shape
carat
color
clarity

Trendy vs Timeless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow LIW!!

Im in the process of choosing my soon to be ering, and in previous posts I have mentioned that Im interested in the a jaffe ring (see below). However, after a discussion with my sis (who has the tiffany setting ering) she suggests i choose a ring that is more timeless rather than trendy such as a solitaire. I used to love solitaires, but I feel they are overdone.

What is your preference when it comes to erings.....trendy or timeless?

01II18.jpg

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, I don''t think the A Jaffe ring looks TOO trendy, at least not so much that in 10 years someone would look at it an go, oh, that''s from 2009. I think there are certainly some styles that tell their age a bit more, but from what I''ve noticed, in my short time researching diamonds and e-rings, some trends come back around pretty quickly, and pave seems to be one of those revolving trends.

If you consider this ring trendy, then I guess I''m a trendy girl, but I just think it''s elegant. I say go with what YOU like. And, if you''re open to changing settings down the line, then you don''t have to worry about this one appearing trendy or outdated, just get another.
2.gif

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Actually those look more like shared-prong, not pave, my mistake. Either way, I still love sides tones!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that anything, fashion, furniture, recipes, date. The ring that you posted is not that trendy and will still look great in 50 years. I don''t think that you''ll be able to pick it as being from the 2010s. Get what you like now. It''s much better to look back in 20 years and laugh that you got married in 2010 than to look down and realise that you were so concerned about not looking dated that you''ve never really liked your ring.

My engagement ring is a round with a tapered baguette on each side. It''s come and gone a bit, but is considered one of the classic Harry Winstom designs - although mine is not HW. I believe it was first made popular in the 1930s and has been in the background for awhile, but I''ve seen a fair amount of again lately.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
The ring you posted is basically my ring (see avatar) and I don''t think it is trendy AT ALL. I think my ring is timeless and I plan to be wearing it in 50 years! And as far as what you choose, it should be what YOU want, not what someone else thinks is ''trendy'' or ''timeless''.

Good choice BTW!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:09:37 PM
Author: Blair138
The ring you posted is basically my ring (see avatar) and I don''t think it is trendy AT ALL. I think my ring is timeless and I plan to be wearing it in 50 years! And as far as what you choose, it should be what YOU want, not what someone else thinks is ''trendy'' or ''timeless''.

Good choice BTW!
exactly! its about what you love, and what represents you!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Get what you want. I personally do not think that the ring you posted is too far off from a basic solitaire with side stones... But even if it was "trendy"... Who cares? Get whatever makes you happy.
9.gif

gossipgirl

Rough_Rock

Good choice BTW!

Thank you all ladies for your feedback. The reason I classified the A Jaffe ring I posted above as "trendy" is simply it has a thinner band, something that is trendy with ering as of late.

Blair 138, how wide/how many mm''s is ur beautiful ring?? The A Jaffe im lookin @ is 2mm and I would prefer it to be a little tad wider.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. I don''t think it''s trendy at all! As for my ering, I guess there are elements you could consider trendy (Split shank? Skinny band? Colored stone?) but I don''t really care. It''s what I like, it''s unique and it''s very us. So be it.

(BTW, this is in reference to my reset, not the current ering...)

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
I'll put in another vote for get what you like.

It may not be trendy, or it may not be timeless, but it will always be a symbol of your love and commitment.

1.gif

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds never go out of fashion. That''s the way I see it.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:28:38 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Get what you want. I personally do not think that the ring you posted is too far off from a basic solitaire with side stones... But even if it was ''trendy''... Who cares? Get whatever makes you happy.
9.gif
Ditto! Having said that I went with a ''trendy'' split shank setting for my e-ring but I think I''m hankering after a simple solitiare now
20.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Solitaires used to bore me... now I adore their restrained elegance! Perceptions change, just go for what you most want now, and think about a reset for your 10th wedding anni, or whatever, if you want to freshen it up at the time.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That is not a trendy design! That is a timeless, classic design!

And I love it!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um I can''t think of a more traditional ring than a solitaire. What sort of ring is she thinking of?

I think the Jaffe setting is lovely.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I misread your post to say that she thought solitaires were trendy. What you have there is a solitaire with a little extra somthin-somthin.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I think that setting is timeless. Sure, thin shanks are "in," but I don''t think that makes that setting overly trendy at all. If you want to up your shank to 3mm, go ahead! Just make sure you like 3mm bands on *your* hand first!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should get something you will never fall out of love with. I know on this website, it''s a little difficult with all the GORGEOUS bling there is on here to look at everyday, but if you want a ring that might be considered "trendy" now, go for it! You can make it classic!
17.gif

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:47:21 PM
Author: gossipgirl

Good choice BTW!

Thank you all ladies for your feedback. The reason I classified the A Jaffe ring I posted above as ''trendy'' is simply it has a thinner band, something that is trendy with ering as of late.

Blair 138, how wide/how many mm''s is ur beautiful ring?? The A Jaffe im lookin @ is 2mm and I would prefer it to be a little tad wider.

I have no idea how many mm''s wide mine is
33.gif
I am actually going to the jeweler this week to get my band so I will ask, mine is pretty thin though...

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.5 round brilliant solitaire that I LOVE and I think I can definitely play with. I look forward to pairing it with a plain platinum band as well as a five stone ring or even an eternity or two after a few anniversaries.

That said, I think the ring you posted is absolutely classic. There are other styles out there that while more "trendy" don''t stop being beautiful. Also, I agree that ring styles come and go out of style fairly quickly.

Pick what you and your fiance love so that when you look at your hand a thousand times a day, you smile and think of how happy you were when that ring slid onto your finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results