shape
carat
color
clarity

Togal''s trip to NYC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
here''s your thread...no more ill will in that thread of any kind!

First, I walk around with jewlery, but it depends where you go...

Times Square to me is insane, I am raerly ever there (if I can avoid it!) Midtown is safe to me, as is parts of downtown. I have to say crime in NY is not much I have heard too much lately or experienced. But that said, I know tourists get mugged every so often just for being walking targets. I think most of it is from pick pockets...

As for shopping in the diamond district...ehhh...I hate sending in a tourist there. I do, because many of them sell junk and hike the price up. BUT, if you want to buy, I suggest a larger store (no closet shop in a dark corner) that has a return policy. If you want to buy trinket jewelry in the main arcade there is a few places you can get cheap things (under $500) and not really sweat it. But for big stuff, I wouldn''t even consider it without someone trained or an inside person...

Sounds like you are going to have a GREAT vacation! I don''t often travel with my good stuff. Even when I travel to Europe really, unless there is a special event. On a cruise, personally, I would get costume and just rock it for the fashion. Diamonds to me are more formal? I personally like chunky beads or a fun cocktail ring or two, classic earrings and such, but more than that, not needed...better safe than sorry, especially if they are irreplaceable. That''s how I lost my diamond studs, on a trip and I still regret it!
39.gif

Have a great time!!! Any other questions?

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 4:23:14 PM
Author:Nicrez
here's your thread...no more ill will in that thread of any kind!

First, I walk around with jewlery, but it depends where you go...

Times Square to me is insane, I am raerly ever there (if I can avoid it!) Midtown is safe to me, as is parts of downtown. I have to say crime in NY is not much I have heard too much lately or experienced. But that said, I know tourists get mugged every so often just for being walking targets. I think most of it is from pick pockets...

As for shopping in the diamond district...ehhh...I hate sending in a tourist there. I do, because many of them sell junk and hike the price up. BUT, if you want to buy, I suggest a larger store (no closet shop in a dark corner) that has a return policy. If you want to buy trinket jewelry in the main arcade there is a few places you can get cheap things (under $500) and not really sweat it. But for big stuff, I wouldn't even consider it without someone trained or an inside person...

Sounds like you are going to have a GREAT vacation! I don't often travel with my good stuff. Even when I travel to Europe really, unless there is a special event. On a cruise, personally, I would get costume and just rock it for the fashion. Diamonds to me are more formal? I personally like chunky beads or a fun cocktail ring or two, classic earrings and such, but more than that, not needed...better safe than sorry, especially if they are irreplaceable. That's how I lost my diamond studs, on a trip and I still regret it!
39.gif

Have a great time!!! Any other questions?
Wow...thanks for the speedy response!

I'm afraid you're right -- while I really hate parting with my wedding ring, even for a few weeks, it is irreplaceable to me and I would just hate to have anything go wrong.

As for the jewellery exchange, I think I'll take a pass. I wanted to buy a good piece (a right hand diamond ring), but if anything should go wrong, trying to return it could prove a hassle. I also read on a few internet sites, that it's not exactly the most pleasant shopping experience (I think the analogy they used had something to do with feeding hungry crocidiles
6.gif
)

Yes, I am VERY excited about this trip. I was in New York 17 years ago and barely remember it. We are planning to pack as much in as possible. I might hit you up with a few more questions before I go....so stay tuned to this thread!

Thanks for the info!
emrose.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went for the first time last year to NY City for the day because I had a client in CT. NYC is soooooo big; I only had 5 hours to visit. I went and bought some quartz beads; I still need to make them into a necklace. I also walked down the diamond district and times Square. I rode up the Empire State Building (very cool). I am excited for you Togal!

togal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Skippygirl.

Sounds like you really packed alot into the five hours! The first time I went, I stayed with friends in Brooklyn Heights, and only got to explore the mid-town/5th avenue area for one afternoon, and we did many of the same things (empire state building, etc), but it all seems like a blur to me now. That city is SO big, it''s really quite overwhelming at first. I think it takes at least a few days just to catch your bearings. We''re staying for a full week, so I hope by the end of this trip, I should feel like I''ve really ''done'' NY -- although, I''m sure it could take a lifetime to really know that city.

I''ve been boning up on my Woody Allen movies lately -- he has some great New York footage in many of his films (Manhattan, Hanna and her Sisters, Annie Hall, to name a few, all of which I have on DVD). We have tickets to see Woody Allen perform at the Carlyle with his jazz band. I''m really excited about that! We also got front row balcony seats to "A Chorus Line". I wanted to see a quintissentially New York show -- and I can''t think of anything more New York than that.

Well, I hope you get back there some day. It''s a very expensive city -- the cost of hotel rooms is through the roof, even for the most modest of accommodation. This may be my last trip there for a long, long time.

Togal

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What else is on your itinerary?

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 12:01:37 PM
Author: Harriet
What else is on your itinerary?
Hi Harriet,

I know you''re in NY too.

Well, as far as site seeing, the first day (Friday), we plan to explore mid-town. We get off our cruiseship early in the morning, so we''re going to stowe our bags at the hotel prior to check-in (it''s at 45 W. 44th, beside the Algonquin) then we plan to wonder around mid-town -- probably do the empire state building again, rockefeller centre, trump tower, st. patrick''s cathedral, chrysler building, etc., etc. (this probably sounds boring to a New Yorker, but exciting to me).

Saturday is my shopping day. DH will be visiting museums that day (or more likely Jimmy''s corner bar) I know that the majority of the jewellery shops in the diamond district are closed that day due to the sabbath, but I want to shop up 5th, then back down Madison. That evening, we were planning to go to Ouest for dinner, then take in a jazz set at Dizzy''s at Lincoln Centre.

Sunday, we plan to go for brunch, then a 3:00 matinee to see A Chorus Line at the Schubert Theatre. Do you have any suggestions for a good spot for Sunday brunch? I saw a place called the Red Eye Grill in one of my books, and it looks really good (seafood jazz brunch). Not sure what we''re doing that evening, but we really wanted to check out many of the ''famous'' bars and cocktail lounges -- the 21 Club, etc. while we''re there. Can you tell we''re drinkers! LOL
3.gif

Monday is our Woody Allen night at the Carlyle. I reserved that day to explore Central Park and upper Manhattan.

Tuesday, we have tickets to see Michael Feinstein at the Regency.

We were thinking of possibly taking in a baseball game, but I''m a bit worried that it will take up an entire day, when we could be doing more sight seeing.

We plan to visit ground zero. We were thinking of doing one of the cruises that go the full circle around Manhattan island. Possibly a helicopter ride over the city. Maybe the staten Island Ferry or something like that.

I wanted to go to Johnny''s pizza and the Empire Diner, oh yes, and Magnolia Bakery on the day we do the lower section of Mahattan (Miranda on Sex in the City loves the cupcakes at Magnolia''s!). My husband wants to go to McSorley''s again (we went there many years ago).

Oh gosh....there are just so many things we want to do....it''s hard to think of them all. I''ve planned out a loose itinerary, but I''m sure other things will come up once we''re there.

If you have any recommendations of good restaurants/bars/entertainment (cheap, expensive, or anything in-between, I''d really welcome it). As you can imagine, it''s difficult when you don''t really know a place and have to rely on the internet and travel guides.
4.gif

Togal

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Sunday brunch: Many people like Norma''s at the Parker Meridien, but I''m not a fan -- I think it''s mediocre and overpriced. In midtown, I like Shelly''s (they''ve changed their menu recently, so call and check if they are still doing brunch) and Rue 57. The 4 Seasons is nice but expensive.

Lunch: Best deal in the city -- Jean-Georges for a weekday lunch (3 Michelin stars, 3 courses for $35).

Cupcakes: Sorry, but Magnolia''s cupcakes seem to have falled in standard. Since your hotel is in Midtown, try Buttercup Bake Shop on @nd Avenue between 51st and 5nd streets.

Feinstein: Will Feinstein himself be singing? Please let me know how that goes.

Jewellery: The Diamond District is probably quiet on a Saturday, but Tiffany, Cartier, Graff, Harry Winston, Van Cleef will all be open (though only Tiffany will be open on Sunday).

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 1:39:28 PM
Hi,

Sunday brunch: Many people like Norma's at the Parker Meridien, but I'm not a fan -- I think it's mediocre and overpriced. In midtown, I like Shelly's (they've changed their menu recently, so call and check if they are still doing brunch) and Rue 57. The 4 Seasons is nice but expensive.

Lunch: Best deal in the city -- Jean-Georges for a weekday lunch (3 Michelin stars, 3 courses for $35).

Cupcakes: Sorry, but Magnolia's cupcakes seem to have falled in standard. Since your hotel is in Midtown, try Buttercup Bake Shop on @nd Avenue between 51st and 5nd streets.

Jewellery: The Diamond District is probably quiet on a Saturday, but Tiffany, Cartier, Graff, Harry Winston, Van Cleef will all be open (though only Tiffany will be open on Sunday).

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of Jean-Georges for weekday lunch. If find that doing lunch at a fine restaurant is a great way to experience it, without breaking the bank. I think we might just try that one. Also, I will try to get to Buttercup Bake Shop. Too bad about Magnolia's. I have a coffee-table book of NY, and there's a huge picture of a tray of those freshly baked cupcakes, loaded with icing -- my mouth waters everytime look at it.

As for Feinsteins -- yes, Michael Feinstein himself is performing that night. He's doing an evening of Bobby Short..(but I thought Bobby Short always did Cole Porter?) So I guess we'll be seeing Michael Feinstein, signing Bobby Short, singing Cole Porter or something like that
41.gif
. I'll let you know how it turns out. I hopes it's good.

Thanks for the ideas...

Togal

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby and I went to NYC 5 years ago for two days, we LOVED it and want to go back. We were typical tourists. We went the end of October and it was freezing, or freezing because we are from California ha ha ha. We watched the filming of Regis and Kelly, which was fun. My hubby loved all of the Italian restaurants, so we hit a lot of those.

We rode through Central Park on an horse and carriage, my favorite of the trip. It was wonderful. We saw the Statue of Liberty, which brought tears to my eyes. We were just in awe of everything.

We visited Ground Zero, it was still a disaster. Parking spaces were still there, with the cars still parked in them. I, along, with others, cried my eyes out. There were wreaths with the police and fireman''s names on them that had died. We talked to the policemen on duty and told them what a wonderful job they had done. Two of the policewomen broke down in tears, made me cry too. I gave them both a big hug. We aren''t'' supposed to touch them, but I did it without thinking, but they hugged me back. It was really emotional to be there at that site.

Sorry, didn''t mean to babble so much. All in all, New York is a very exciting city and we really look forward to going back one day. The people were very friendly and warm to us. I don''t understand when I hear that New Yorkers are unfriendly people. Not true to these two Californians.

Linda

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Oh, you have to go to the Museum of Natural History and the Met! They''re honestly my favorite places in the city. I wish I could go every weekend, but I''m too busy with school! Forget about the tourist traps--I''m all about the museums!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 1:53:09 PM
Author: togal
Date: 4/20/2007 1:39:28 PM

Hi,

Sunday brunch: Many people like Norma''s at the Parker Meridien, but I''m not a fan -- I think it''s mediocre and overpriced. In midtown, I like Shelly''s (they''ve changed their menu recently, so call and check if they are still doing brunch) and Rue 57. The 4 Seasons is nice but expensive.

Cupcakes: Sorry, but Magnolia''s cupcakes seem to have falled in standard. Since your hotel is in Midtown, try Buttercup Bake Shop on @nd Avenue between 51st and 5nd streets.

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of Jean-Georges for weekday lunch. If find that doing lunch at a fine restaurant is a great way to experience it, without breaking the bank. I think we might just try that one. Also, I will try to get to Buttercup Bake Shop. Too bad about Magnolia''s. I have a coffee-table book of NY, and there''s a huge picture of a tray of those freshly baked cupcakes, loaded with icing -- my mouth waters everytime look at it.

As for Feinsteins -- yes, Michael Feinstein himself is performing that night. He''s doing an evening of Bobby Short..(but I thought Bobby Short always did Cole Porter?) So I guess we''ll be seeing Michael Feinstein, signing Bobby Short, singing Cole Porter or something like that
41.gif
. I''ll let you know how it turns out. I hopes it''s good.

Thanks for the ideas...

Togal

Togal,

Just an FYI, Buttercup Bake Shop is (or at least was) owned by one of the former owners of Magnolia Bakery. So I believe that most of their core recipes are the same. Magnolia also has a few great cookbooks if you''re ambitious enough to want to try to make the cupcakes yourself!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I love Primola''s. And, if your a Woody Allen fan, I''ve seen him in there a few times.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
New York is awesome. There a great funky boutiques and things, and fab restaurants too, not just the big name stuff. I just came back from NY, it was a gorgeous spring day and I hated to leave!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven''t explored Central Park yet, you should try to fit it into your schedule (for relaxing downtime). Even if you just walk around the reservoir (about 1.5 miles around, breezy, calm) you''ll get a glimpse of the greener side of NYC. I think centralpark.com has some info on popular spots.

If the weather''s nice, be sure to have dinner outdoors somewhere (if you''re near the Natural History Museum...try Ocean Grill or Isabella''s on Columbus Ave near 78th or 77th) to people watch. People watching is one of my favorite NYC activities.

Union Square is also fun. Great restaurants in the area.

Have fun in NY!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jean George, Milos, Per Se and Cafe Boulud are nice. I used to love Balthazar, do not even know if it is there or good still.

We love Scalinatella on the East side, great Italian food.

I love New York so much, galleries, museums, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results