shape
carat
color
clarity

To Tacori, or not to Tacori

jp6176

Rough_Rock
Hey There, Everyone- my first post on the site! Hoping you all may have some input on my above issue...

Boyfriend has a cousin who is a manager at one of the "big box" jewelry stores. Of course, they do not carry Tacori... She is able to get a very nice ring, appraised for $14k, 1.5 center (round w/ halo) with .50 in the 18k white gold setting for between $3k and $4k. However, I've wanted a Tacori since I was 12 and seeing all of their ads in the magazines (that I probably wasn't allowed to be reading at that age, jeeze!) The ring is Tacori-esque, but certainly not comparable. This ring is available in mass quantities, and is "cast," whereas the Tacori's are all hand-made and the designs are patented.

The prices for Tacori's are not budging, unfortunately. We're in the NY, NJ, PA area, btw. I've been obsessed with the Tacori 2623 RD SMP FOREVER. The only problem- bf wants to spend between $3000-$3500 total... We may be able to get the setting down to this, with no center stone, of course. I've said multiple times that I'll be happy with my setting and we can keep the center "stone" (cz) in there for a few months and get the diamond together. However, he thinks that I'll be disappointed without a diamond and is worried about what others would think (not that they would even know!) I think this is a perfect option to get the setting that I've always wanted.... What are the arguments for/against my idea? From a jewelers perspective, as well?

Thanks, everyone!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
If I were in your shoes I would ask for a plain solitaire (NOT a knock-off of what you really want, which isn't really fair to you or the designer of the piece that makes your heart pitter patter) with the agreement that you'll upgrade the setting for your 5 year anniversary/30th birthday/push present/whatever.

Edit: I always admired those ads too, but tried some on last week... dang, all that fine metalwork hurt my fingers! I assume you've already tried the real deal on, but if you haven't, go check. I also recently fell out of love with the Tiffany ring I thought I loved by trying it on.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Your approach is quite novel but I think it can work. Honestly, if I'd had my heart set on a Tacori setting since I was 12 and was willing to settle for a CZ, having to accept a plain solitaire just to get a real diamond wouldn't cut it for me. It wouldn't reflect MY priorities.

That having been said, there are some issues with buying the setting first and then the diamond. Once you buy the setting, you're very constrained with the diamond size you later get. You can't go up or down so the size and shape of the CZ you initially get will have to be the size and shape of the diamond. There may be other considerations that I'm not aware of so you should talk to your jeweler.

Also what suchende said about Tacoris looking different on your hand is quite true so I would try a lot of Tacoris on first with and without wedding bands just to make sure that this is the setting you want.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have a Tacori, purchased from a 'boutique' jeweler, not a big box franchised store. So, I can't speak to any problems anyone else may have had with a seller or with Tacori, because my experience has been entirely positive.

I love my Tacori. It gets tons of compliments. And as settings go, it didn't seem extremely expensive at $2800 in 2006 (for platninum). It has been worn every day for 5 years, and is in near mint condition. No issues with tiny stones falling out, no issues with prongs, not a single problem.

If I really HAD TO HAVE a Tacori, as opposed to any other setting - - as you do - - I would start setting aside money into a fund to buy a Tacori setting. In the meantime, I would spend the big bucks the BF has budgeted for a really great stone. Think how wonderful a great stone will look in your 'perfect' setting. Put a terrific stone in a temporary, inexpensive setting, and make your dreams come true a little bit later.

But, get yourself to a great jeweler who carries Tacori, talk to them about what you would like to do. Get some solid pricing, and you might be surprised at what you really CAN afford.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with the others who suggested getting the stone first in a simple setting and then saving for your Tacori setting. The price of diamonds is rising like crazy right now, and I would be afraid to wait much longer before the prices rise even more. As for settings, I'm sure that the price may increase a little, but not nearly as much as the actual diamond. If you get your dream setting with a CZ centre, although you say you'll be cool with that, think about a few months down the road when the initial excitement wears off. Will you still be happy with the CZ centre? Will you feel like you pressured your SO into something he didn't agree with? Will your SO feel like he's cheap or somehow isn't good enough? I know for myself that I would start to have some of those feelings/thoughts. Although it would be great to have the setting of your dream, nothing glitters as beautifully as a real diamond. ;))

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I personally have a Tacori and I love it. I would definitely go see this ring in person because sometimes the zoomed in photos on the site aren't exactly how the look in real life.

We went to a jewelers (in livingston) and got the ring there---we got the center stone through them and so they gave us a nice price on the setting. I can give you the name if you want.

My experience buying a Tacori has been very positive. I have never ever had any issues with my ring. No stones falling out, no metal bending, absolutely nothing.

My ring never ever hurt my fingers.

I would save up for your perfect setting and go with the solitare for now.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
suchende|1307977694|2944725 said:
If I were in your shoes I would ask for a plain solitaire (NOT a knock-off of what you really want, which isn't really fair to you or the designer of the piece that makes your heart pitter patter) with the agreement that you'll upgrade the setting for your 5 year anniversary/30th birthday/push present/whatever.

Edit: I always admired those ads too, but tried some on last week... dang, all that fine metalwork hurt my fingers! I assume you've already tried the real deal on, but if you haven't, go check. I also recently fell out of love with the Tiffany ring I thought I loved by trying it on.
This is my exact suggestion. Buying a diamond to fits setting us not easy to do, you really should get the stone first and then the setting.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Go and try on the ring first, would be my first advice. Sometimes something looks great, and you have your heart set on it, but than afterwards when you try it on, you might now Love it. I had that happen with me, wanted a Pave setting with a oval center. When i tried it on, i hated it. (not that, that will happen for you), my SO ended up doing my ring, custom made, 2 pieces( ill get a thin WB to match)and let me tell you, I LOVE IT. It would have even been something i would have thought to get, but he knew me, and knew much better. Also, as silly as this sounds, put it in your BF's hands, he might come up with something you might actually love better, than the Tacori. Also, you might want to tell him, you would be happy with a CZ, but as someone mentioned before, you will have to get a diamond that is excatly the same, to be put in its place, so if you go with a cz, dont get a 2ct., if you might not be able to get a 2ct. diamond. Good luck and let us know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results