shape
carat
color
clarity

Today''s Oprah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Is anyone watching the Oprah show? OMG the whole thing is just so scary to me ....

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Whats it about? We don''t have a TV.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:35:07 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Whats it about? We don't have a TV.

Oh it was about the FLDS gated community in Texas. They allowed Lisa Ling to go in and interview a few community members who were clearly under watch. The "happy image" they present just makes me feel so bad about those who suffer secretly, such as the girls that are having babies at the age of 12 or 14.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Must be an old episode, I remember seeing that last year sometime.

What makes you say that the community in Texas is hiding girls having children when they're 12-14? Or that they're presenting any image other than an accurate one for their family? Not all FLDS communities are the same. Polygamy often accompanies/leads to child abuse, but it doesn't always precipitate it.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the whole thing is creepy. The girls who were interviewed seemed like they were brain washed! But I think that the guy (Jessop?) did make a good point when he said that men have countless mistresses and have children with different women and nobody says anything about it but the mormons get a bad rep for having multiple "wives".
Why do they all wear that weird hairstyle?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 4:35:07 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Whats it about? We don''t have a TV.
That''s an interesting fact about you!

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 9:15:38 PM
Author: chiapet
I agree that the whole thing is creepy. The girls who were interviewed seemed like they were brain washed! But I think that the guy (Jessop?) did make a good point when he said that men have countless mistresses and have children with different women and nobody says anything about it but the mormons get a bad rep for having multiple 'wives'.

I think they want to keep their society completely different from the outside world so everything has to be different, their hair style and their clothes, so they feel a strong bond to their families and their religion.

One thing I don't get is when the leader said that girls get married when they choose to get married, but the girls are saying they get married when their parents tell them to get married... which means, there is really no choice given to them?

I do agree his statement is well said, but i don't think it justifies polygamy

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 9:15:38 PM
Author: chiapet
I agree that the whole thing is creepy. The girls who were interviewed seemed like they were brain washed! But I think that the guy (Jessop?) did make a good point when he said that men have countless mistresses and have children with different women and nobody says anything about it but the mormons get a bad rep for having multiple ''wives''.
nobody says anything about this?? ... huh....
33.gif

Morality aside... one isn''t breaking the law

I just don''t think this is a good argument to justify what your doing by comparing it to adultery/having children with different women.
Its like punching someone and saying "oh yeah, well... he did it too, why aren''t you punishing him?!" --- doesn''t make either one less wrong! (bad example)

sorry chiapet--- not trying to pick on your post (just picking on his statement)-- this stuff tends to bother me a lot
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results