shape
carat
color
clarity

Totally baffled on what to put on Registry, Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well, it''s two weeks to W-Day *EEK*, and we''re starting to be bugged about our gift registry. Um, what gift registry? We''re having a DW with only family so we never even considered the possibility! Neither of us has the slightest idea of what to register for!
To make matters more difficult it seems like alot of the stuff we''d ask for is a bit dependant on where we''ll live, like sheets and towels. We''re moving to an unknown location sometime in the next six months. Current location contenders are the Bay area, Eugene, Portland, Seattle, and Austin.
For instance, we desperately need a new, larger bed but the size will probably be impacted by where we live and what size house we can afford!
Heck, Even registering at REI is dependant on where we''ll live!

We''ve combined two full households so we have too much stuff, most of it we''re looking forward to shedding on our way to our new home. We have plenty of pots and things. We''re covered for good china, glassware, and silverware. Other than a large, quality frying pan, I''m stumped!

I suppose it''s a good thing to be stumped about!
5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
can you upgrade what you do have? we already had pots, but upgraded to a couple of le creusets. same with sheets. and knives. are yall going on a honeymoon? yall could register for that, too.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
also, i''m not sure of your living arrangements now versus where you will be, but, we have a full size bed, but when we move we''ll move that bed to the guest room and have a queen size in the master bedroom. so, we got new sheets for both beds.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
This would be tacky with a capital T in some circles, but you guys seem fairly non-traditional... Could you register for an investment account? My mom said something about couples in her area opening "bridal accounts" at a credit union that people could contribute to to help with that new house wherever it may be. If they can do it in Texas and get away with it, maybe you can too.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
great question, as we''re in the same situation.

as a prior poster suggested, upgrade some of your things- we plan on registering for some nice sheets, towels, pans etc. with the intention of "retiring" some of ours

also, what about nice small appliances- a nice coffee maker, toaster/convection oven,etc.

does your photographer have gift certificates? you could always ask for contributions toward an album, or wedding prints

it''s so hard.....

i love the honeymoon idea registry, or just plain ol'' cash, but some folks really want to give a tangible gift and if you don''t register, you''ll end up with god knows what.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Register for things at BBB... towels, bathroom rugs, that frying pan... and a couple of things you can just return for cash... save and then buy new furniture with if you move.

A nice knife set... open stock Shun classic or David Onion (
30.gif
) from BBB is always nice too, if don't have super high quality knives.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about things you'd think twice about spending the $$ on for yourselves?

Kitchenaid mixer
Cuisinart food processor
Le Creuset pots
Pro quality blender (gotta crush the ice for those drinks! LOL!)
oh yeah...definitely great knives...

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Great knives, huh? That''s actually a great idea. Fi was just complaining about our knives the other day. Upgrading our pots are a good idea as well. We certainly need a big unwarped frying pan. Come to think of it we could really use serving utensils in our silverware pattern.

I splurged on good silverware and china when I bought my first house, and he splurged on good glassware when he bought his house! Guess neither of us ever thought we''d marry anyone!

I wish I could register for sheets. I suppose since we''ll be keeping at least one of the full beds for a guest bed no matter where we go, we could register for new sheets for that size. That way we could use them now, and then for the guest bed no matter if we end up with a king or a queen for us.
I really really wish we could register for bedding. Good comforters for a king are pricey!! sigh.

Hmm, once you start thinking about upgrading and filling in the holes, the list starts to really grow!

Thanks guys!

Anymore ideas?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a king size down comforter? Even if you have a queen bed, it still fits. I''ve been thinking about doing that, cuz the queen size down comforter isn''t long enough to cover up the fact we don''t have a bedskirt!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
knives. we have used the gift of knives everyday since our wedding in 1995. edited to add: wusthoff is balanced and feels good in the hand. very dexterous.

good frying pan.

register or you will get 42 picture frames.
11.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 5:52:46 PM
Author: ladykemma
register or you will get 42 picture frames.
11.gif
And you might get 42 anyway! We did.
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RE: Knives... WILLIAMS SONOMA is the bomb! Even if you don''t register there... GO to look at knives there. They have the most WONDERFUL sales people, so knowledgeable and patient. Will let you try ALL the different knives, tell you pros and cons of each and really help you find the right knife for you. And go together. I went the first time and fell in love with the shun classic, but when FI and I went together they didn''t fit his hand. We both loved Wusthof classic and David Onion. David Onion is about 200-300 PER KNIFE. So we discussed it with the girl (no price gain for her... 6 piece wustoff was same price as the ONE David Onion were were considering) wieghed the pros and cons... and decided to go with the David Onion for us.

Upgrading pots and pans is a great idea. Personally, I would register for at least three pieces of All Clad.

Fill in the gaps and have FUN with it.

I have a ton of kitchen wares. Registering is going to be a problem for me... although as we bought of spiffy Sterns and Foster King last year I can register for the sheets I''ve been ogling.

King comforter is a great idea... does fit Queen and King beds.

I personally am a fan of vases. I LOVE unique vases. There is a Hoya vase that I am SERIOUSLY in love with. I believe every one should have at least one BEAUTIFUL vase for cut flowers.

Tanle linens. Formal linens. Table cloths, napkins. Always nice, and not something you readily buy yourself. Wonderful napkin rings are like jewelry for the table.

Unique serving pieces. I love white ware... so Crate and Barrel, Wedgewood, and oddly enough, Taget are where I find the coolest pieces.

Crystal candy jars. Rosenthal has a very funky modern ones-- I have one of them that I just love.

Candle sticks. Nambe. Christofle. Mmm...

Lamps! I love funky unique lamps. Great way to spiff up your lving spaces... new lighting.

I love matching classic peices with funky sleek modern ones. What''s your entertaining style? Your registry is the perfect place to fuel it.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
You''ve gotten some great advice here. Just wanted to second the idea of upgrading what you have (KNIVES!), and add that you should check that little box on your registry that says "We welcome gift cards!"

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Home Depot type store Gift Cards??!!

My Best Friend's daughter got married last summer. She and her now Hubby had bought a house that was structurally sound but needed some "refurbish" fix up. Paint, paper, new carpet, etc.

In addition to various stores they had Registries at for more traditional wedding gifts, they also suggested Home Depot gift cards to fix up their new house.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I would just browse around a store you like, you''ll see things you could use, just register for a few things so the people who really want to get you a gift can and when they are gone hopefully everyone else will just give money!

FI and I don''t need much either so that''s our plan, we registered at C&B and got a bunch of stuff for our engagement parties and some xmas gifts, but we move every few months so it is a major PITA to move all this stuff! Also, at C&B you can say ok to gift cards on your registry so if you aren''t sure of what you want, have the word spread that gift cards to wherever would be preferred. And C&B and BBBY will give you cash back for registry stuff, something to consider if you decide you really dont need or want the stuff. C&B now jerked us around though and said you can only get up $50 cash back at a time, I need to look into this because that is not how it was explained to us when we registered and I asked specifically.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
btw, definitely do the knives, that''s the only really practical thing I am glad we registered for

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
We, too, had most the stuff you need to survive, since we''d been on our own for a number of years. However, we just registered for things we''d LIKE to have, the better kind than we had back when we bought things we had to have after college. So, we ended up really really nice knives, better flatware, place settings that actually match now, and some NICE sheets. Makes me wonder how I slept on the ones I had before!

Most people knew it was going to be a lot for me to move all the stuff I already had from NC to GA, so we got a lot of gift cards, too. I didn''t specifically write down that I wanted gift cards, but most people knew our situation and took it into consideration. Maybe that''s something you can suggest to people who are waiting for your registry! Tell them your favorite store, and maybe they can do it that way.

Good grief, it''s getting close to the *time* for you and your boy! Yay! Are you hyper excited, freaking out? A little of both? It''s a great time! Have fun and enjoy the last few days of being able to say, "my fiance and I...." I miss that! But, "my husband and I...." isn''t half bad, either!
9.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
We are in the same position as you are...we pretty much have just about everything we need. I''m 32 and FI is 36. We bought a house almost three years ago. And although we might be able to upgrade some stuff...we almost might ask for donations to a charity we like...maybe? don''t know.

Really, we wouldn''t mind getting cash, but I think that might be a bit tacky...so I donations it is.

Just a thought.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
at 32 and 37 we had almost everything we needed. we bought a house ~6 months before the wedding and didn''t want to wait for upgrades/furnishings etc., so we just bought that stuff ourselves. these things, along with the fact that most of our guests had to travel to come to our wedding, led us to ask for donations to our favorite charities rather than having a traditional guest registry. many of our guests did end up contributing to the charities and thought it was a great idea. others just gave us money. we only got a few random gifts (picture frame, mugs, etc.), but they were from people who knew us well so they knew our tastes. the charity registry ended up working out well for us.

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
I went shopping today to get an idea of different things I may want to put on my registry and I picked up a book at Crate and Barrel. It''s called 50 Things You Wish Someone Had Told You Before You Registered. It may be helpful.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Indie, we already have 2 complete households so don''t have a need for much stuff. We are definitely registering for the honeymoon. I just LOVE that idea! Also, I think the idea of updating items is great.
Some things I''m thinking of registering for:
Sheets, maybe pillows, mattress cover, bed skirt, pillowcases, shams, light comforter, heavy comf., comf. cover
Bath and hand towels, washclothes, bathrobes
Mixing bowls, cookie cutters, knives, pots/wok, roaster, griddle, measuring cups/spoons, ice cream scoop, garlic press, juicer, food processor, crock pot
Handheld vacuum
Entertainment center, luggage, nightstands

We have most of this stuff already but I love the idea of getting good quality stuff and giving away what we have. Also, I want to include some little stuff (also little stuff in the honeymoon registry) so that there is something in everyone''s financial category.

Have you already registered somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results