shape
carat
color
clarity

To upgrade studs or not?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of 0.84ctw (4.6mm each) OEC bezel studs that I love. I think they’re a nice size on my ear but I honestly didn’t compare other sizes and bought what was in budget at the time.

Now I’m working on a sapphire three stone ring and my studs are the perfect size to be the side stones (using an 84% diameter ratio). They look big in this picture because of the bezels but the math checks out for a 5.7mm center stone

So the question is, do I source new OECs the same size for the ring? Or use my earrings for the ring and upgrade to bigger studs? And if so how much bigger? I don’t want to spend extra money and have them so close in size that I don't notice, but I’ve also blown the budget for this ring already and don’t want to go crazy.

5787AA0A-ACF0-421C-B213-4308467C0A00.jpeg 620CA6A2-ABA4-40DA-8773-90F7598C1B83.jpeg

My question is if you have the budget to buy new studs? I would set a budget of how much you’re willing to spend on new studs and do some digging to see what you find within your budget. If it’s proving cost prohibitive, maybe consider getting some simulants/MMDs for your ring or studs right now, with the option to upgrade to earth mined in the future when funds become available? Or setting your sapphire as a solitaire for now and changing it later?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My question is if you have the budget to buy new studs? I would set a budget of how much you’re willing to spend on new studs and do some digging to see what you find within your budget. If it’s proving cost prohibitive, maybe consider getting some simulants/MMDs for your ring or studs right now, with the option to upgrade to earth mined in the future when funds become available? Or setting your sapphire as a solitaire for now and changing it later?

I don’t want to reset anything or pay for multiple settings so I’d really like to do it now or not at all. I could get the new studs now and wait a bit to set the ring maybe since the setting is going to be a lot. Honestly money is available but there is also a house to be re-sided etc so I don’t want to go crazy. Can I spend an extra $700 and get something big enough where I’d notice the difference? Or would they look basically the same as what I have?

Also if I don’t upgrade my studs now I won’t upgrade them. I’m too sentimental to part with the stones so using them in this ring is kind of the perfect way to make room for new studs.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like big studs and I think these look perfect with the ring you’re working— so I’d do it!

@Mamajemmy Just curious - what size do you consider to be big in terms of studs? Everyone has a different threshold I guess and I'm just curious to see what you think!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
@Mamajemmy Just curious - what size do you consider to be big in terms of studs? Everyone has a different threshold I guess and I'm just curious to see what you think!

Good question! That’s kind of what I’m trying to figure out.
And would 1ctw be big enough vs what I have that I would notice? Would I need to go to 1.2ctw? My ears could easily fit something bigger but like I said I don’t want to go nuts since I’m supposed to be making a ring here haha

I don’t want to reset anything or pay for multiple settings so I’d really like to do it now or not at all. I could get the new studs now and wait a bit to set the ring maybe since the setting is going to be a lot. Honestly money is available but there is also a house to be re-sided etc so I don’t want to go crazy. Can I spend an extra $700 and get something big enough where I’d notice the difference? Or would they look basically the same as what I have?

Also if I don’t upgrade my studs now I won’t upgrade them. I’m too sentimental to part with the stones so using them in this ring is kind of the perfect way to make room for new studs.

I understand what you mean, I’m sentimental too! I’m not great with prices, but in my experience I would say you need to go maybe 20-25% higher in size in order to see a visible difference. So I would see if I could cross the 1ctw (aiming for 1.2ctw) mark within your budget and not take the plunge otherwise.

Good question! That’s kind of what I’m trying to figure out.
And would 1ctw be big enough vs what I have that I would notice? Would I need to go to 1.2ctw? My ears could easily fit something bigger but like I said I don’t want to go nuts since I’m supposed to be making a ring here haha

We posted at the same time! I have heard that you need a minimum of 0.2mm difference in size to be visible to the eye, or around a 20-25% jump in ct weight, as I posted earlier. Setting your studs in a halo (or jacket halo) or something would also help with visible size. I think the absolute minimum you should consider is 1ctw but aim for a bit higher if you can at 1.1-1.2ctw.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We posted at the same time! I have heard that you need a minimum of 0.2mm difference in size to be visible to the eye, or around a 20-25% jump in ct weight, as I posted earlier. Setting your studs in a halo (or jacket halo) or something would also help with visible size. I think the absolute minimum you should consider is 1ctw but aim for a bit higher if you can at 1.1-1.2ctw.

Thank you that is super helpful! I’ll aim towards 1.2 and see if I’m willing to spend that.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

Totally— it all depends on the ear. On my ear I think 1.5ctw looks pretty big and perfect and 2ctw looks big. That’s what I would love—- one day!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I’m working with OWD because they made my original earrings and my necklace. Adam said he pulled a few and will send me videos tomorrow so fingers crossed! Still have to tell my husband about my plan haha

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like big studs and I think these look perfect with the ring you’re working— so I’d do it!
Me too. Save the single ones for me... :wavey:

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I really like how your current studs would look as sides for your yummy sapphire. I think this is a perfect way to repurpose these sentimental stones and upgrade your earrings. I have been wearing 1.24ct in each ear for 10 years (an upgrade from .75 each) and still feel they have great presence. I’d recommend something close to that!

Last edited:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I really like how your current studs would look as sides for your yummy sapphire. I think this is a perfect way to repurpose these sentimental stones and upgrade your earrings. I have 1.24ct studs and I think they have great presence. I’d recommend something close to that!

I’m still waiting to hear from OWD with my options and I’m getting impatient! I hope he doesn’t come back with 1ctw and then I send him back for something bigger haha. I’d love to get 1.2ctw if it’s too far out of budget.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
I recently got these from Diana at sin city finds for $1400. 1.14 ctw OECs bezeled in platinum - about 6.2mm each with bezel, diamonds face up at 5.3mm each. They’re lovely and I have some pretty camera shots of them!

I’m contemplating reselling them as I have my eye on something else. I might be willing to part with them for same price as I paid for them. Let me know if you’re interested (I’m still them playing if I really want to sell them). If anything, hope the images help you confirm o the size and style that you want!

——

for old world diamonds, adam’s other site peace and carats has an OEC option you might like but they are not bezeled:
1.35 ctw for $1950

Diamond Weight: 1.30 Total Weight
Diamond Shape: Old European Diamonds
Color: I-J
Clarity: SI
Diamond Measurements: 5.7mm
Metal: 14k White Gold
Pushbacks

Price: $1,950 • Free Shipping

His main site old world diamonds don’t list them but there are other options (much more expensive)
https://oldworlddiamonds.com/jewelry.php?section=3&version=1595312739

—-
hope you find the the right studs for you!

Last edited:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I recently got these from Diana at sin city finds for $1400. 1.14 ctw OECs bezeled in platinum - about 6.2mm each with bezel, diamonds face up at 5.3mm each. They’re lovely and I have some pretty camera shots of them!

I’m contemplating reselling them as I have my eye on something else. I might be willing to part with them for same price as I paid for them. Let me know if you’re interested (I’m still them playing if I really want to sell them). If anything, hope the images help you confirm o the size and style that you want!

——

for old world diamonds, adam’s other site peace and carats has an OEC option you might like but they are not bezeled:
1.35 ctw for $1950

Pushbacks

His main site old world diamonds don’t list them but there are other options (much more expensive)

—-

Oh interesting, I didn't see those! I noticed that they linked Peace and Carat to their main page so I only looked there and didn't go to the standalone site, assuming they were the same inventory. I worry that those are already sold because I bought a necklace from them and it remained on the site for a while, but I'll definitely ask. Adam said setting isn't important and he'll reset anything if I like the stones.The only ones one the main site that fit my size/budget are L-M which is a little too low color for me.

Your studs are super pretty! I love the stones. My only issue is that they aren't screw backs so I'd have to reset anyway (I lose anything that isn't screw back, and I leave my studs in 24/7).

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

——

1.35 ctw for $1950

Pushbacks

—-

I’d love to see pictures of your studs if OP is not interested in purchasing them!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I ordered these and they should be here tomorrow! 1.25ctw, L-M OECs. Adam didn't come up with another better pair especially for this price. I was worried about the color since I'll have them reset into white gold bezels, but then I remembered my necklace is a J-K in a white gold bezel and I'm totally fine with the color so I think it will be fine. He's sending them in this setting and I'll send them back to be reset, or to find something else if I don't like them. And then he'll unset my old earrings and they'll be off to Maytal Hannah to make my ring.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
They are here! The cut is beautiful. I think they’re more sparkly than my current earrings (though they’re probably dirty) or my necklace. They are definitely a lower color (vendor estimates L-M) but the yellow gold basket certainly makes them look more yellow.

I’m a little conflicted on setting now. I never wear yellow gold so I really prefer white and I really prefer bezels, but I feel like that might not be the best option for these. I need to think about it. Rose gold is pretty and trendy but these are my every day earrings and that wouldn’t match anything else I have.

Pics! 1.25ctw 5.3mm L-M compared to 0.84ct 4.6mm H-I.

22C6DE77-26BE-40E3-87FE-55953B3838E8.jpeg E719C6DA-6B71-4E6B-989C-C59181217D94.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Could you add a photo of the new studs next to the sapphire? I’m specifically looking for facet pattern. The original photo showing the three-stone setup looks like the tables are a nice effect. I think what your eye loves is the deciding factor, because you’ll be looking at the finished ring all the time, and I hope it makes you smile every time you see it!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Could you add a photo of the new studs next to the sapphire? I’m specifically looking for facet pattern. The original photo showing the three-stone setup looks like the tables are a nice effect. I think what your eye loves is the deciding factor, because you’ll be looking at the finished ring all the time, and I hope it makes you smile every time you see it!

I can take a pic but the new studs are for my ears, not the ring. The old studs are definitely going into the ring and these will be in my ears. They are also too big and too low in color to go well with the sapphire.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
But I will be resetting the studs. OWD sent them in the current mounting so I could decide if I liked them and then I’ll send them back to be reset

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Ok I understand now - sorry I didn’t get the full picture at first.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
No worries! I think I’ll start a post asking for opinions on the setting for the studs. I feel like they are in the perfect setting for the stones but it’s opposite of my personal taste.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock

——

1.35 ctw for $1950

Pushbacks

—-

@reirei hi I’m just searching threads here for bezel studs, trying to decide if I need some, and I saw your post... did you end up reselling yours or are you enjoying them now? I love the looks of the bezel martini style.. thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results