shape
carat
color
clarity

To take jewelry on vacation, that is the question...

Take jewelry on vacation? Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I am going to Hawaii this August, and my husband and mother are urging me to leave my jewelry at home. I know that Hawaii is having some problems with Meth, and there is a lot of crime in tourist areas (because of the abundance of opportunity). My question is: would you take your jewelry on vacation with you, even if you knew you were most likely just going to store it in a safe for the majority of the time? Should I take mine?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably take only what I would wear all the time. I would hate to not have any good jewelry on a trip like that. I mean, I wore jewelry to NYC, so I am not sure why you can't wear it to Hawaii!

(PS....you might want to message the admin and get this moved to Hangout!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1341490115|3228846 said:
I am going to Hawaii this August, and my husband and mother are urging me to leave my jewelry at home. I know that Hawaii is having some problems with Meth, and there is a lot of crime in tourist areas (because of the abundance of opportunity). My question is: would you take your jewelry on vacation with you, even if you knew you were most likely just going to store it in a safe for the majority of the time? Should I take mine?
I don't wear much anyway so the most I would probably take is my wedding set. BUT when we went on our honeymoon seven years ago I wore a fake.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
We go to Hawaii a few times a year and I always wear my wedding set, earrings, bezel oec necklace and large eternity band on my right hand. I've never had any problems, I've always felt very safe there. What part are you going to?

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't worry about Hawaii too much but i agree with pp that you should bring only what you will wear all the time. There are other places I wouldn't bring the real stuff, like Mexico for example, but as long as you are vigilant you shouldn't have any trouble. Have fun in Hawaii!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the other posts. When I go on vacation, I usually just wear my wedding set and my diamond studs and leave them on all the time. And if I want to wear other pieces I'll bring some cheapy costume jewelry.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take my jewelry with me and when in the sand or chlorine I leave it in the safe in the room. I've never had a problem and it's all insured if the worst should happen. It can always be stolen at home while you're away too and besides, I enjoy wearing my jewelry on trips!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1341498926|3228899 said:
I take my jewelry with me and when in the sand or chlorine I leave it in the safe in the room. I've never had a problem and it's all insured if the worst should happen. It can always be stolen at home while you're away too and besides, I enjoy wearing my jewelry on trips!

yup. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my trip to Hawaii if my wedding set was at home. So I bring what I wear daily. In Italy I wore my wedding set in the bay/sea/pool and i was careful to not fully submerge my hand- or to keep it in a fist while submereged.. and I cleaned it as soon as I got back into the room. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the trip is to a sketchy place, I'd be nervous about anything on my person being taken, but if its to a relatively safe area, I'd rather have my lovely things with me. They were purchased to be enjoyed and I'd miss them when I wasn't with them!

I'd bring along my wedding set, a RHR and a pair of studs. For Hawaii, you could always bring along a few fun costume necklaces to change things up a bit.

Enjoy your trip!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1341499909|3228910 said:
MissGotRocks|1341498926|3228899 said:

yup. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my trip to Hawaii if my wedding set was at home. So I bring what I wear daily. In Italy I wore my wedding set in the bay/sea/pool and i was careful to not fully submerge my hand- or to keep it in a fist while submereged.. and I cleaned it as soon as I got back into the room. :)

Thirded. I took my ering on a cruise. I would have been more worried about it at home alone :errrr: than with me. I didn't wear it the whole time, so when I didn't I left it in the lock box in our room.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would only bring my every day stuff. Especially since you will be at the beach some of the time so I might not even bring that.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only consider NOT bringing my wedding rings out outside of North America and Europe, depending - like when I went to Egypt.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I normally wear my stuff wherever I go (meaning anywhere in the US, Western Europe, and Oz). But this year I am going to Spain and I am not taking it with me. I only bring it if I can wear it all the time, and since I am going to Tomatina, no way am I going to wear my jewelry while flinging tomatoes.

My RHR is blingy, so I just exercise caution depending where I am going. My wedding set is less so.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd wear my set to Hawaii.

I wore my wedding set when we went to St. John for our honeymoon. We stayed at one resort the entire ten days we were there, and we weren't exactly doing much beyond snorkeling, lounging with drinks in our hands, and eating. I was really comfortable with my set there.

I wear a fake set when we go to Europe in the summer. It's not because I feel unsafe, but more because we tend to spend two to four nights in one place and then move on to another, so if heaven forbid I forgot my rings anywhere, they'd be long gone by the time I figured it out. (I don't sleep in my rings, so I take them off every night.) I buy a fake set and wear that, instead.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When we went to Hawaii, I was either in the sand, the water, or hiking, which makes me sweat and swell. So I find jewelry + vacations to be a bit of a pain. I usually wear a simple band or no ring at all while on vacation. But I don't wear my set all that often at home, either.

So I'd probably leave it home, but for reasons other than its safety.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
asscher_girl|1341494558|3228871 said:
We go to Hawaii a few times a year and I always wear my wedding set, earrings, bezel oec necklace and large eternity band on my right hand. I've never had any problems, I've always felt very safe there. What part are you going to?

We are going to Kauai. I've been to many of the islands before, including Kauai, and never had a problem. (Although, I have a lot more nice jewelry now...) I think I will wear just my wedding set, and forgo the right hand set. That way its not too flashy, but I can still have my most sentimental pieces with me at all times. The only time I wont have it is when we go snorkeling/ swimming. I truly hate to leave my right hand set behind though, I love it so!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1341508823|3228989 said:
I normally wear my stuff wherever I go (meaning anywhere in the US, Western Europe, and Oz). But this year I am going to Spain and I am not taking it with me. I only bring it if I can wear it all the time, and since I am going to Tomatina, no way am I going to wear my jewelry while flinging tomatoes.

My RHR is blingy, so I just exercise caution depending where I am going. My wedding set is less so.

This sounds like so much fun!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1341511665|3229006 said:
I'd wear my set to Hawaii.

I wore my wedding set when we went to St. John for our honeymoon. We stayed at one resort the entire ten days we were there, and we weren't exactly doing much beyond snorkeling, lounging with drinks in our hands, and eating. I was really comfortable with my set there.

I wear a fake set when we go to Europe in the summer. It's not because I feel unsafe, but more because we tend to spend two to four nights in one place and then move on to another, so if heaven forbid I forgot my rings anywhere, they'd be long gone by the time I figured it out. (I don't sleep in my rings, so I take them off every night.) I buy a fake set and wear that, instead.

Were you concerned about having the rings slip off your fingers when swimming? I don't know if I could wear mine in the water...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I never wore my rings in the water! I would have been so paranoid about losing them that it would have ruined every moment. I left the rings in our room when we went in the water, hidden in my super secret spot. :cheeky:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost a diamond earring in the ocean once and that was the end of wearing my jewelery on vacation. Now I wear cheap replica stuff or none at all.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd take my wedding set with me and just wear inexpensive studs and leave the rest at home. (I don't wear much jewelry though, and when I travel, I try not to pack too much.) If you feel unsafe wearing your wedding set, you could always leave it in the hotel safe when you'll be out and about or at the beach.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have gone to Hawaii half a dozen times and don't take mine except for a band. I am usually in the water and my ring is a bit loose so that is why I don't do it. do what you are comfortable doing in the water if you plan to do that sort of thing

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm just back from two weeks in Paris, and I brought my smaller wedding set (.6 ct diamond solitaire), and the rest of my pieces I limited to what cost me less than $300. I still had quite a few changes of jewelry and had a great time.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I always take mine, that is why I pay for insurance.

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When I travel my jewelry always goes into my safe at the store. It's not about insurance, just peace of mind and I want to have fun on vacation, not worry about if someone is going to knock me out or something. I don't trust lock boxes. I couldn't get one open one time and they sent up security and they opened it no problem.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiamondBrokersofFlorida said:
When I travel my jewelry always goes into my safe at the store. It's not about insurance, just peace of mind and I want to have fun on vacation, not worry about if someone is going to knock me out or something. I don't trust lock boxes. I couldn't get one open one time and they sent up security and they opened it no problem.

This! Staff has to know how to get it open if they really were motivated to... That's why I feel better having it on me at all times- or since hubby has a weird aversion to swimming in public pools I leave it with him while I'm in the pool, or don't go all the way under while swimming.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I feel strange not wearing my wedding set so I almost always travel with them. There were times when I felt unsafe, I just turned it so the stone is hidden under the finger.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i voted "no".

nothing says tourist or out-of-towner more than wearing jewelry that doesn't blend in with the locals. even in Australia.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1341675022|3230101 said:
i voted "no".

nothing says tourist or out-of-towner more than wearing jewelry that doesn't blend in with the locals. even in Australia.

This is true, but I had to laugh... Nothing says "tourist" in Hawaii more than me and DH's pasty white skin glowing in the shade under spf 70!!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results