shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling with an infant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for tips from BTDT moms and dads for traveling with an infant.

DH and I will be traveling across the country with our son in July, which will make up about 10 months old at the time. We are using the trip to visit some relatives in a couple of different places, so not only will there be flying across the country, but also long drives involved.

As for flying, do you travel with your children on your lap, or do you buy them their own seat? Do you gate check your stroller and car seat? Do those count as pieces of luggage that you must pay for? Any tips for keeping kids comfortable and occupied on a plane for 5+ hours?

Once we get to our first destination, we will then be driving to two other destinations. One trip will be a four-5 hour drive, and the other will be at least a 7 hour drive. Will this be doable with a 10 month old? Would you suggest just spending the money to get a short connecting flight? If we decide to do the drive, what can we do to make the car ride bearable? Should we bring our own car seat, or just rent from the rental car agency?

Also, what do you usually bring for your kids to sleep in when you travel? We will most likely be staying with relatives most places and not in hotels, so we will need to bring some sort of sleeping accommodations for the baby.

That is a lot of questions! Hopefully someone can help me with at least a couple
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have traveled with DD frequently both with and w/o DH. DD sat on my lap until she was about 22 months. Honestly close to two she was just too big and it wasn''t worth the risk hoping there would be an empty seat. 10 months is a good age b/c most children are not walking yet. We would put her in the Bijion (sp?) to make it a bit easier. Keep in mind that your baby cannot be strapped to you during take off or landing. At your son''s age I traveled with the infant car seat and snap ''n go. That way we had the car seat to use on our trip. I did gate checked them but put the car seat in a garbage bag to keep it clean/safe. The FA will give you a special gate check bags. If you have a layover you will pick up the stroller in between flights (which is good b/c you can use it in the airport).

You can baggage check a pack ''n play which is best bet. I know TGal loves some sort of inflatable bed. Can''t remember what it was called. Hotels do provide cribs if you request them. Can your family members borrow a p''np from someone? That would help cut down what you have to bring. Bring duct tape to baby proof.

On the plan distractions are key. Bring LOTS of snacks, toys, books. If you have a good napper time the flight during his nap time so he will sleep onboard. Keep in mind most planes do NOT have changing tables in the bathroom. So be prepared with ziplock bags. I actually brought two diaper bags. Main one and a smaller on (in the main) with the takeoff and landing must haves (bottle, binky, small blanket, some snacks, toy). Bring a change of clothes in the main one b/c spills happen. Dress him in something comfortable.

I would spend the money to cut out the drives personally. That being said DD went on a 11 hour drive (each way) around 9 months. It is tough for sure but you can do it. Again, snacks, toys, and I would plan them around when he sleeps. At that age DD slept in the car like a champ so we drove when she would sleep.

Hope that helps.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We''re flying next month with a 14 month old, so I looked into it a bit. Most airlines let you gate check a stroller and car seat and it does not count as baggage, but you''ll want to check the airline you''re flying with to make sure.

Last Thanksgiving we drove all over SoCal with a 9 month old. What worked best was to time the drives to be during nap time/bed time, so that he would sleep as much as possible. We would stop every 2-3 hours to feed and let him loose for a bit. We did manage 8 hours of driving in one day, with a few hour break in the middle, and no melt downs and I didn''t even have to sit in the back seat with him.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When driving, put a blanket under your baby to protect your car seat. The reason I suggest this is because my kids use to get car sick and throw up on nearly EVERY road trip. I''m not sure if they did so at 10 months, but as they grew older, it happened EVERY time.

My son was 7 months when he first flew with us and I held him and used one of those attachment things so if the plane hits turbulence, he didn''t go flying off. Our trip was short . . .Seattle to Vegas. 2.5 hours or something like that.

We rented car seats and booster seats for the kids. I think we took our stroller with us the first time. . .the next time we took a plane, the kids were too old for strollers.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have flown so many different airlines and have never had trouble gate checking her stroller (and car seat when she was in her carrier). Keep in mind when you go through security you will have to put the car seat and stroller (unless it is full size) through the x-ray. You even have to take off your baby''s shoes (no joke) so make sure you give yourself enough time. Also you MUST carry the baby (not wear) through the metal detector.

MC, your poor kids! I am lucky that DD has never gotten car sick.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 3:46:30 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I have flown so many different airlines and have never had trouble gate checking her stroller (and car seat when she was in her carrier). Keep in mind when you go through security you will have to put the car seat and stroller (unless it is full size) through the x-ray. You even have to take off your baby''s shoes (no joke) so make sure you give yourself enough time. Also you MUST carry the baby (not wear) through the metal detector.

MC, your poor kids! I am lucky that DD has never gotten car sick.
Does that mean they do not charge you the $25 for check in for stroller, PNP,etc.? Probably depends on the airline but seems like these days they are nickle and diming everyone.

Pretty funny (and ridiculous) on the removing of baby shoes.

I have yet to travel with C, kind of scared to! Maybe this year (and only to visit family so there''s help on the other side!).
And I used to be a big traveller.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine, I do it alone all the time. YOU CAN DO IT! Yes, she was only maybe 6 months at the time. She was wearing little sandals and they told me I had to remove them. She has also gotten patted down before. So funny. I have NEVER been charged for gate checks. Airlines let you gate check luggage for free so it is basically the same thing. I do pay to check a suitcase b/c come on, there is no way I am THAT capable to handle a toddler, stroller, diaper bag all alone.

OH I FORGOT! Some airports (more than you would expect) have play rooms which are perfect to burn some energy between flights. Call or check a map before hand. Airports family bathrooms are also really nice and roomy.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Janine,

My understanding is that you can gate check a stroller and carseat for free (i.e. no $25 charge). I believe a PNP would have to be checked and would be subject to a $25 fee. FYI - we are planning travel to a couple of places in the next few months and all the hotels we are staying at have pack ''n plays available. I had heard bad things about hotel cribs (i.e. that they were unsafe), but all the hotels we are staying at have switched to pack n'' plays. They are pretty high end hotels, so not sure if other hotels have gone this route.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
janine, we haven''t flown in a while with the kids but they definitely didn''t charge to gate check the stroller and carseat. GATE check. If you check them with your luggage, I would assume you have to pay nowadays. And we had to do the same as Tacori--remove little baby shoes before going through security. It''s so ridiculous!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 2:49:57 PM
Author:so cal girl
I''m looking for tips from BTDT moms and dads for traveling with an infant.

DH and I will be traveling across the country with our son in July, which will make up about 10 months old at the time. We are using the trip to visit some relatives in a couple of different places, so not only will there be flying across the country, but also long drives involved.

As for flying, do you travel with your children on your lap, or do you buy them their own seat? Do you gate check your stroller and car seat? Do those count as pieces of luggage that you must pay for? Any tips for keeping kids comfortable and occupied on a plane for 5+ hours?

Once we get to our first destination, we will then be driving to two other destinations. One trip will be a four-5 hour drive, and the other will be at least a 7 hour drive. Will this be doable with a 10 month old? Would you suggest just spending the money to get a short connecting flight? If we decide to do the drive, what can we do to make the car ride bearable? Should we bring our own car seat, or just rent from the rental car agency?

Also, what do you usually bring for your kids to sleep in when you travel? We will most likely be staying with relatives most places and not in hotels, so we will need to bring some sort of sleeping accommodations for the baby.

That is a lot of questions! Hopefully someone can help me with at least a couple
1.gif
Hi SoCal, my son is 3 now, but we did our first big trip with him when he was 10 months, so here''s what I would advise:

1. Buy your child their own seat on the plane. You will need to bring a carseat anyway (better than renting one), and it is MUCH safer for the child to be in a carseat, in his own seat, on the airplane (also, this way you don''t have to check the carseat as luggage). Airlines offer discounted seats for infants, but you need to call and ask for it. Also, it will be much more comfortable for you if you have a place to put the baby if he falls asleep, instead of having to spend 5 hours holding him and not having free hands. Regarding strollers, you just check it at the gate (right as you get on the plane) and there is no charge for that.

2. We did an 8 hour drive with DS when he was 10 months old to go to an out-of-state funeral, because we didn''t have enough notice to buy place tickets. It was a miserable experience (our son rarely sleeps in the car). I would advise just buying tickets for a connecting flight for the baby''s comfort and for yours. It''s not like years ago when our mothers could hold us in their laps in the car. Babies are miserable when restrained in a carseat for that long.

3. Our son always slept in a Pack N Play. Each of our parents has one, so we never had to bring it visiting grandparents, but it''s really handy when you travel other places, and worth bringing & checking.

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Urgh, just wrote a long response, and PS ate it. But in a nutshell, thanks for all the suggestions!

A couple of updates. I think we are going to take a red eye on our flight out there, since otherwise we''ll lose a whole day traveling, and maybe he will sleep most of the flight. At least that''s what I''m hoping for
1.gif

My DH really wants to drive from place to place (for some reason he loves road trips), but I''m thinking maybe we''ll break the long drive (7 hours) into two days and make a stop somewhere in the middle for a night.

Our DS is already in his convertible carseat, so that is what we''ll be traveling with. With something that size, should we check it as luggage? I have also seen those frames with wheels that turn a convertible carseat into a stroller. Would one of those be a good idea? I''m not even sure what stroller we will be bringing. Right now we have a BOB and a Bugaboo Bee, and I''m not sure either one will be great to travel with.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
i''m a little late with a response, but we''ve flown twice with our 16 mo old son in the past month. i *think* that airlines are not allowed to charge a baggage fee for checking baby gear, but you should definitely check. we flew alaska air once and they did NOT charge to check our convertible carseat, so that was very easy. and as tacori said, they gave us a nice, heavyweight plastic bag to put it in so it stayed clean and somewhat protected. the other time we flew southwest and they don''t charge for baggage anyway. both times we have gate checked our stroller. i LOVE doing that. the first flight we took the BOB (which is great b/c it''s too big to put through the metal detector so they just hand screen it), and more recently i flew with my Uppa Vista (which i think is about the same size as the Bugaboo). They did make me put it through, but it was no big deal. Last week i traveled alone with coby on the plane and had no problems. i ALWAYS wear him (currently in a mei-tei like carrier on my back), and have from 4 months on (we have taken probably about 5 round trip flights with him). they have never made me take him off to go through security, which makes it so easy. and i have been through both big and small airports with no problems (LAX, san fran, seattle, tucson, burbank, etc). i LOVE wearing him and pushing the stroller with our carryons on it (and just gate checking it). and after we get our bags at the claim, i still wear coby and the stroller is a GREAT place to put the huge carseat (with all the carryons under it).

don''t know if any of that made sense, but hth somewhat!!

good luck!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lia, I am surprised they let you wear him! Never for me! Found stick something in there I guess. Also I cannot believe they GAVE you a bag! Did you fly first class? Wow. That is service. I just bring my own.

so cal, hmmm....if you are not getting him a seat I would rent a car seat. Otherwise bring it on board. MAKE SURE IT IS APPROVED FOR AIR TRAVEL. Britaxs are.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results