shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel recommendations please :)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It's about time to start planning our holidays for next year, but I'm a bit stuck. We'll have 5 weeks in total, but the first two weeks are already accounted for. It's the next three weeks that has me puzzled.

I need European recommendations - but more obscure ones. I've already done most of the common tourist areas of Europe as much as I want to at this point. The UK, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, Greece, you know. I'm wanting to go somewhere new, so am thinking the more northern areas of Europe, or eastern. My ideal holiday is generally away from the largest crowds and biggest cities (for example, I chose Milos as my Greek island destination, over the more popular picks). And I greatly appreciate sheer natural beauty - waterfalls, mountains, beaches, etc. Would appreciate places that are not prohibitively expensive, and I do NOT do all-inclusive set ups. I am all for local culture, but appreciate places that are not so far fetched that finding 'normal' food is an issue.

Ideas? Pictures of places you've been that might fit the bill? :bigsmile:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Norway!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Where abouts? What would you recommend doing/seeing in Norway? I must admit I know very little about that particular area.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Canada - Cape Breton or Newfoundland - very interesting and a different 'world'. Rustic, natural, awesome scenery... Not a routine holiday.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yeah Norway is fab. I'd maybe check out Bergen or Ålesund and go from there.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Am looking into Norway now - not sure Canada or the Maldives fit the bill as a European destination. :sick: The photos of Norway on Tripadvisor are really beautiful, just the sort of place I was imagining.

Now to find one of the Absolut ice bars... :devil:

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I've been to Hungary and thought it was nice and have heard that the Czech Republic (esp. Prague) is beautiful.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I would also suggest a trip up the coast of Norway seeing some fjords.

I have heard mixed things about the "Hurtigruten" postal boat cruises, some people thought it was amazing, others thought it was a bit boring for more than a 1-2 days. I heard you can also do the trip by train or rental car.

Apparently, taking the mountain railway to Flam and back (http://www.visitflam.com/default.asp) is a must-do.

Bergen is supposed to be lovely.

As an alternative country, have you been to Slovenia? People describe it as incredibly picturesque and miniature Disneyland fairy-tale like.

If you're at all interested in soccer, why not do a stint in Eastern Europe this Summer for the Euro 2012 (Poland/Ukraine)?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to Iceland a few years ago in August, and it was absolutely surreal. Such a beautiful country with so much to do!
We went hiking and saw waterfalls, dog sledding over glaciers, saw blue whales, rode horses over volcanic ash, hung out with the sheep that were roaming all over the place, lol. Seriously though, it's absolutely stunning there, definitely on the top of my list of favorite vacations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results