shape
carat
color
clarity

Travel eye-candy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 7:52:21 PM
Author: Skippy123
Traveling G,
You need to do that drive!!! It is gorgeous. Also, go to Haleakala and do the bike ride down at sunrise! Go to the Io Needle on the Northeast part of Maui; it is very cool and their is a little stream. It makes a nice picture!! If you are interested in a luau go to the ''Old Lahina Luau.'' It is smaller more intimate with all you can drink drinks
2.gif
You will have soooooo much fun!
Thanks Skippy. I heard the OLL is one of the better ones, but I''m leaning toward the Feast at LeLe if we even do a luau at all. I dunno...it doesn''t seem to tickle my fancy but I will have to ask TGuy what he is up for. I think if we splurge on a meal, it will be Mama''s Fish House...the reviews seem good. The Road to Hana does seem lovely though.

The bike ride thing sounds fun. Getting up super early does not!
14.gif

Ann, pretty photo! I can''t do heli rides...I hate flying as a general rule. Too bad though since that is a gorgeous view!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy,
What on earth are you apologising for?!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Grand Canyon of the Pacific - Kauai

InteriorKauai.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif
Gosh Ann! Seeing your pics makes me want to dig up my pics and post them here. Maybe I will; you have inspired me
31.gif

Thanks Harriet!
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s a famous seafood restaurant at the Fairmont (Nick''s?). It''s awful and expensive.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 7:53:13 PM
Author: Harriet
TG,
Will do.
The road to Hana is extremely scenic (if there''s no drought) -- ocean, waterfalls (?), bamboo forests, black lava beaches. Will you be staying on the northern part of Maui? If so, the drive will be shorter. Oh yah, and it has a gazillion turns.

Ann,
I''ve never figured out how to pronounce the name of that island.
We will probably be on west maui. Kaanapali, so I know it''s a bit longer.

I''ve never been prone to carsickness until I went to Italy and did the Amalfi Coast on a bus (they pack em in like sardines). My head was just spinning from that one. Then we did the Great Ocean Road in Oz, and that didn''t feel too good either. I''m wondering if the road to Hana is going to be my road to Hurla.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Salzburg...playing giant chess under the fort...

Salzburg-chess.JPG

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Years ago before they improved the road, it was scary, at least to me.
But on it again last year - piece of cake - easy drive.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 8:07:52 PM
Author: Ann
Years ago before they improved the road, it was scary, at least to me.
But on it again last year - piece of cake - easy drive.
Thanks Ann. I'm always willing to give something a try once. I'll just bring bags........

Harriet, this one is for you. View from the walk around the wall in Dubrovnik.

seaandwall123.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 8:00:24 PM
Author: TravelingGal

We will probably be on west maui. Kaanapali, so I know it's a bit longer.

I've never been prone to carsickness until I went to Italy and did the Amalfi Coast on a bus (they pack em in like sardines). My head was just spinning from that one. Then we did the Great Ocean Road in Oz, and that didn't feel too good either. I'm wondering if the road to Hana is going to be my road to Hurla.
It could very well be. When I got to Hana, I had to nap in the car for a bit.
I've always wanted to see the Great Ocean Road. Any pictures?
Thanks for the Dubrovnik picture.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 8:15:33 PM
It could very well be. When I got to Hana, I had to nap in the car for a bit.
I''ve always wanted to see the Great Ocean Road. Any pictures?
Thanks for the Dubrovnik picture.
Welcome.

Yes, I have pics, but nothing stellar since it was just crappo weather that day.

Here''s one...

IMG_0299.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_0940.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers that is gorgeous TG even if it was a crappy day!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
pic of TGuy and myself so you can see the scale of these the apostles...

IMG_0932.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And lastly, shortly before our trip there, one of the Apostles collapsed. So we tried to make up for it and add in our own...
3.gif
20.gif
9.gif

IMG_02981232.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha! I heard it collapsed with a couple on it. Wonder it that''s just urban legend.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 8:29:32 PM
Haha! I heard it collapsed with a couple on it. Wonder it that''s just urban legend.
Not the most recent one. But years ago there used to be one apostle out there with a "bridge" (natural, not man made I believe) which DID collapse with people on the other side, from what I understand.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s the one I''m thinking of. How many are intact?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Traveling Girl,
What places have you been to? It sounds like you have been to many exciting places! What is your advice on seeing as many places for not a lot of money? Or is there none?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, there are 8 now. They used to be called the Sow and the Piglets, but were changed to give them a more impressive name. They were changed to the 12 apostles even though there were only 9 at the time.

Date: 4/26/2007 8:58:36 PM
Author: Skippy123
Traveling Girl,
What places have you been to? It sounds like you have been to many exciting places! What is your advice on seeing as many places for not a lot of money? Or is there none?

Skippy, I haven''t traveled as much as I would have liked. I still haven''t been anywhere in Asia (funny since I''m Korean and all). Most of my travels have been in North America, Australia and Europe.

You can certainly see places for not a lot of money, but this won''t mean the best hotels (which you probably already know.) Sometimes it just takes a bit of a sense of adventure....I''d often get off a ferry or a train just hoping someone would offer me a room for cheap. In Naoussa, I got a water front room for 25 euro a night. Just awesome.

I hostel, find small hotels, etc. I research research research...great finds can be had, and you can almost be sure that someone else has found it before you so lots of advice exists on the web. Go off season or shoulder season. I find places that offer breakfast, and don''t eat much til dinner. I picnic a lot. Let me tell you, a meat, cheese and fruit picnic sitting on the edge of the canals in Venice was better than any fancy restaurant that I could have gone too. I just felt free! Below is a pic of our picnic with Venice in the background...I disguised her face as I don''t think she wants her photo on the web. It''s a gal I met the week prior and we still keep in touch. We''ve got a picnic of wine, meat, cheese, bread, blood oranges, grapes and strawberries. Cheap and yum!

Don''t get me wrong...I love posh resorts and fancy restaurants. But most of us have to penny pinch somewhere and there are fun ways to do it. Never book a tour from a hotel. Do it yourself. One thing I never skimp on is seeing the sites (that''s what I''m there for), but I find out which ones are really worthwhile. Sometimes the bottom line is how much do you want to be pampered, and how much hassle can you handle?

03250001.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where else have you been in Australia?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:41:19 AM
Where else have you been in Australia?
You lived in Sydney before, correct?

Just Cairns, Port Douglas, Sydney, Melboune, and Adelaide. Going to Kangaroo Island this Christmas, so that will be new.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Correct.
Unfortunately, when I was in Sydney, I was on a student budget and didn''t get to see much. I took DF there for Christmas/New Year''s ''06 and had a whale of a time. At some point, I''d like to rent a house on Sydney''s Palm Beach -- scenic and remote, and not too far from the city. The seafood is unparalled.
Where is Kangaroo Island? Do you live on the West Coast? Oz is so far from the East Coast.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:55:45 AM
Correct.
Unfortunately, when I was in Sydney, I was on a student budget and didn't get to see much. I took DF there for Christmas/New Year's '06 and had a whale of a time. At some point, I'd like to rent a house on Sydney's Palm Beach -- scenic and remote, and not too far from the city. The seafood is unparalled.
Where is Kangaroo Island? Do you live on the West Coast? Oz is so far from the East Coast.
Yes, I do live on the west coast...it would be miserable to get there from the East. I love Palm Beach...it was one of my favs. There is a FANTASTIC sandwich place there where I had the best sandwich I have ever ever had. I still have dreams about it. I never thought I would want a SANDWICH to end.

The thing I remember about Palm Beach was that we heard a girl scream in pain and then all of the sudden everyone started to come out of the water and away from the water's edge. Gotta love Australia...little blue jellyfish decided to come and hang out. The icky part was their stingers were long and hidden in the sand, so you could get stung without seeing what you were stepping on. Ick!

ETA, Kangaroo island a ferry ride away from Adelaide. It's supposed to have great wildlife!

Here they are..

12290004.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try flying coach on a full flight! Australia has the weirdest flora and fauna. Btw, did you go to Tetsuya's? It's my favourite restaurant in the whole wide world. And we, er, eat out a lot.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 1:20:26 AM
Try flying coach on a full flight! Australia has the weirdest flora and fauna. Btw, did you go to Tetsuya's? It's my favourite restaurant in the whole wide world. And we, er, eat out a lot.
I feel your pain. The first time I went to Oz, I went business class. I thought it was the easiest flight ever. I've flown coach since. Qantas makes it bearable, but NEVER will I fly a 767 to Oz on United. 14 hour flight and only one movie screen in the very front of the cabin. You can't even see it.

Yes, I think I mentioned on another thread I went to Tetsuya...I'd love to go back because unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have...I had the flu and my taste buds were dead! But even with only half functioning tastebuds, I could tell it was magnificient. TGuy and our other friends were in absolute heaven.

Did you go more than once and enjoy it just as much?

ETA, I kind of have to laugh...one minute on this thread I'm talking about picnicking to save money, and the next we are talking about Tetsuya, which wasn't exactly a bargain. I guess I love all modes of travel!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG, seriously, your photos should be made into a coffee table book! They are lovely, the composition and everything is amazing!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2007 6:21:50 PM
The cathedral in Seville, Spain...

TG, I have that same picture of the archway in Sevilla, Spain!! Here''s mine:

Spain - 120.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you DF for the lovely compliment. But honestly, photography is not my forte! I just follow the "rule of thirds."
1.gif

Sunkist, how fun to see it from someone else''s perspective! On the day I was walking around, I was actually taken aback that for a minute, there was NO one in the frame of the shot. As people can see from your picture, there are usually lots of people who enjoy checking out one of Europe''s treasures!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 1:33:46 AM
I feel your pain. The first time I went to Oz, I went business class. I thought it was the easiest flight ever. I''ve flown coach since. Qantas makes it bearable, but NEVER will I fly a 767 to Oz on United. 14 hour flight and only one movie screen in the very front of the cabin. You can''t even see it.

Yes, I think I mentioned on another thread I went to Tetsuya...I''d love to go back because unfortunately I didn''t enjoy it as much as I could have...I had the flu and my taste buds were dead! But even with only half functioning tastebuds, I could tell it was magnificient. TGuy and our other friends were in absolute heaven.

Did you go more than once and enjoy it just as much?

ETA, I kind of have to laugh...one minute on this thread I''m talking about picnicking to save money, and the next we are talking about Tetsuya, which wasn''t exactly a bargain. I guess I love all modes of travel!
No, I''ve only been to Tetsuya once.
8.gif
We have plans to make Sydney a yearly thing, which means ....
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results