shape
carat
color
clarity

train Singapore to Bangkok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
anyone done this?
is it exhausting?
is it safe?

apparently it is 3 different train rides
daughter and boyfriend are considering it to get to Cambodia
I''m concerned.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
unfortunately, i have no idea but since you have no answers yet i will offer this suggestion. if no one here is from that area you may want to ask in the general discussion area of tpf. there are several posters who mention singapore frequently. good luck!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,

I have never taken the train from singapore to bangkok, but I''m just wondering if your daughter is planning to do it because they want to stop on the way in malaysia, or because of costs? There are quite a few budget airlines flying from singapore to bangkok now and the fares are so cheap, sometimes cheaper than train tickets!

The advantages of taking the train will be the ability to stop off at various places along the way and make a trip out of it, but if their ultimate destination is cambodia, it might just be faster and cheaper to fly direct to bangkok.

Hope that helps! I''m singaporean, and we''re heading back that way this coming week for chinese new year!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t gone from S''pore to Bangkok, but from Johor Bharu to Bangkok. It was over 20 years ago and I remember it being a very LONG trip. It was an overnight trip and we arrived by noon, and had a few short stopovers in between. It was fun when I was young but I would not do it again. I''m sure the fare is still cheap though. I''d rather spend a little more money and fly: it is quicker and the travelling conditions are MUCH better. Trains in South East Asia tend to be super crowded, noisy and overall, not as enjoyable.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Johor Bahru is right across from Singapore, so the journey would be roughly similar. Malaysia is very safe and quite modern compared to Thailand or Cambodia, so that leg of the journey isn''t much of a concern safety wise. BUT Why doesn''t your daughter just fly directly to Cambodia? The Malaysian trains are NOT comfortable and run extremely slowly. But once she gets to Bangkok, it becomes a total nightmare from there. The overland route from Bangkok to Siem Riep is a horror show. The road is terrible. It takes forever. And although it''s much safer than it used to be, there are still a lot of bandits around. I know almost NO ONE who says they would take this route if they had the choice to do it over.

If she''s meandering through Malaysia and Thailand on the way, then that''s one hting, but if she just wants to get to Cambodia, there are cheapish flights and it''s much, much safer, and MUCH more comfortable. Money VERY well spent.

By the way, flights from Johor Bahru will be cheaper than from Singapore itself. She just crosses the straight on a city bus into Malaysia, they run every 10 minutes or so. Costs $2 or so.

Cheap flights from JB! That''s the way to go.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Just to put things in perspective: from Singapore to Phnom Penh is more than 700 miles. On slow uncomfortable trains that stop for hours for no apparent reason. And over terrible roads with nothing resembling street lighting or ''facilities''. These are not ''highways''! You move at about a 1/4 the pace you would over here.

Sound like fun? No!

That said, while it may not be fun, I don''t think it''s particularly unsafe with the exception of the Bangkok - Siem Reap leg.

OK, now I miss traveling in Asia.. with all its inconveniences and pleasures...

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
thank you all for this information

her boyfriend is at the university in Singapore and they were going to use his break to go to
Cambodia to the Temple.

She is only going to be there Sat - Sat. (leaving Texas this Friday)
DH and I think a train journey from Singapore to Cambodia is nuts.
4 days of train travel, not to mention the 23 hr flight just to Singapore.
I am afraid she will be totally exhausted and not enjoy anything.

they are young and I guess think this is ok. We don''t, but how do
you convince 22yr. old''s this is shear craziness !!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ann, if she only has a wk to spend there, I would really try and convince her to fly from SG to cambodia. By the time she hops on a train and finally arrives in bangkok or cambodia, it will be time to go home.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
she is now saying they will either fly there and train back
or vice versa.

is that still awful ? (I think so)

is first class or first premium class on the trains a joke?
are the train posted schedules reliable?

sleeping berths private?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that is still awful. And at least on the daytime trains in Malaysia, there is no such thing as first class. And the night trains from what I've heard are... not places conducive for sleeping.

And again, that overland Siem Reap - Bangkok route is NOTORIOUS among travelers for being truly awful. Why do it if you can afford not to?

You might suggest to your daughter, if she insists on going this way, that once they get to Malaysia they take coaches (buses) instead of the train, since these tend to be very modern, much MUCH faster (though still way slower on the highways than over here), on time, air conditioned (unlike the trains... which use open windows for air because the electric fans only work occasionally... which means streaming black smoke in your face... delicious!), and with reclining seats. They're a titch mroe expensive, but we're talking a few dollars difference for a huge difference in comfort.

Frankly, if they aren't 'traveling' (i.e., stopping off teh whole way) the journey is just going to be a nightmare.

Better to spend longer in Siem Reap, where the Angkor temple complexes are, which take a week to see properly anyway.

BTW, I assume your daughter has got her immunizations against typhoid, hepatitis etc. and knows about how to keep from getting sick when eating in developing countries (peel it, cook it, boil it, or forget it)? Singapore is very hygenic, BUT Cambodia and Thailand are NOT.

VERY important is malaria pills. Malaria is the #1 cause of death in Cambodia, so this is no joke. I recommend Malarone which is expensive, but unlike the older malaria drug, doesn't make you halucinate (ah! so worth it). She should also bring bug repellant with 100% DEET to keep from being bitten by disease carrying mosquitos.

This is not to worry you! She'll be fine as long as she takes precautions. She should definitely visit a travel doctor before she goes.

And all that said, Angkor is the single most amazing place I have ever been in my life. She'll have an amazing time.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
IG,

Thank you for all this information. She has indeed been to a Dr. that specializes in foreign travel and is taking the proper
medical precautions.

They seem bent on doing do their way, so I wish them the best, but I think they are in for some BIG surprises!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
If they end up surprised, then you (or rather they!) will just have to look at it this way: when traveling, the worse things get, the more entertaining the story when you get home.

I''m sure they''ll have a BLAST! And what''s four days of discomfort when you really think about it? Especially when one is 22. It probably feels like a great adventure to them, and I guess that''s exactly what it is.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
yeah, they will have to learn!

Hopefully they will stay on the beaten tracks and think!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Thai and Cambodia for month ( since Nov~) and I've been traveling over there more than 20 times past
20years,
I have never taken the train from Singapore to Bangkok
from my experience I only took train from Bangkok to changmai.p]

BTW, I assume your daughter has got her immunizations against typhoid, hepatitis etc. and knows about how to keep from getting sick when eating in developing countries (peel it, cook it, boil it, or forget it)? Singapore is very hygienic, BUT Cambodia and Thailand are NOT.

I totally agree with Independent Gal .
your daughter has to really careful with food and water even nice restaurant

1.never drink which cold drink has Iced cube made from normal water
( had to make sure if the iced cube made from bottle water
but some people still says *YES it's made bottle of water* but sometimes NOT)

2. becaureful salad which the vegetable washed by normal water.

3.becareful seafood even it's cooked ( esp. shrimp which has not taken inside stuff )

I had to go see Dr 3 times in this trip because food.
I went to see Dr ( USA)to get medicine incase if I get sick over there.
however my Dr told me that there is many diffrent bacteria between USA and East Asia
so I got medicine when I was in Japan ( my Japanese Dr told me same thing US Dr )
but still the antibiotic didn't work then I had to see Dr in Bangkok.

what is good is Dr visit fee is very cheap without insurance.
( even university hospital )over there Dr decide how much it will be, so people need talk
about fee .

I hope your daugther has wonderful time over there!

this pic is street food shop in Bangkok.

T4.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
flower 12,

yes she has had all her shots took medication for Malaria and others and has talked with a US Dr. about the food.

she is packing medications for stomach problems if she encounters it.

I warned her to drink with only a straw, I read where drinking glasses were not always clean
Hopefully she knows about the ice. I''m sending her these posts, so hopefully she will take the advice.

she has hand sanitizer, lots of it !

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Ann.I forgot to write that why we have to really careful about water ( most western traveler being careful
about water,90% hotel has bottle water for bathroom but seems like not much careful about fresh vegetable like salad and fruits ,people only worry stomachache )we have to use bottle water for even wash the toothbrush.
I worry water or any food contain surface water because *Helicobacter pylori Bacteria*( it's very common in East Asia and many people has no sign of Symptom . I got it and had to strong antibiotic treatment for 2 week about years ago)
there is many Hepatitis type but most common hepatitis in Thai is B type.( it's need to be shot 3 times and take 6month to complete the 3 shot)
Thai culture and western culture is very different but it's very fun place to go !

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i want to say that i think it is great your daughter is an adventuress and is off to explore the world. i have friends who travel cambodia/vietnam/thailand and love it. none of them travel first class, many get off the beaten track, and all have survived to return time and again. i hope she has a great trip and that it is a positive one for her and her bf. personally, i''d be more worried if she was on a train coming from guatamala heading north through mexico.

movie zombie

ps and congratulations to you for raising such a daughter!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am worried sick.

My daughter and boyfriend took an overnight train from Singapore to Kuala Lampur, then flying to Bangkok tonight.
There have been numerous bombs going off in the Southern Provinces of Thailand. I am so concerned the violence will
move up to Bangkok during the celebrations.

Anyone here live in Bangkok?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ann,

I'm not in Bangkok but I had a look at some travel advisories from different governments for you. Some are advising against non-essential travel to Bangkok, but not all (and not the US State Dept), and none are advising those already in Bangkok to leave. That means the situation is not more dangerous than, say, traveling to London used to be.

The trouble in the south eastern part of the country is not likely to move to Bangkok. It's a pretty localized conflict. Even the bombs on New Year's Eve are, as I understand it, widely perceived to have been due to the separate political situation with the coup.

Even if something DID happen, Bangkok is huge and the chances of her being in the wrong place at the wrong time are minuscule. In other words, it might be a matter for mild concern, but not for being worried sick! Your daughter is probably far more likely to get into a car accident at home (heaven forbid that too, of course!) than to be the victim of terrorism while passing through Bangkok!

All will be well! All will be well!

ETA: just in case, perhaps she should register with the Embassy there? Probably unnecessary, though. I've never bothered, even when traveling in sketchy situations.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
IG,

Thanks.
I reads some more and it does seem to be away from Bangkok.
Both sets of parents are hoping they will check in with us soon.
This is their first big trip away from the US, so it''s a little frightening for the parents (us!)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Wow. That''s quite the adventure for first time travelers! They''ll love it, though. And they''ll be juust fine.

My first trip was a bit on the ''wild side'' too (the near east), and I went alone! I had absolutely NO idea what I was getting myself into and it was wonderful. I came home with a sense that if you dropped me anywhere in the world, I could manage just fine. That feeling of real freedom and competence gave me a lot of self-confidence and a peaceful sense of ''whatever it is, it will work out OK!'' which has served me well ever since.

Mind you, I didn''t tell my mom till I got back.
11.gif

Good for you for letting your daughter go exploring and adventuring. It''s the best thing for a young woman, if she has a taste for it.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just had an e-mail from her.

She left her wallet with cc''s in it in a taxi in Kaula Lampur !!

I cancelled 1 of them and she said she took care of the others. Hope so.
They are in Bangkok now. (Mom biting nails)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ooops! Oh no! I hope she had kept some money / cash card / passport separately or that she has a money belt.
23.gif

But you know, my experience in Malaysia was that people were incredibly honest. More likely to run down the street after you saying ''you left your wallet!'' than to take it. (Mind you, I haven''t spent much time in KL, and big cities are often different.) So, it would probably be worthwhile to see if the cabby turned it in, in which case perhaps he can drop it at your embassy to be mailed home. If it''s worth the trouble.

Given that it''s Malaysia''s 50th birthday and they''re trying hard to promote tourism for the occasion, you''d probably get a lot of help if you call the tourist board or something similar, which you could likely find on google. They''ll be wanting to project a good image.

Just a thought!

Keep us posted! Since I''m strapped to my desk for two more weeks, for the moment I''m living vicariously through your daughter!

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results