shape
carat
color
clarity

To the Montrealers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure everyone here knows my love for New York. I have loved it/wanted to live there since I was a teenager. I live in Boston which, lately to me, does not have anything to offer anymore. I''ve outgrown it, most of the good rock clubs are gone, everything being built is high-end, luxury condos and apartments that no one but the rich suburbanites can afford. I could not survive living on my own here; it''s so expensive. I realize that NYC is crazy expensive too, but at least you get everything at your front door- roughly a 10 minute walk, subway ride or cab ride to whatever you want to to.

This said, I''m considering my other favorite city which is Montreal. In the million times I''ve been there I''m thinking it''s an option to move to, since it''s comparatively more affordable than Boston. I know some Quebecios that weren''t raised speaking French, some don''t even know it now, so I''m thinking I could survive just speaking English? (at least for a while until I learn it enough to be conversational) I have learned some French simply by visiting, picking up more and more.

So, how difficult would it be for me to move to Canada? What would be the biggest challenges that I would have in that city? Is it a good idea? Really exoensive process? I''m stuck here after the wedding at least until next summer or so, but I want out of Mass. so badly. I have been doing some research, but with the wedding planning I can''t devote more time to it, so I figured what better than to ask the folks who live there and can give me the real scoop.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nytemist!!

Well I certinly can''t jump into a discussion about my city which I LOVE!

Ok, well can you speak english only? In terms of Montreal (the island) yes. In most stores/resturants the standard is to greet in both languages (hello/bonjour). And the people in stores will make a HUGE effort to speak to you in english.There''s a very strong english/multicultural presence in downtown Montreal. Road signs are in french, but that''s not a huge obstacle.

I think the only issue is what your job/occupation is. For example a lot of office/company/banking jobs are bilingual. They will tend to speak french in conversation, with documents being written in English. My mom speaks only french and she says she would rather speak only english because so much of her work is in english. I know that traditionally there will be a lot of telemarketing/customer support jobs where they prefer you speak english. Once you have found work, it''s really a non issue. Although, I''ve seen a lot of ads for english jobs lately.

On the island of Montreal, I would say that 90% of people understand english, some of the people might be very shy to speak english, and respond in french even though they understood what you said. That''s the same case in busiiness/school interaction. And there''s a huge ehtnic community that by in large will be perfectly bilingual (like me
2.gif
)

As for cost. Well cost of living in Montreal (compared to NY anyways is low). My friend is currently renting a 31/2 in montreal, beautiful high rise, spacious, hardwood floow, etc, for $700 per month. If you are willing to live off island (south shore, north shore) which is by car (7-8 minute drive to downtown montreal) or a 7-8 minute ride on a bus, I have a friend currently renting a 61/2 (HUGEE!!!!! I tell you, bigger then most houses) for $650 per month.

Now it all depends on if you were planning to live 1-2 years, or permenent resident. So there''s a difference in work visa and permenent resident. For the permenent resident then health care/meds are free (or really low in any case...maybe 10$ for a perscription). And the big thing is TAXES. This is the annoyance. It''s a 14% sales tax on EVERYTHING except for food, and overtime, that''s adding up. For income depending on your bracket (over $50 000) you''re looking at 50% (approximately).

My boyfriend''s sister''s husband recently moved to Montreal after getting married. The process to become permenent resident cost him about $2500 Canadian dollars.

Now I have to say in terms of positive. Well because the way that taxes, minimum salary and health care work out. The majority of couples working a decent-ish job....so we''re saying maybe $48 000 combined income, will be able to afford a house in the suburbs and a car. A nice house, decent neighborhood. If you want a condo on the island, there''s nicer areas then others (although by no means crime ridden) I think we had 4-5 murders on the montreal territory last year.

A two bedroom condo on the island will start at $120 000 although everything in montreal is not new contruction. Of the island, here''s an example of something that''s about 10 minutes off island:

http://www.remax-quebec.com/en/propriete/ficheResult.jsp?uls=M1242304&nPosUlsList=21

It all depends if you want newer condo, or the downtown feel.

Now there might seem to be a a lot of cons, but some pros:

a) There''s a steller night life
b) Resturants and terraces to DIE FOR
c) The old port in Old Montreal (cobblestone streets, old buildings, horse drawn carriages, out door entertainment)
d) A distinctly european flair
e) We''re about a 2 hour drive to Quebec city...which for a weekend getaway...IS one of the most pyschotically beautiful romantice places on earth. PERIOD. The only reason I don"t live there is that it''s very french canadian, and there is very weak ethnic presence.
f) I can''t explain it but there''s a real energy to ths city.
g) Festival''s in the summer galore!!! Just for laughs, Nuit d''Afrique (African nights..music), Grand Prix weekend, Montreal film festival.

http://www.montreal.com/tourism/fests.html

Now these aren''t small festivals, we''re talking a huge portion of the downtwon blocked off, and people spilling onto the streets.

Now I think the really valid point you brought up is what kind of living you''ll have in Montreal. Altough the tax is annoying, owning propoerty, or a nice apartment, isn''t for ''the rich", which is the same complaint I got from people that moved to florida, NY and then came back to Montreal, or from people that moved to Montreal from certin parts of the US.

If it''s a good idea? Well with anything it can be an adjustement, especially to the french-speaking. But if you are both together, it can be a really terrific adventure.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the details! I love, love, love that fact that Montreal supports the arts community. The past two years I''ve been there for the jazz festival and I loved it. Been there for numerous arts festivals, the reggae festival, you name it since the mid-eighties. And of course the nightlife- I''ve gone up to Metropolis and Club Soda so many times over the years to see shows. And I always love going to Saphir on St. Laurent. During the summer, walking the promenade in the Old port is great.

I know the tax is kind of high, but kind of balances out since lots of things are not too expensive. I had no idea that places to live were that reasonable. I have a friend that lives on St. Dominique off of Mont Royal and she has this unreal, floor-through condo with skylights that would be a million here in Boston and she didn''t even pay a fraction of that.

I finished school for massage therapy and also have to look into getting licensed there. I''m not sure what that involves yet. That would be my line of work. I''m not sure if that kind of profession would need sponsorship. I''m guessing that if I were to work in, say, a hotel, I would be speaking English most of the time. I''ve never been to Quebec City, for I know they are adamant about speaking French.

The only area I''m not too familiar with is the low number end of St. Catherine. Other neighborhoods are great. My favorite is the plateau. I''m leaning towards permanent residency, I think I could be happy there. Ian doesn''t really have a particular desire for any specific city, but he is also fed up with Mass. and is also willing to move, he''s just concerned about finding a job. I think it would be fabulous fresh start for both of us. His favorite sister already loves out of state and his parents plan on movin, so nothing really holds him here. I can really feel like I''m starting over with my new husband, far from my toxic mother.

I know it wouldn''t be an easy thing, but I think it may be a good thing to do.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Nytemist,

Well I think with massage therapy, that''s a rally great profession to be in where french is not a requirement. The basics will cover a lot of it, just basic meet and greet. I have a friend that also did massage therapy and she speaks only english
1.gif
so it''s very possible. Also, there''s areas of Montreal that are predominently English only, primiarly Westmount and Outremount (very wealthy).

As for Plateau Montreal, that is a very hip, young, art inclined neighborhood, so I''m not surprise that you love it. I''ve had many friends live in the Plateau and it''s very affordable. In terms of renting (buying is a little more iffy). However, if you are planning to buy, I would say to move a little away from centre-ville because prices drop dramaticallly, and it''s sometimes 3 short subway stops away.

In terms of jobs, I think it would be great for your fiance to check out the possibilities, see if there''s anything in his field. Some jobs are much easier to get (and lucrative) for example, let''s say construction... if you have papers (from apprentice to full trademan) in Quebec it''s HIGHLY unionized. With the boom in construction, craftsman are easily pulling in about 55 000-60 000a year (EASY). And there''s no french involved here, and this is the REQUIRED pay, no ifs and or buts.The thing about Quebec is many jobs are highly unionized, so the conditions are very good. Many large companies such as bell, hydro quebec, etc., are unionized, so there''s very little room for abuse.

There''s a huge demand for people with B. Com''s too, this is a job that is dominently english speaking. Financial advisors, consultants at banks, usually require a bachelor''s degree and they give you formal training. Here again, they will usually specify, something like "english required, french and asset" and when that''s written, they REALLY mean it.

And of course, if you are here, decide to go back to school, or have children later. School is practically free. For international students, it''s about 24 000-30 000 for the entire UNDERGRAD degree. And for a permenent resident, we''re talking about 12 000-13 000 for the entire degree. In terms of carftsmen trades, these are also very inexpensive and largely government funded. And even if you couldn''t afford the fees, the quebec governement has finanical aide that is available to almost everyone.

So I think as a permenent resident, you have a lot of options open to you if a job is immediately available. Of course, some jobs are much easier then others. What is your fiance field? (if you don''t mind me asking) I could tell you more specifically what the market looks like for that particular job.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
For the past two year he''s been in retail distribution. For about 10 years before that he was in retail managament, but doesn''t want to back to that. He does have a degree in art and has taken some business classes. Unfortunately, he was not the most motivated person when he was a few years younger, in regards to maybe going back to school or striving for better jobs so that he would be a bit more established financially now.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have much to add since ally''s been giving you so much info, but I wanted to say I''m really glad you like Montréal so much! I love it too even though I wasn''t raised on the island.

Good luck!
35.gif

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
How could you NOT love that city? Although my co-worker thinks I''m crazy since it does get pretty cold up there.. I live in New England; I know cold snowy weather. Still, I would like to be adopted!

Ally is so right- there is a certain vibrance that you just can''t put words to.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well, since I didn''t live in the city until now, I know a lot of people who just don''t like living/being in a city; it has more or less to do with Montreal itself.

I love how everything is easily accessible, the culture, and above all, I love that there are beautiful parks everywhere.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
are you a us citizen or canadian citizen?

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I am a U.S. citizen. Born and raised in Boston.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
So, this past weekend I finally asked my fiance how he felt about Montreal; if he could see himself there. He says he loves it, but doesn''t know if he could live there. He''s worried about finding a job, getting his car registered and all that. Last year we had the talk about going to NY and he was open to that, I guess actually leaving the country is too scary for him.

This put a damper on my hopefulness to leave here.

Another note, I tried to find out some info on becoming a licensed MT there and couldn''t find anything. Do I need to go back to school again, do I just take an exam, or just apply for one? I''m trying to gather as much info as I can to see if this is really doable or just a dream. If there are some more great words of advice, I''m open to hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results