shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel suggestions needed for August please!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking of taking a week-long trip somewhere, probably around the first or second weeks of August.

My requirements:
1) Overseas, but not Mexico, Costa Rica, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, or Spain (because I've been to those countries);
2) Relatively cheap (so Europe is probably going to be out - I'd like to spend no more than $1500 max for flight/accommodations and food - is that possible?); and
3) Fairly safe. I may be going alone, or I may be going with one other girl friend. Either way, unsettled areas aren't going to be ideal. That said, I am not a pampered pansy and I certainly don't need super luxurious or whatnot.

Suggestions? I'm open to resorts, if it's going to be someplace tropical (and it's not hurricane season), and I'm also open to booking hotels, activities, etc. on my own.

I do not want to be in a tour group or anything like that, however. I guess I prefer to set my own agenda and schedule.

Thanks all!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Bali? Airfare might be expensive but when you are there hotels and food are dirt cheap. I have had many friends in the expat community love it there!

have you looked on budget travel.com to see if they have any tours someplace? If I not I highly recommend checking out their website. They post amazing deals.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
What area are you flying from?

Flight costs can add up quickly so that's kind of necessary info. $1500 might be tight.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Right now, I'm thinking of two different options. One is to book an all-inclusive, maybe in the DR, for a week. Another is to book a flight and some hotels and head down to Belize or Panama. Both aren't too expensive, travel time shouldn't be eaten up by crazy flights, and both options are pretty safe.

It kind of depends on what I'm aiming for and how much time I want to put into planning. My friend may join me but I'm planning as if she's not, since she's not sure what she's doing over the summer.

Sarahbear - would love to go to Bali, but I think flights would eat up a large chunk of my budget!

Ms. P - I'll be flying out from either San Jose or San Francisco - whichever one gets me the best flight prices. Thankfully large busy airports!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G., DH and I honeymooned in Belize at the end of June/beginning of July. My only caution for August is that it's wet season, and wet season = mosquitos! Our beach resort did a lot to take care of them, and DH and I coated ourselves in DEET repellants and sprays and burned mosquito coils on our casita's porch, and we STILL got bitten quite a bit.

We didn't really encounter them at all at our inland resort. I'm not sure if that was due to better management of the problem, or if we got there right at the beginning of the bad season and they hadn't worked their way inland yet.

That being said, we had a FABULOUS time. The snorkeling on the reef there is pretty amazing, and the Mayan ruins are so interesting! We stayed in the Cayo District in San Ignacio for the inland part of our trip, and then on Ambergris Caye for the beach portion. Both were lovely, but there are plenty of other amazing places to stay as well!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm a travel agent on the side. You could definitely do a week in the DR for your budget. Keep in mind that it's hurricane season, though

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Eep, ok overabundance of mosquitoes is actually a bit of dealbreaker, because I get eaten alive. It's awful - they ignore everyone else I'm with. I can't even get into the month in NYC in the summer where mosquitoes kept finding their way into my apt. My then BF NEVER got a bite.

So another option is I can go for a week in June, right after school gets out and before I start teaching summer school. That may be better in terms of weather in Central America or the Caribbean, and also means I make my mom happy by being able to go home in Aug. for a short while.

In that case, I'm strongly leaning towards Panama or Belize. I've been to Costa Rica - did two weeks there, no resorts, public transportation all around the country (Arenal, Nicoya peninsula, Manuel Antonio, etc.). The only thing is that when I did that, I was with my ex so not traveling alone. On the other hand, I'm the one who speaks Spanish and could get by, and at least with Belize, it's an English-speaking country.

Vc10um - so glad to hear you liked Belize! I had a friend who went there for spring break a few years ago (with her fiance, and this during law school, so they weren't the hard partying types) and she loved it as well.

Amc80 - what a fun job! Or at least I imagine it would be :) What do you think of the Central Amer. plan?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
BEG, we went to Belize on our honeymoon the second week in August. I don't recall the mosquitos being awful at all. We had a fantastic time. Safe, speak English, not overly expensive, beautiful, fun. We really really enjoyed our time there and flew from the Northeast and it was not a long flight. I totally recommend it and if you decide on Belize, can give you some ideas for fun places, good restaurants, etc.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1362538828|3397554 said:
Amc80 - what a fun job! Or at least I imagine it would be :) What do you think of the Central Amer. plan?
It is fun, and it's something I can do on the side. I've still got a boring ol' 8-5 job :)
As a single woman traveling alone, I'd recommend the Caribbean over Central America. But, of course, it depends on what you want to do on your vacation.

You mentioned changing to June. It may be better weather wise but it will cost you more- prime travel season. Wait until the kids go back to school (or are getting ready to do so) in August and you'll save some money. But then you run into that pesky hurricane problem. You might look into "cancel for any reason" travel insurance. It's not expensive (less than $100) and could save your butt if needed.

You can definitely do an all inclusive in DR for under $1500, including air and insurance (including a hurricane benefit).

SB621

Ideal_Rock

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Have you been to Lake Louise in Canada? could be a nice mix of spa/hiking/scenery.

I've been to Belize and I 2nd the mosquito warning. It's not my favorite.

I've been all over the Caribbean and I like the "feel" of Bonaire best. If I'm vacationing alone I just want to relax in a fairly laid back setting. I want luxurious but I don't want to have to get all dressed up in a nice cocktail dress to go to dinner. I don't want families or kids. [sorry!] And I quite dislike when the tiny islands are bombarded with cruise passengers. I like a variety of things to do-- scuba, biking, hiking, nice small town I can walk around.

What do you like to do on vacation? do you like scenery or cultural things? do you like big cities or more rural areas? do you like to be alone or in a bustling area where you can meet people?

Give us more parameters.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Love the central america idea!

I never get the it's hurricane season, so don't go thing. The chances of one hitting wherever you are at is the same as having an earthquake in the bay. Another few Caribbean islands to consider are the french side of St Martin and the BVI. Both safe, amazing, and great non-all inclusive options.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Sorry I've been so MIA. I've been reading the suggestions though, and I'm leaning towards Central America for a week in August. I've traveled to Mexico in September during hurricane season and I was fine... :)

And for Belize, it's really just rainy, not hurricane-y. Sarahbear, thanks for the link! It looks fabulous! I think I want to wait to book until I have my first summer salary though, but I hadn't thought of checking LivingSocial, Groupon, or TheClymb for their escape deals - now I'm checking obsessively. I'm so excited - I'm kind of pumped about the thought of going alone, honestly. I feel like a week alone time traveling would be so good for me!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ms P|1362604402|3398278 said:
Have you been to Lake Louise in Canada? could be a nice mix of spa/hiking/scenery.

I've been to Belize and I 2nd the mosquito warning. It's not my favorite.

I've been all over the Caribbean and I like the "feel" of Bonaire best. If I'm vacationing alone I just want to relax in a fairly laid back setting. I want luxurious but I don't want to have to get all dressed up in a nice cocktail dress to go to dinner. I don't want families or kids. [sorry!] And I quite dislike when the tiny islands are bombarded with cruise passengers. I like a variety of things to do-- scuba, biking, hiking, nice small town I can walk around.

What do you like to do on vacation? do you like scenery or cultural things? do you like big cities or more rural areas? do you like to be alone or in a bustling area where you can meet people?

Give us more parameters.

Yes - I was up there last June. GORGEOUS area!

Hm, sounds like we have similar traveling interests. I don't care about luxurious so much but I don't want seedy, obviously. No families or kids for me either, honestly, for vacationing. And I love small towns. I'm not a scuba diver but I'd like a place where I could snorkle, hiking, some ruins would be fun too if there are any (any cultural stuff). I don't want to be in a city - laidback town is just the vibe I want.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Come to Hawaii! I shall be there second week of August. :naughty:

I promise to show you a good time. I'm very flexible and frisky :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results