shape
carat
color
clarity

To upgrade, perchance to see fire...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I have been planning a jewelry project to celebrate finally getting a tenure-track faculty position and birthing an 8.5lb baby all in the same month
3.gif
Was thinking of all kinds of projects -- eternity band, re-setting my solitaire as a halo, re-setting my solitaire as a three-stone, a sapphire RHR. I have agonized over this for the last few months! Which project should I do???? I'm so indecisive because I am cheap and don't want to regret anything.

Well today I looked my hubby in the eyes and said, "What should I do?" Well he looked right back and said, "You should get a bigger diamond because that is what you really want."

I love this man.

I told him this would cost a little more than we had planned originally, because we would be jumping the magic 1 carat mark. He said I deserved it because it was a pretty big job that I got! And a pretty big baby, I reminded him
12.gif

So I had been eyeing this gorgeous 1.168ct K SI1 ACA for a few weeks, fantasizing. I have a .80ct J VS2 right now.But here's the thing... is this size big enough to be really noticable? Should I upgrade now or should I wait, probably a year or more, and make a bigger leap, maybe to 1.3? I worry that after all this the new diamond will look the same as my current one
15.gif
Will the new color bother me? I don't think so, but who knows?

Here is a picture from 777_LDY that just happens to show two diamonds almost the same size as the ones I am considering trading: a .78 and a 1.20. It looks pretty noticable to me...

What do you all think? I guess I need some enabeling
9.gif

sizecompareDD.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
ooh, lovely dilemma!

Firstly, hats off to your man for coming to the party. If you want to keep your sol (and I LOVE solitaires!) I think an upgrade in size is great, because it helps maintain that excitement that can dwindle over time.

On the other hand, why fret? You, too, can have ''all of the above'' if you are willing to wait and wait...jewels can be a lifetime journey, after all!

So... if you think you''d prefer to keep your original stone - and that''s an important consideration, is it not? - why not consider a three stone for now? That would commemorate that baby (7-pounds-something is ALWAYS enough for me!!) and the job, and give you a hefty dose of blingage besides!

Then, for a significant anni, like the tenth or fifteenth (here''s me not having a clue how long you''ve been married, btw), you can go for a whole new stone?

Or, perhaps, two eternity bands, to wear each side of your sol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lara weeel we have only been married 2 years and this particular diamond is not my original e-ring anyways! LOL! My original e-rong was a sapphire and we made that into a three-stone a while ago, I wear it as a RHR. This ring we bought it last year for my birthday and for "whatever"! So there is no sentiment. One day I will have all of the above, like you mentioned, but right now I have to choose where to put my pennies and I guess when I really think about it I guess where I want to put them is towards a bigger rock. And wowee, wait 10 or 15 years for an upgrade? I think I am too demanding and impatient
3.gif

Do you think that the 1.2 is very noticably larger than the .8 in the picture?

gummibear

Shiny_Rock
Go for it!!! I think it will look lovely and the 1.2 ct faces up a lot bigger than the .8 ct.

And I just love the title of this thread!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 10:33:41 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Lara weeel we have only been married 2 years and this particular diamond is not my original e-ring anyways! LOL! My original e-rong was a sapphire and we made that into a three-stone a while ago, I wear it as a RHR. This ring we bought it last year for my birthday and for 'whatever'! So there is no sentiment. One day I will have all of the above, like you mentioned, but right now I have to choose where to put my pennies and I guess when I really think about it I guess where I want to put them is towards a bigger rock. And wowee, wait 10 or 15 years for an upgrade? I think I am too demanding and impatient
3.gif

Do you think that the 1.2 is very noticably larger than the .8 in the picture?

haha yes I see your point! I say go the upgrade, and then if you don't like it... upgrade again!!!!
3.gif

I do like the idea of two stones or two rings to commemorate the two successes though..
Maybe when you are finished having all your babies, you can get yourself a stacker set, or a multi-stone ring, to commemorate the 'labours'. I'm hoping to do that, kinda like: 'this one's for N, and this one's for T and this one's for...' etc

ETA: yes, I do think there's a noticeable difference, 1.2 is a bit of a sweet spot for me... or maybe post PS, it's edging towards 1.3!
3.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I do think there will be a noticeable difference between what you''ve got and the 1.168. And honestly, no, I don''t think the color would be an issue in a well cut stone. I say go for it!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Go for it! You will definitely notice the size, and I think it''s what you really want!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That's a huge upgrade in size. Make sure it's eye clean (to you) if you go to SI1 and if you think K is going to bother you consider J. Good luck! Congratulations on your child and on your tenure track position!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice the difference in all the stones above. That''s a great comparison. It sounds like you really want to upgrade and 1.2 is a very noticable jump from the .8.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the size difference will be pretty noticeable, especially if it's a solitaire style ring.

I don't think the color will be too much of a problem if you love the K-color stone you already have, I don't think the J will be that noticeably different. I would only worry about it if you currently had a D/E color and had never seen a K in person because that'd be a bigger jump which you might not be used to. Or if you didn't like the J stone you currently have (but it seems you love it).

Yay upgrade!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Go for it....that will be a significant upgrade!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey dd, I''m glad you''re back. I missed hearing from you.

Heck yeah! you''ll definitely see the difference between .80 pts and 1.17 cts. Go for it! We''re very happy to enable!

Congrats on the arrival of your little one.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Wow congrats on everything! And it''s definitely some accomplishments to celebrate!!!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
DO IT.... I don''t think you wil notice the color difference at all. I think you will be very happy with your change.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I know FOR SURE that you will notice the difference is size. I say this because I have a 1.07 RB (e-ring) and then I have a 1.13 OMC. You would think that the 1.13 would be bigger, right? WRONG-o! The OMC carries its weight in it''s depth, where the 1.07 (Expert Selection) was cut for spread. The difference between the two is very noticeable to me, and that is only a small carat weight difference! I can only imagine the difference between a .8 and a 1.2
6.gif
31.gif

The colour is a non-issue (especially in an ACA). the key is making sure the ACA is ''spready'', thereby maximizing the increase in size and lessening the dreaded DSS
11.gif

CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS!!!!!!! You have done a lot in the past year - you deserve this! Congrats Dreamer!!!!!
36.gif

Festy

Shiny_Rock
Heck yeah I notice the difference! Do it! And OBVIOUSLY do it so it''s upgradeable again.
31.gif
DD, I''ve been totally stalking your project threads...I can''t wait to see this!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I definitely see the difference. Go for the upgrade!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I will go for the upgrade, maybe in 5 years you can update again and get a 1.5
11.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Do the upgrade. You will definitely see the difference - you deserve it too! Big baby!
emsmileo.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just what I needed to hear everyone! LOL! For me it is hard to justify spending money on something totally frivolous like this. We can afford it, but obviously there are things it *could* be spent on first! And even sometimes I think that I should spend my play money on something more...I don''t know...normal, like a vacation or something.
20.gif

But if my new diamond looks as much bigger on my finger as that center 1.2 looks compared to is flanking .78s in 777_LDY''s picture, then I will be ONE HAPPY CAMPER!
9.gif

I am going to call WF tonight and ship it to them on Friday!

Date: 4/15/2009 1:55:17 PM
Author: gaby06
I will go for the upgrade, maybe in 5 years you can update again and get a 1.5
11.gif
Gaby, I think that I will be upgrading again sooner than that
11.gif
Mama needs her treats!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:53:48 AM
Author: Imdanny
That''s a huge upgrade in size. Make sure it''s eye clean (to you) if you go to SI1 and if you think K is going to bother you consider J. Good luck! Congratulations on your child and on your tenure track position!
WF says it''s eye clean, and the 40x magnification doesn''t really show anything! The inclusions look like they are white. I will double check, but I am pretty sure it will be okay.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 9:20:33 AM
Author: gemgirl
Hey dd, I''m glad you''re back. I missed hearing from you.

Heck yeah! you''ll definitely see the difference between .80 pts and 1.17 cts. Go for it! We''re very happy to enable!

Congrats on the arrival of your little one.
Thanks GemGirl! I never left PS but just spent all my time in Family H&H when I was preggo! Now that the baby is O-U-T, I have more mental energy for other things. Like bling
2.gif

Festy

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and don''t forget to have "before" pics at the ready so I don''t have to go stalking your original e-ring thread!
17.gif
Can''t wait! Are you using your original setting?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Definitely looks noticeable to me!!
31.gif
31.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d like to keep it in the sleek line legato that I have, I puffy heart this setting and I don''t want to shell out more $$... WF says it is highly likely they can fit the new diamond with a new head. Cross your fingers that''s all it takes, I''d hate to shell out another $800!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results