shape
carat
color
clarity

to those of you already living with FI...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
are you planning on doing anything, so your house or apartment feels different after the wedding? i was wondering about this because i just realized that when FI and i get home the following day, nothing much would be different except that we''re married
3.gif
same apartment, same bed, same couch, same stuff...

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
wow.... didn''t even think about that. I have no idea what to do to make it different. We are leaving right after for our honeymoon, but youre right... same old when we get home.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...hadn''t thought about that either! Cool idea! How about finally kicking my FFIL out? (another story all together)

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
interesting thought!
maybe have someone put up wedding pictures for when you get back?

or change a layout of a room?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 11:15:21 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love
Hmmm...hadn''t thought about that either! Cool idea! How about finally kicking my FFIL out? (another story all together)
this made me LOL!!! haha...i would actually LOVE to hear that story!

we have lived together for about a year. we registered for all new linens, and we wont use them until after the wedding, plus i''m redecorating the whole bedroom. the plan is to go ahead and re-do the bedroom ASAP after the honeymoon to make it "ours". we''ve redone a lot of the house, but never touched the bedroom, so that''s where i''m starting, and whatever we don''t get from the wedding, i''m spending the wedding money on new stuff for at least that room.

ok, so this is kind of crazy and might get me kicked off the forum. but we stopped having sex for the past 3 months so that things would be "special" when we get home again. we are going on a honeymoon, but then also having a second "honeymoon" of special gifts i''m giving to him for the first week once we get home and back into the grind. maybe this helps a little bit?? the idea is to make the little while after the honeymoon at least feel special for as long as i can. and i also have saved up some restaurant gift cards- we go out to eat so often, but we can maybe order the really expensive things or get some drinks with dinner for a few weeks after the wedding. maybe i''m crazy, but i wanted some fun stuff for my whole "wedding month."

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 12:40:24 AM
Author: jcarlylew
interesting thought!

maybe have someone put up wedding pictures for when you get back?

or change a layout of a room?
oh that''s the problem, FI and i currently live in a studio apartment, we planned on getting a house two years ago and it fell through, so we''ve been renting here ever since, we don''t have any photos up and barely have any furniture as we thought this was a temporary situation, i guess part of me is sad that even after our wedding, this is where we will call home, but maybe some photos will help
1.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 12:50:20 AM
Author: charbie

this made me LOL!!! haha...i would actually LOVE to hear that story!

we have lived together for about a year. we registered for all new linens, and we wont use them until after the wedding, plus i''m redecorating the whole bedroom. the plan is to go ahead and re-do the bedroom ASAP after the honeymoon to make it ''ours''. we''ve redone a lot of the house, but never touched the bedroom, so that''s where i''m starting, and whatever we don''t get from the wedding, i''m spending the wedding money on new stuff for at least that room.

ok, so this is kind of crazy and might get me kicked off the forum. but we stopped having sex for the past 3 months so that things would be ''special'' when we get home again. we are going on a honeymoon, but then also having a second ''honeymoon'' of special gifts i''m giving to him for the first week once we get home and back into the grind. maybe this helps a little bit?? the idea is to make the little while after the honeymoon at least feel special for as long as i can. and i also have saved up some restaurant gift cards- we go out to eat so often, but we can maybe order the really expensive things or get some drinks with dinner for a few weeks after the wedding. maybe i''m crazy, but i wanted some fun stuff for my whole ''wedding month.''
wow, charbie, those are some great ideas, i think you are right, i''m going to try to make it special instead of making it seem the wedding is over back to ho hum, we are also going on a honeymoon, but i''ll try to think of ways to make the time at home more interesting
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, we did nothing when we got back. To be honest, it was just so nice to be back in our house with our pets and have nothing to do, no wedding planning, invites, etc. Just us in our normal life.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I am with Charbie in that we will set up stuff with new linens and towels that we register for, in the meantime we will use whatever stuff we have accumulated. Also, for us, if the timing plays out we will be purchasing a house within weeks of the actual wedding so in a way the house and moving in will be the biggest change/adjustment to married life. Ah, also our house will be a kosher home while our apartments have not been so that is a HUGE change especially for him. I am really excited for it.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
hahaha! my ffil was living with us for a while-not anymore because he moved for work, but i get along with him really well and enjoyed his company! but i will say, that when he left it was amazing! we could spread out our things all over the apartment, cook dinner whenever we wanted (or not cook for that matter!), sit in front of the tv in our underwear and drink (wow that sounds classy!)....it was wonderful!! i hope you get that too!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 4:02:12 AM
Author: bee*
Nope, we did nothing when we got back. To be honest, it was just so nice to be back in our house with our pets and have nothing to do, no wedding planning, invites, etc. Just us in our normal life.

i will be so happy to have coco (our cat) back-we have never left her for so long and i know that we will really miss her!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
After being gone for a couple weeks and all the wedding stressors, I was actually really excited to come home to our house and get back into the mundane aspects of life. For me, it felt really comforting to see our house the same. I do, though, wish we would have hired someone to clean it right before we returned, though, because the last thing I wanted to do was clean.

We do, though, plan on having little "newlywed nights" to continue the honeymoon, like charbie where we are trying to go out to dinner, movies, etc. at least once per week our first year of marriage.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Well we put a lot of appliances and house stuff on our registry so we''ll probably be using those in our NEW home
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I just visited the house yesterday, and its not completely finished yet (roller door in the garage to be installed, little finishing touches here and there to be added in) but I love that we get to decorate our own place!!!

We are living together now, but renting, so i guess my situation is a little different than yours
3.gif

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow! I also never thought about this! I would love to change the place around and maybe get some new fruniture. Maybe we could get our bedroom painted while we are away on our honeymoon. Great thread!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
We are going to get stuck into our garden when we get back. It will be nice to just crash in front of the telly on occasion and not think that I should be doing something for the wedding!

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
We bought a home this spring, so ideally what I''d like to do is go furniture shopping with *some* of the money from the wedding!!! :) Maybe focus on one room (probably the living room) to finish it off and make it exactly what we want!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just set up all the wedding presents, put together some frames with wedding photos, etc.

One of our friends got us a gorgeous Waterford crystal 8x11 frame, and so we put one of your wedding photos in it and it's sitting on your bedroom dresser, looking all pretty and classy. Also sitting on that dress is the rabbit sized 24k gold (hollow) pig statue that my uncle got us as a present, not so classy, but funny! What's even funnier is my hubby didn't know it was hollow and tried to pick it up, and it being soft 24k gold...it dented. I now have my hubby's fingerprints stored on the flank of a garishly hilarious pure gold pig in my bedroom. That's certainly something new and different in our apartment.

In case you were wondering, No, I did not register for that pig...

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
What a great thread!!
I just noticed how much I''ve been "nesting" lately. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 new colors of paint for the living room and kitchen.
I''m going to get started next week after I graduate school and have some free time. I''m hoping my spruce up will be done in November, then my bridal shower, then the holidays, then the wedding, then I''ll have time to enjoy my new pretty colors!!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 9:47:40 PM
Author:ficklefaye
i just realized that when FI and i get home the following day, nothing much would be different except that we''re married
3.gif
we didn''t change anything, and believe me - just being married made it feel different enough!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 4:02:12 AM
Author: bee*
This is what I''m looking most forward to! No more go go go, wedding wedding wedding! It''s exhausting!
14.gif

But it was nice to pick out things together to make our house OURS, instead of the mish mash of stuff we had.

We''re also moving the week before the wedding, so we''ll have a practically new place to come home to.
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 11:01:26 AM
Author: musey

Date: 9/18/2009 9:47:40 PM
Author:ficklefaye
i just realized that when FI and i get home the following day, nothing much would be different except that we''re married
3.gif
we didn''t change anything, and believe me - just being married made it feel different enough!
+1. Also, don''t think that everything is just going to be simple when you get "home". You will have tons of presents to unwrap and figure out where to pack away and then there are the thank you notes. That will take up almsot the first month after the wedding. You''ll have plenty to do that is "new"!

In case that isn''t enough, we decided to plan for a sewer to back-up into our place while we were on our honeymoon. That added a nice "new" feeling to coming home...
40.gif

andex23

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you have to have something that "feels different"? For awhile, I thought that nothing would change after we got married. We already live together, we own our home, etc. Then, getting into the planning, I thought that a whole bunch of stuff would change. Now, I''m more on the original wavelength of not much is changing.

We live together already. We''ve already dealt with the extra "stuff" that both he and I brought into the house--ugly sofa, stuffed animals, concrete corings...you get the point.

Am I being weird that I don''t want things to change that much? Except for the addition of presents...and that I''m thinking of is more like Christmas...

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i guess i''m not really expecting for things to change, but i find it strange that i''m spending so much money on one day of celebration and i get home the next day and bam! same thing minus the wedding prep
3.gif
well i do have the vacation to look forward to
9.gif

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Well the day after we get back from our honeymoon we will be moving into our new home!
36.gif
I haven''t opened anything we got from the bridal shower or any wedding gifts that we started receiving and I am saving everything for our new home! We cannot wait!

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Well, although we are opening our wedding gifts, we aren''t going to actually use ANY of them at our current apartment. We are going to start house shopping as soon as we return from the honeymoon and will save all of our gifts for the new house. So, although we will return to an identical apartment, I think the process of moving into a new home will bring with it a feeling of change - marriage + house!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
We already own our first home together. We moved in just over a year ago. We''ve made a point to not buy much new anything, so our registry is full of things like new towels, table cloths, sheets etc...we will wait till post wedding to use that fun stuff. Pots, pans and coffee maker? We''ll put that stuff to use as soon as we are gifted with it.

Otherwise, I think like others have said-an emphasis on hanging a wedding photo or two and back to regular life, just new and improved as married folk.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results