shape
carat
color
clarity

top jewelry brands and GIA VG?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Several posters have come here posting about diamonds at very expensive high end jewelers (Cartier, Tiffany, Bvlgari, etc) that are not GIA Ex/Ex/Ex. Why is this? I would expect that they would be all GIA Ex? They can certainly choose whatever diamonds they want (I assume), so why pick GIA VG instead of GIA Ex?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I think it's because the assumption is that if you go with an expensive and well-known jeweler, that that jeweler will sell only "the best." These days many of the top-tier brands are nothing more than mass merchants, not much different from Target and Costco and Zales, but people don't think of them that way. People also assume that the merchandise on the sales floor is equivalent to the merchandise these companies source for private clients. It's not.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
slg47|1317586150|3031387 said:
Several posters have come here posting about diamonds at very expensive high end jewelers (Cartier, Tiffany, Bvlgari, etc) that are not GIA Ex/Ex/Ex. Why is this? I would expect that they would be all GIA Ex? They can certainly choose whatever diamonds they want (I assume), so why pick GIA VG instead of GIA Ex?

Money. It costs more to use the top of the top cutting and since they are already perceived to be at the top of the world by virtue of their good names, they can make more money as a percentage return on investment by using slightly lower quality cuts than if they used the truly top quality cuts.

Big business today is all about the money. If you want the best values for your money, big business is rarely the place to get it.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results