Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

To the LIW who haven't bought a stone/ring yet....

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
Are the escalating diamond prices causing any delay with engagement?
Are the prices worsening your LIWitis?
 

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
It has been for me, which is why I've stopped venturing to this side of the PS as much. :(

The size and specs for a diamond I want seems to be costing more & more as time goes on. :blackeye:

I want a stone around 1.7 ct and yrs ago, it seemed in line with the budget SO is looking to spend. We've been dating for 6 yrs (almost 7) and yrs ago, it seemed like no problem. I initially wanted a 2ct, but brought it down to 1.7 for better price and still bigger than a 1.5ct. Now, that size for sure will be more than what he is comfortable with spending-- even 1.5ct. :nono:

My bf has the money, but he is conservative with his money and strict with his budgets when he sets them. I know he can spend the extra money to get what I want, but I will feel guilty knowing it was out of his comfort zone. Ultimately, making me happy matters more to him and he says if he has to spend more, he will----- but, says he'd be MUCH happier saving the extra $$ for a house (& I don't blame him)

For me: I want him to buy NOW. I don't want to think what the prices will be when he is finally ready to buy a stone.
Him: He wants to wait until he is about to propose to buy-- which won't be until after he graduates -- so no earlier than 6 mos.

I'm like :errrr: who knows what the diamond prices may be like then. Buy it now. You have the money.

This has worsened my LIWitis and I now have a few choices:
1. "Settle" for a smaller stone & hope to upgrade later (BF doesn't like upgrades & rather keep the stone he proposes with)
2. Allow the bf to pay more (which will make me feel sooo guilty every time I look at it ).
3. Push back buying a stone of the specs I want for at least a year to see if diamond prices go down. ( I understand they may not)

I've been leaning more towards option #3 which worsens my LIWits even more. :(( I don't want to wait much longer & my family & friends are itching for an engagement. But I feel it may be the only way to get what I want while keeping my SO in his comfort zone. I would be happy to contribute but I don't have the money he does. :/ Plus, he wouldn't take it.
 

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 8, 2011
Messages
880
Hmmm, thorny situation. Why don't you lay out the options to your BF just as you did here? It is sorta a joint process and I'm sure you two would explore all the options for other important purchases - like the house.

Since you mentioned that you originally wanted a 2ct diamond and he's adverse to upgrades, I'd like to throw out another option. You may want to compare how much you want the 2ct diamond versus how much you'd like a diamond for an engagement ring. If you find you really want a 2ct diamond more than you need a diamond for an engagement ring, you could suggest either foregoing the engagement ring at first and getting the 2ct after you're married and have enough money or getting a diamond alternative (colored gemstone, etc) for the engagement ring and saving up for the 2ct later as a RHR.

Good luck in whatever you come up with.
 

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
AmeliaG|1309722700|2961214 said:
Hmmm, thorny situation. Why don't you lay out the options to your BF just as you did here? It is sorta a joint process and I'm sure you two would explore all the options for other important purchases - like the house.

Since you mentioned that you originally wanted a 2ct diamond and he's adverse to upgrades, I'd like to throw out another option. You may want to compare how much you want the 2ct diamond versus how much you'd like a diamond for an engagement ring. If you find you really want a 2ct diamond more than you need a diamond for an engagement ring, you could suggest either foregoing the engagement ring at first and getting the 2ct after you're married and have enough money or getting a diamond alternative (colored gemstone, etc) for the engagement ring and saving up for the 2ct later as a RHR.

Good luck in whatever you come up with.
Thanks Amelia G. At one point, I suggested plopping a CZ down and buying the stone I wanted later. BF is adamantly against it. lol. Only a diamond.

What I really want now is anything btwn 1.5 to 2ct. Ideally, 1.7ct-- that would be perfect!



Any other LIW worried about the rising diamond prices?
 

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
1,720
We're buying in the next couple weeks (this was decided last night). Fears about future price changes is definitely a factor. I am not as worried that we're buying "high" since emeralds haven't increased at the same dizzying rate-- but I am not prepared to sit around waiting for them to, and he left the choice up to me.
 

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
547
I'm thinking along the same lines as you MissStepCut. I just read your thread which is along the same topic. lol.
So lucky emerald cuts haven't gone up as much as RB's!
 

JaymeC

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
54
I am so with you guys on this. I think it will likely be a year until my Mr is ready to purchase my stone. I would ideally like a 2 ct RB, but would settle for 1.7. I think that my Mr will be likely to buy me what I truly want, but I am afraid that the ever rising prices will push my ideal stone price into the stratosphere and further into the future. part of me thinks that I should compromise what I truly want, and another part of me says that both my hand in marriage and the ideal (to me) stone are worth the wait. The fact that prices are rising does make my LIWitis severely more pronounced. I might be going crazy!
 

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
292
Yes!!! I'm feeling very antsy as I watch the diamond prices skyrocket. I'm hoping for a summer proposal. He knows the setting I want and who to contact to get it so I'm leaving it all up to him (along with the vendor) to choose the stone. I'm just hoping that he makes the purchase before another price jump, and before our anniversary *fingers crossed*

Are the escalating diamond prices causing any delay with engagement?
No, I think the rising prices are actually going to speed up an engagement.

Are the prices worsening your LIWitis?
YES! I don't want to see him pay even more and I'm hoping that he's been in contact with the vendor to lock down a diamond before the prices jump yet again.
 

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
944
It has absolutely affected us. Originally, BF and I were looking at a $5000-$5500 budget. We were hoping to get an ideal cut (not necessarily branded) RB around 1-1.25 carats. Now because of the price increase, that kind of money will not buy you that size in an ideal cut, even in a low color and clarity. :( It stinks because we had gone to look at stones and I felt like a 1.1-1.2 carat RB was the perfect size for my hand. It was big enough that I knew it would hold off DSS for a while, but not so big that it felt out of place.

Since we have been helping out his brother's FI financially, and because we are looking to buy a house, we have also decreased our budget. So, that means that I will get a much smaller stone. I'm hoping that the rise in prices will help to speed up engagement. But, I don't think BF realizes how bad it is. BF doesn't know if he is ready to celebrate being engaged since everything happened with his brother so recently. I want him to buy now so that we can get the biggest diamond possible. But, I don't want to push him in to engagement before he is ready. I don't think he would be into the idea of holding onto the ring until he is ready.

Does anyone know when the next increase is expected?
 

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
248
Oh man this question hits hard. I've told my boyfriend the type of setting that I like and gave a list of stones that I would like (Asscher, RB, Cushion) and gave him free reign on anything else. We have been dating for 7 years and of all things NOW we start seriously talking about rings and everything hits the roof. Ironic I guess because nothing we do is easy, haha. I am still unsure of his savings at the moment so I have no idea when the purchase will occur. I tried explaining to him casually in conversation that the prices shot up but I don't think he quite understands and he knows NOTHING about diamonds. I've given him hypothetical situations to gauge his reactions and determined that he's not interested in me chipping in, helping him pick anything, or proposing without a ring. I mean hell, we pretty much have a destination wedding time frame already for next November so it's not like I'm rushing him; it's him and his finances. My main issue is that this is one expensive purchase and I feel so guilty that he has to pay more money. I need to just relax and accept that this is the way things are and he'll do whatever he wants. I can only hope for a decent end result, haha!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top