shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel help - US to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I need some help from anyone with experience or knowledge about this. FI and I are planning a trip this January to Whistler, BC in Canada for snowboarding. We live in North Carolina and will be leaving RDU airport. The plan is to fly into Vancouver then there are shuttles that take you up to Whistler. We''ve gone back and forth as far as the plan for which airline and how to take everything up there with us (snowboards + bindings + boots = big "oversized" bag at airport = major fees).

At first we were going to fly United, but they don''t allow any bags over 62" period, so we can''t fly with them and take the boards. Then we looked at Air Canada, but they''re apparently notorious for losing baggage and flight delays (well, most airlines are nowadays). But they do allow you to pre-register sports equipment and waive the oversized baggage fee.

Now, for various reasons (mainly dependability) we''re planning on shipping our boards via UPS in a hard case that holds all the gear up to the hotel and having them hold it for us. Still not sure on the flight though, since the options are opened back up if we ship the boards separately.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there has any advice or knowledge on flying with big equipment like that, or flying to Canada period, or even better, if you have any knowledge about shipping them over the US/Canada border. Some things I read say if you use any shipping service higher than "standard" then they waive the customs charge ($71 CAD), but I still see lots of other fees past the shipping charges.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
1.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend you do not ship anything, but take it with you.If Air Canada will fly it for free then don''t look any further.If you ship it it sometimes can take weeks before it clears customs ( especially this time of the year) and you may miss it altogether.
Just pack it well and put a big label and it should be fine.Enjoy your flight and enjoy your trip.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Myself and Wifey2b have had good luck with Air Canada.
Haven''t lost one bag and were only delayed once for about 20min and they streamlined customs so people could catch connecting flights on the other end. (opened a separate line just for us)
You will need a passport so make sure you both have one.

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
Fly Air Canada.

They are reliable, i''ve used them tons. And if they are going to waive the fee, no questions!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve flown Air Canada LOTS and just about every other airline in the world as well, and have never found Air Canada to be in any way ''notorious'' for anything. Both delays and baggage loss depend far more on the airport than the airline, as it''s not the airlines staff that handle bags and most delays are caused by airport overload / inefficiency / weather. Equipment problems are a much rarer cause.

So I don''t think you need to hesitate about that.

Make sure your passport is up to date! Have fun!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I really think there is a chance that any flight might lose your baggage...take precaution steps- will there be a connecting flight? If there is..maybe try to flag your bag with tags that indicate where you are going- and when they give you the baggage claim tags make sure they are placed in an obvious area (they use these I believe to track where the luggage goes)
Air Canada is fine, and I''ve traveled with lots of bags before without ever losing one!
I would avoid shipping them, that seems even scarier to me then bringing them on the plane.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 12:35:30 PM
Author:luvthemstrawberries
I need some help from anyone with experience or knowledge about this. FI and I are planning a trip this January to Whistler, BC in Canada for snowboarding. We live in North Carolina and will be leaving RDU airport. The plan is to fly into Vancouver then there are shuttles that take you up to Whistler. We''ve gone back and forth as far as the plan for which airline and how to take everything up there with us (snowboards + bindings + boots = big ''oversized'' bag at airport = major fees).

At first we were going to fly United, but they don''t allow any bags over 62'' period, so we can''t fly with them and take the boards. Then we looked at Air Canada, but they''re apparently notorious for losing baggage and flight delays (well, most airlines are nowadays). But they do allow you to pre-register sports equipment and waive the oversized baggage fee.

Now, for various reasons (mainly dependability) we''re planning on shipping our boards via UPS in a hard case that holds all the gear up to the hotel and having them hold it for us. Still not sure on the flight though, since the options are opened back up if we ship the boards separately.

I just wanted to see if anyone out there has any advice or knowledge on flying with big equipment like that, or flying to Canada period, or even better, if you have any knowledge about shipping them over the US/Canada border. Some things I read say if you use any shipping service higher than ''standard'' then they waive the customs charge ($71 CAD), but I still see lots of other fees past the shipping charges.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
1.gif
Air Canada rocks! Take your items with you!! The only thing I can tell you about flying to Canada, is to buy a one way ticket, cuz you ain''t gonna want to leave, once you get here (especially Whistler)! Have a blast!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't help you w/air flight, but wanted to mention that Dh and the kids and I went to Whistler a few years back and DH had a blast snowboarding! We drove there and got a flat on the way. lol Luckily we had a good quality spare tire.

And Beau is right about wanting to stay in Canada - not whistler though. . .too cold. But, we go up to BC a few times a year and always talk about moving there.

Oh, it's funny. Everyone at Whistler has accents. Possibly from Austrailia or New Zealand?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been travelling backwards and forwards to UK from Canada for the last 11 year, as have various members of my family.

Never lost any luggage. I do know of people whose luggage have been misplaced, but usually Air Canada will deliver it to you within 24 hours or so.

Have a lovely holiday

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Another endorsement for Air Canada. We have travelled numerous times with them - Europe, Caribbean, Florida, and western Canada. Never have had one complaint
36.gif

Bon voyage!
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
would be be cheaper and easier just to rent equipment there?

movie zombie

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure you can''t check the boards with United? I know I''ve flown United for snowboard trips before. That was before the checked bag fees, but their webpage still says that a snowboard bag and boot bag count as one checked bag (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52906,00.html#snowboard). You just have to make sure it stays under the 50 lb weight limit...

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Wow you guys are awesome. So much help! Thank you for all the responses so far!! We are DEFINITELY looking forward to the trip - I can''t wait, and I know I''m probably just going to want to stay up there foverever! We are staying in the Fairmont Vancouver Airport hotel (IN the airport) the night before we fly home to ease the travel stress - plus it''s such a cool hotel, and you can see the planes from everywhere!

The Air Canada flight had a layover in Toronto (where I think we would go through customs instead of when we get to Vancouver, which saves time), and the United flight had a layover in Chicago (which would put us going through customs in Vancouver). But the times are staggered enough that we''d get there and go through customs with United and be done about the same time as if we just got there with Air Canada.

We were seriously considering Air Canada, but FI said he read on both United and Air Canada that the first leg of the flight up there and the last leg coming home were both smaller planes (2x2 seating) that said they can''t hold such large baggage. I need to look into that.

Movie Zombie - FI has mentioned renting a few times too, just to avoid the stress of this. But we''ve been building up our gear collection for quite some time, and both of us have done the renting multiple times before. We''re so ready to use our own equipment and have it already tuned and ready to go ourselves. However, he''s also mentioned taking our own boots/bindings and renting just boards. Still something to think about.

Laine - Thank you so much for that website - I never saw that before! I will definitely be looking into that. Sounds kind of like what Air Canada was offering too.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve flown Air Canada numerous times, and I love it.

However: a lot of Air Canada flights are operated by United. I believe that if the flight number has four digits, it''s a United flight, although you book through Air Canada. (I''m pretty sure that''s the way I used to distinguish.) Maybe that explains the baggage restriction on the shorter hop?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We've had our fair share of gripes with AC--but they accomodate oversized luggage like most airlines....we paid $50 bucks/one way for my DH's golf clubs this summer to fly about...PS have fun in Whistler!
36.gif

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never had any issues with Air Canada and have flown with them many many times. I recommend calling Air Canada and speaking to someone about the skis etc. Tourism and especially tourism to Whistler is a BIG DEAL in Canada, and knowing you are coming to a resort may change things in the baggage arena.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
soooo I just re-read this thread (despite already giving you my opinion) AHEM I think you should make your way over to Banff...and come see meeeeee!
hahaha, that being said, I still think you''re safe with Air Canada...!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Surely because it''s an international flight you get a more generous baggage allowance?

We''ve flown both Air Canada and United many times to Canada and the US, we always bring a pair of skis each in a ski bag each, a boot bag each, and a suitcase each, all included in the luggage allowance.

I''ve had pieces of luggage delayed (my suitcase once, and my ski bag on another trip) but only between Vancouver and Kelowna (Air Canada), never been a problem into Vancouver.

Yes, as posted - there are thousands of Australians and Kiwis in Whistler.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results