shape
carat
color
clarity

*toying* with the idea of selling- value of diamond?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone, I am considering selling my 2.04 carat MRB and replacing it with an OEC. I really prefer the older cuts. I was wondering IF I decide to sell my diamond, what I could expect for it and whether it would be better to sell to a vendor or private sale? Here is the GIA report. RAP on the diamond is $12,500, I believe. Thanks for any info you could give. I'm lost when it comes to selling a loose stone:(

img_11384.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider sending it to GOG to see if it is a recut candidate for an august vintage round?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that is the stone you have in the Emilya. Unless you plan to get an OEC the exact same size to put in that setting, I would not sell the current stone. Because you will take a big hit selling the K stone and the setting.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1460387730|4017919 said:
Would you consider sending it to GOG to see if it is a recut candidate for an august vintage round?

Wow. I never even thought of that! What a great idea!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1460388069|4017922 said:
I just realized that is the stone you have in the Emilya. Unless you plan to get an OEC the exact same size to put in that setting, I would not sell the current stone. Because you will take a big hit selling the K stone and the setting.

I was going to put one the same size in that setting. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that is a good idea to replace with a same size stone.

I will tell you that with that really low crown angle and large table, recutting into an AVR will make it result in a much smaller stone. It may or may not be able to be recut due to the inclusions. The stone would probably have to be removed from the setting and sent to Jon to evaluate. But then it definitely will not go in your setting.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1460389270|4017933 said:
Okay, that is a good idea to replace with a same size stone.

I will tell you that with that really low crown angle and large table, recutting into an AVR will make it result in a much smaller stone. It may or may not be able to be recut due to the inclusions. The stone would probably have to be removed from the setting and sent to Jon to evaluate. But then it definitely will not go in your setting.

Right, it would end up being much smaller....do you think it *could* stay a 1.5? Maybe I could sell the recut to Jon? And then look around for one that does fit....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I might have a plot, let me look.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
here it is....

40001_jennifer_lee__dragged_.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon wouldn't do it that way. If he bought your diamond, he would then decide how he could make the most profit for selling it. But he's not going to pay you anything near retail on a recut AVR. It would cost you maybe $1500 to do the recut and then the stone would end up a good bit smaller than 2 cts. So there is no way that is a good idea unless you just wanted an AVR. You need to sell the current diamond as is.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1460393146|4017964 said:
Jon wouldn't do it that way. If he bought your diamond, he would then decide how he could make the most profit for selling it. But he's not going to pay you anything near retail on a recut AVR. It would cost you maybe $1500 to do the recut and then the stone would end up a good bit smaller than 2 cts. So there is no way that is a good idea unless you just wanted an AVR. You need to sell the current diamond as is.

Ok, gotcha. I'm going to reach out to him on both possibilities. Buying it outright or just cutting into an AVR and someday finding a larger stone to fit my emilya.

My other option is to sell the whole emilya ring with the stone and all, as it is now. Then use that money towards an OEC and setting.....

My third option is to stop buying jewelry and be happy with what I have. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! The third option will be the most cost effective! I hate to see you sell the Emilya because it is common to lose at least half on settings and with halos, it may be hard to find a buyer.

I think with that feather, a recut may be a problem. But only Jon can tell you for sure.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting idea.
To GOG this would mean not just a recut but the creation of a diamond that is a branded AVR for which they were not paid their (justified) brand premium.

GOG is a business, not a charity, and intellectual property is worth something.
I doubt they'd do this and I wouldn't blame them.
Then again perhaps they'd tell you what that premium would be and you'd be happy to pay it to get that performance and that brand.

But it never hurts to ask.
Good luck.

Another idea is to ask Brian Gavin whether he would/could improve the cut and how much weight loss he estimates.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1460394715|4017977 said:

Another idea is to ask Brian Gavin whether he would/could improve the cut and how much weight loss he estimates.

Also a great idea!

susief

Shiny_Rock
I think consigning it through a reputable vendor will be the way to get best value. I read here that Jewels by Grace take a relatively small commission, not sure if that's still the case. Or seeing if you can trade it in towards an OEC/AVR.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1460399608|4017993 said:
I think consigning it through a reputable vendor will be the way to get best value. I read here that Jewels by Grace take a relatively small commission, not sure if that's still the case. Or seeing if you can trade it in towards an OEC/AVR.

Yes, probably selling the whole ring would be the easiest....

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I also agree that consignment is the way to go. I tried the "sell my diamond" link for one of my diamonds when I was considering upgrading and the offers I got were not very good - the highest I got was 30-40% of what I paid :nono: Better than what I could be offered at a pawn shop if I was desperate, but still :wall:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hoover|1460402699|4018009 said:
I also agree that consignment is the way to go. I tried the "sell my diamond" link for one of my diamonds when I was considering upgrading and the offers I got were not very good - the highest I got was 30-40% of what I paid :nono: Better than what I could be offered at a pawn shop if I was desperate, but still :wall:

Ugh! That stinks. What did you end up doing?

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Soxfan,

I kept the diamonds - one was reset into a pendant and another into a ring... The cheap side of me finds it hard to stomach losing around 25% or more, and I really feel bad about not wearing them (and it's gut wrenching to think about the money I have sunk into what's not being worn and the various resets).

If you choose to go the consignment route, GOG and JbG have really good rates

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consignment works well when the stone is GIA XXX or AGS Ideal cut or a well cut OEC, etc. with the PS crowd. Keep in mind that you'll sell below retail when selling second hand plus the jeweler will likely take about 15% off of that for the consignment fee. So you very easily may get 30-35% less than the retail stone prices I posted above. This is why I recommend contacting Adam of OWD because a branch of that business does buy diamonds, so see if his offer approaches the $6500-7000 you might get if you sell on consignment. It will be a lot faster, and he has access to a large number of OECs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results