shape
carat
color
clarity

Top-end things you’ve tried - were they worth it?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
example:

For me, fancy hotels aren’t always worth it. $600 a night was the fanciest I’ve been to and it was incredible, but the $300 a night hotel didn’t seem so much more special than the $200.

Fancy meals- very hit or miss for me. Sometimes a fine meal is exquisite and worth it, other times I’m wishing I went to a fave Korean bbq place and paid $75 for a feast that tastes amazing.

I have yet to try a wine that was pricey and “worth it” to me- but maybe $125 is not enough to spend? The $20 seems just as good to my unrefined palate!

$$$$ expensive makeup- I like fancy lipstick but mascara and foundation I tried the ultra expensive stuff and it didn’t seem majorly different to me.

Jewelry… the better stuff is better, full stop, and that’s why I love PS because you all get it.

Fancy chocolates- heck yes I enjoy paying for the good stuff and I really notice the difference! Wish I could say the same for fancy tea… the expensive stuff seems no better to me.

Ok share yours!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
flying first class domestically and business class with flat lie seats internationally. I haven't flown first class internationally because a lot of our airlines don't have first class cabins to the places I go. Definitely worth the upgrade to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flew business class once, the big long seat was completely wasted on me as I am only 5'2"/157cm!

I used to love fine chocolates, then got bored with them when my ex-hubby bought back a box every weekend for nearly a year when he travelled to Belgium and France for business.

I stayed in expensive hotels while on business, and would not pay for unnecessary luxuries when I only want a clean room with en-suite facilities in a good location.

Don't follow fashion trends, not into designer anything, and I would rather spend the money on a mid-range handbag or a pair of shoes on a meal.

Hardly wear any make-up.

I have been wearing the same scent for the past 25+ years, so no scent wardrobe to speak of.

I love fine dining as it is an art form that I can appreciate.

Been in high end luxury cars and I can get used to them.

As for jewellery, if I win the lottery, yes, I would get some high end pieces, like a diamond encrusted snake watch for example. However, where would I find the occasions to wear them?!

DK :))

Edited to add I have formal clothes made to measure and they are worth every penny when everything fits - it is a real morale booster when I wear them.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely yes to flying First, worth every penny to me. I like relaxing in the lounge pre flight, no pushing and shoving to get on the plane, and the quiet of there only being a few seats in the cabin.

High end brand jewelry and watches, my Citizen tells the same time as an expensive watch :mrgreen: and whilst I can admire 'name' jewellery, I wouldn't pay for it.

Expensive wine, I don't drink, so total waste on me, and I eat what I like, and aren't bothered about eating at 'in' places.

I don't have anywhere to go to wear designer clothes, so wasted on me.

I have a nice car and it gets me to the same places as a supercar, only slower, safety is more important to me than flash.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I lead a very simple life! Expensive hotels and restaurants make me uncomfortable in some way and never seem worth the money. I drive a Honda and wear high street brand clothes and shoes.

I appreciate small luxuries, my Cartier watch, an Hermes scarf, my Hanadama pearls. Things that other people might not notice but make me feel special, almost in secret!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am not into cosmetics, wine, handbags, or cars, but my family lives overseas and I have a kid going to school an ocean away. I never regret paying for business class on our 20hr+ flights. They usually take-off around midnight, too.

I also love my Dyson vacuum stick vacuum.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I absolutely loved going to top notch restaurants when we ate out.
Le Bernardin, Per Se, Bouley, Daniel, etc. It is amazing and there's nothing like it.

We have stayed at some fancy hotels and a super luxurious resort and it was very nice.
I don't miss these things but it was amazing.

I am not a wine drinker nor a drinker of alcoholic beverages in general. I always said to my DH when we were dating I am a cheap date haha. When my DH enjoys a cocktail (much more rarely now as he doesn't drink much anymore) he likes top shelf liquor and for him it makes a difference. He is a scotch and bourbon drinker and he likes the finest stuff.

When we used to fly yes, first class was a luxury and vastly different than coach. To me it was worth it just because I loathe flying in general. It made it way more pleasant for me. But we haven't flown for over 15 years and I do not miss it.

I spend no money on makeup, hair, nails etc. I am very low maintenance. I may get my hair cut once every 18 months. LOL. I am not into name brand anything and so save a lot of money there.

I love clothes and boots but again not into designer stuff and I do not spend a lot on either.

I love jewelry (obviously) but no name brands so that helps cost wise. I do have several pricey pieces.

We spend a lot on our cycling hobby but it is worth it.

At this stage in our life we are fortunate we want for nothing and we are very happy and grateful for all we have. I appreciate and am very thankful for it all.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For the most part, I feel like every dollar added to what's required to fulfill the basic requirement (for ex. food or transportation) is a dollar you get progressively less return on.

So by the time you get to top tier, the cost is most often way over whatever benefit I feel like I'm getting back.

If I was filthy rich, I'd probably feel differently but there's also an opportunity cost, since each dollar spent on one thing is not available to spend on another thing.

Once it gets beyond mid-range, whatever it is, I usually just start getting annoyed.

Last edited:
Expensive hotels can absolutely be worth every penny, if you are going to a “resort”/all-inclusive type of place. I find them less worth it when you’re in a city.

Flying business class is completely worth it IMO, though I don’t see the point of going to first.

Watches imo hold value better than jewelry, so while I’ll buy both, with jewelry I’m happy to go with unbranded as long as they are certified stones. I would not buy a non-luxury brand watch. My mom recently sold a watch that she had purchased with much scrimping and saving back in the 80s - for several thousand dollars more than she paid, accounting for inflation.

Personally, luxury bags are absolutely worth it to me.

I find expensive whiskies are far better than the cheaper ones. Totally worth the splurge IMO. Don’t feel that way about other alcohols, perhaps because my palette is not developed enough.

Fancy meals can be worth it sometimes and not worth it other times. I have never regretted paying for quality meat, however. It always tastes better.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my old cars was a Toyota Avalon, and I remember thinking it was every bit as nice as a Lexus without the price tag.

I can find a great duplicate for almost any high ticket item, except (unfortunately) jewelry. It just has a completely different look and feel to it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for fine dining, I draw the line of paying 600+ USD for a steak, just to watch some celebrity chef cooks it, and sprinkle some real gold dust on it before serving.

A celebrity chef in UK charged 87 GBP for a piece of sirloin steak with 3 onion ring and a little jug of jus on the side.

I can get the best rib-eye steak for a lot less and cook it at home, not difficult.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can admit I have not really indulged much in life at this point. The one thing I've splurged on and enjoyed a few times are occasional facials at high end spas. Rescue Spa in NYC is a delight and ABC Cocina across the street makes it even better.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I do a lot of international flying or used to before Covid and will resume this summer as long as everything works out. I am jealous of you first class flyers - for me I cannot stomach it when it’s quadruple the price and sometimes more than that! So haven’t done that. Besides jewelry food is something I will spend on as I love trying different restaurants.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have only flown internationally first class 1x in my life (when I was 15), so could not partake of the unlimited alcoholic beverages. I did appreciate the food and beverages being served on full size and real flatware and silverware. I don't know if they even do that anymore.

As for fine dining, my husband and I splurged on Le Jule Verne (on the Eiffel tower) for our 10 year anniversary (12 years ago), it was about $250US for a set tasting menu and I thought it was just so-so. I'm a foodie, and can appreciate good food, it doesn't have to expensive of Michelin star rated. Usually the hole in the wall places have the best food.

As for 5-star hotels (even 6 star in some countries), they are definitely worth it. I definitely appreciate those when I travel for business, I usually don't have to bring a single toiletry item, no need to pack slippers or robe etc. Very luxurious and comfortable as far as the comforters, linens and towels. Now that I have been spoiled by staying at really nice hotels while traveling, I do find myself booking far nicer hotels for personal travel!

As for high end cars, I'm all for it. If you live in California, you spend a lot of time in your car. When I drive, it is not about speed, so fast racecars are not how I define a high end car, I like a car with a quiet engine, smooth ride, beautiful leather and wood panels and comfortable seats with all the amenities like perforated seats for AC or heat.

In terms of jewelry, handbags and clothes, I don't necessarily buy luxury high end branded items, but I do like buy well made, quality pieces that last forever, some of my clothes/bags etc are over 20 years old, and still look great due to the quality material and workmanship!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as I have aged I have learned to like higher end purses (nothing higher than coach and michael kors) and nice hotels and nice cars..currently own a Lexus, clothes eh who cares if I roll in Walmart sweat pants in my Lexus and Michael Kors purse lol...its all good

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Flew business class once, the big long seat was completely wasted on me as I am only 5'2"/157cm!

I used to love fine chocolates, then got bored with them when my ex-hubby bought back a box every weekend for nearly a year when he travelled to Belgium and France for business.

I stayed in expensive hotels while on business, and would not pay for unnecessary luxuries when I only want a clean room with en-suite facilities in a good location.

Don't follow fashion trends, not into designer anything, and I would rather spend the money on a mid-range handbag or a pair of shoes on a meal.

Hardly wear any make-up.

I have been wearing the same scent for the past 25+ years, so no scent wardrobe to speak of.

I love fine dining as it is an art form that I can appreciate.

Been in high end luxury cars and I can get used to them.

As for jewellery, if I win the lottery, yes, I would get some high end pieces, like a diamond encrusted snake watch for example. However, where would I find the occasions to wear them?!

Edited to add I have formal clothes made to measure and they are worth every penny when everything fits - it is a real morale booster when I wear them.

How does one even begin to know where to find made to measure formal clothes? This sounds very exciting to me.

Also I’m curious which scent you wear!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think I lead a very simple life! Expensive hotels and restaurants make me uncomfortable in some way and never seem worth the money. I drive a Honda and wear high street brand clothes and shoes.

I appreciate small luxuries, my Cartier watch, an Hermes scarf, my Hanadama pearls. Things that other people might not notice but make me feel special, almost in secret!

Classy selections! Which watch do you have?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
For the most part, I feel like every dollar added to what's required to fulfill the basic requirement (for ex. food or transportation) is a dollar you get progressively less return on.

So by the time you get to top tier, the cost is most often way over whatever benefit I feel like I'm getting back.

If I was filthy rich, I'd probably feel differently but there's also an opportunity cost, since each dollar spent on one thing is not available to spend on another thing.

Once it gets beyond mid-range, whatever it is, I usually just start getting annoyed.

Diminishing returns! Well said and I can relate to this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an important distinction.
Whether the thing itself is "worth it".
If so, then it follows that holds the same worth to everyone.
Next there is whether the thing is "worth it" to a particular individual.

Example:
Most everyone rich or poor would not spend $3,000 on binoculars.
Nine years ago I did.
Check out DF's post #10 of my binocular review thread. :lol-2:

To 99.9999% of people (regardless of income) it is not possible for binos to be worth that much.
But it was to me, and to Matata and her hubby.

So $3K binos are worth it to me, yet I refuse to pay for any smartphone, even though they are worth the cost to the vast majority, I think even the poorest Americans can get one for free, like food stamps.
It's widely viewed as a necessity these days, not to me.

Another good example of the is-it-worth-it-controversy is apple's most expensive iPhones.

Last edited:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just purchased a Cloud sofa pit group from Restoration Hardware. Love IT! we agonized over it and finally hit the bullet. So glad we did.

@missy we went to La Bernardin on your recommendatio…. So Good!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Generally better medical care has been worth it for us. When we're exhausted and some one is sick, knowing we'll be going to an expensive private hospital and just letting them handle it has been really worth while. This was not true before children but after children we were sick and overwhelmed in a way that actually often needed the extra care (and an ER wait that didn't last 2-4 hours).

Better hotels have been worthwhile, we get nicer ones for work trips and then somehow we could really tell the difference. So now we just stay in expensive ones. Apartments went the same way.

With the pandemic we take taxis everywhere. This has generally been worthwhile (I'm a lot less late
and we dont get sick as much as we would have otherwise ).

I like quality in cosmetics and clothes, but I don't find that correlate with luxury branding/price tags (beyond midlevel brands).

Foodwise I feel like I have tried everything and appart from expensive chocolate and tea (and some high end meals in Japan) its all the same to me. I actually can't tell the difference. We also don't like overly expensive resteraunts as our daughter doesn't stay seated. So that might be a factor . My daughter likes to make friends with the waiters (we dine out a few times a week just to try to deal with the fallout of 2 young kids and busy jobs) so we actually prefer the inexpensive ones where the waiters are happy to dance with her.

Oh and I hate to admit it but expensive computers. I was in denial and then my husband bought some relatively expensive ones (like 7k-30k range) and the difference is hard to argue with. So much faster and better for work. I'm about to totally upgrade all our work furniture too for the same reason.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know if it counts as high end haha but for food I like going to the higher end = more expensive local markets to get fresh vegetables and fruit, meat, cheese,… It doesn’t come out a huge amount more expensive because I don’t get any ready made food, I try to cook from scratch because I enjoy it :) (and it balances out the expenses of the more expensive ingredients).
So, I don’t know much about high end restaurants but for everyday food I definitely enjoy a difference :)

I drink alcohol but in smaller quantities (I’ll have a glass of wine with dinner on weekends, max 2) and I think middle end makes a bit of a difference, but higher end you would really have to be someone who is actually knowledgeable and appreciative of the different tastes to really appreciate the difference ! At least I couldn’t tell a difference sometimes :). Really good with cheese on the other hand :)

I like high end makeup but then again I’m part French haha

Also, technology, I’ll get a higher end model but that came out a couple of years ago to balance out the price a bit !

Clothes I go for middle end, the only things I spend a bit more on are stuff you wear a lot like a scarf or a pair of shoes, but I don’t go to the brands, just a bit more expensive stuff :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy meals- very hit or miss for me. Sometimes a fine meal is exquisite and worth it, other times I’m wishing I went to a fave Korean bbq place and paid $75 for a feast that tastes amazing.

You're right -- expensive does not automatically = good. But an independently-vetted restaurant (like Michelin) can be insanely good. I think everyone who can (much of this audience) should try a Michelin two-star or better with pairings. It is an amazing experience. Even our kids are blown away. You do not need to be a connoisseur to appreciate sensational pairings; they really know what they are doing. You may not even recognize why it is so good but it is unmistakably good. These meals, while expensive and while I am pretty frugal, have been some of the best money we have spent traveling and some of our most enduring family memories.

Before I knew better, our biggest dining mistakes were not pre-planning and just going to some of the nearly-as-expensive and utterly forgettable restaurants in major cities in the US and Western Europe.

One of my kids does a lot of the legwork -- a real foodie. It can be a chore to secure a reservation at a top place but he will call within seconds of the six-month (or whatever) window opening. Last week, our group was half (!) of the sensational 12-seat restaurant, minibar. I was even mistaken for a (somewhat unattractive) celebrity! We were clearly having more fun than most. Sharing a meal with someone who really appreciates great food is such a joy -- all those "this is so amazing!" moments. At each one, we eat something that makes us say, "I think this is the best thing I have ever eaten!"

Hotels, on the other hand... I really don't get fancy hotels. No matter how much you spend, you still just get a room and halfway-decent bed and a TV remote of questionable cleanliness. Maybe there is a health club and that's nice for a workout if I am alone. But no kitchen, no sofa, no hang-out area to unwind and debrief after the day and share a bottle of wine. For the past decade-plus, all of our family vacations have been VRBO, HomeAway, AirBnB, etc. For less than the cost of two hotel rooms (in a spendy locale, and we would need 2 - 3 anyway), we literally get a whole house/flat. Then you can really shop local -- bread, wine, cheese, pastries, fresh fruit and vegetables, fish. First day in a new European city, spouse immediately walks the nearby blocks and finds the most promising shops and stalls for everything. Right before COVID (remember that?), we rented an ultramodern, multilevel "house" invisibly nestled in a red mud shell in the old city in Marrakech. Our rooftop hot tub (just for us) overlooked the centuries-old manicured gardens surrounding one of the finest hotels in Africa (well, top handful for sure) where rooms started at $1,000 a night. Our entire house -- and we shared an exterior wall with this hotel property -- was maybe $100/night. With the money we save on lodging, we can go to town on the food...

Clothing -- I think I am mostly Uniqlo at this point

Dandelion and Recchiuti chocolate. (But we will happily settle for Lindt 70% with sea salt -- always on sale at Winco.)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does one even begin to know where to find made to measure formal clothes? This sounds very exciting to me.

Also I’m curious which scent you wear!

There are many online vendors for made to measure shirts, however, one would need to have his/her body measurements to hand. Vendors usually have a guide on how to take body measurements.

Mine were taken by my dressmakers and have kept a record of them.

As for jackets and suits, again, via Google for UK based ones, and also Googled for travelling tailor from Hong Kong.

The tailor just across the boarder from Hong Kong in China is via my mum. However, I am unlikely to use him again as I am unlikely to return to Hong Kong.

The scent I have been wearing for the past 20+ years is Chanel No. 19.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just purchased a Cloud sofa pit group from Restoration Hardware. Love IT! we agonized over it and finally hit the bullet. So glad we did.

@missy we went to La Bernardin on your recommendatio…. So Good!

I remember, for your anniversary and am so glad you enjoyed it.

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
Before I retired I would pay for high end shoes and clothes. Now that I’m retired I wear mostly causal and shop Just My Size, Walmart and sales at Talbots.

But I still have my purse addiction so I buy a Brahmin purse once a year.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of all over the place on hotels. Pre-Covid I travelled to Europe several times a year. Sometimes we'd pick a mid-range hotel and sometimes hotels in the top ranges. Sometimes I would use points and sometimes I'd be upgraded. At the Imperial in Vienna they upgraded me and my room was huge, with a large sofa and seating area. A butler came to the room each evening with a drink cart to offer me a drink. It was nice, but I don't think I would have paid for it because when I travel, I'm not in my room much. I like historic hotels, so I pick those based on location mainly. But I do think that some of the amenities at the higher level hotels can be nice once in a while.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Food and clothes are not important to me, cars either. My son bought me a LV purse for Christmas and now I’m spoiled but personally I wouldn't spend the money for it. High quality diamonds, yes. Gold vs plated or costume jewelry, yes. High class hotel, no. Flying first class to Portland on Alaska air, absolutely! Their difference to fly first is not bad. Also we always get a veranda when we cruise.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am an unrepentant label hound for everything. I like what I buy!!!

In short, spending money on costly bed linens is absolutely worth it for me; I've had Frette, Yves Delorme and Pratesi items for years and they remain in fabulous shape. Worth every penny.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results