shape
carat
color
clarity

To owners/wearers of MMD... (poll)

To those who own MMD and participate in Pricescope, how do you categorize/think of MMD?

• Fine jewelry

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Semi/Demi-Fine jewelry

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Fashion jewelry

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Depends on the metal used in the setting

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other/will explain in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
For me, any thing in 18K or 24K and it's fine jewelry. Take example lapis lazuli which range from $1-$150 per carat. But put that in 18k gold egg pendant from Tiffany and suddenly it's fine jewelry.

That’s a great point! For me that also illustrates how designer/maker/brand/exclusivity plays a role in our perception of “fine” vs “fashion.”

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Could you pin point why they feel semi-fine? Cost? Provenance? Quality of cut?

I am turning over these same considerations, trying to figure out where I land.

This ia a good question. It's a hippyish dilemma: I love natural crystals but appreciate the earth-friendliness of lab stones. My earth-mined stones and semiprecious beads feel like friends but I can't imagine feeling that way about a lab stone.. I expect that more pragmatic PSers aren't swayed by emotional nonsense like this.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
This ia a good question. It's a hippyish dilemma: I love natural crystals but appreciate the earth-friendliness of lab stones. My earth-mined stones and semiprecious beads feel like friends but I can't imagine feeling that way about a lab stone.. I expect that more pragmatic PSers aren't swayed by emotional nonsense like this.

I love this! My thinking is similar: There is a distinction in my mind for my own jewelry that’s related to sentimentality. I know many PS-ers aren’t sentimental at all!

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
It’s interesting that the line between fine and fashion stated here is often the metal. For those who draw the line at the type of metal, are all Tiffany sterling jewelry fashion pieces, even if they are timeless and not trendy designs, there are yellow gold versions of the same designs, cost thousands of dollars and have natural diamonds?

If Tiffany one day made the same items with lab diamonds (probably not in my lifetime) would that then be fashion jewelry?

elsa-perettidiamonds-by-the-yard-drop-earrings-30749405_910575_ED.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s interesting that the line between fine and fashion stated here is often the metal. For those who draw the line at the type of metal, are all Tiffany sterling jewelry fashion pieces, even if they are timeless and not trendy designs, there are yellow gold versions of the same designs, cost thousands of dollars and have natural diamonds?

If Tiffany one day made the same items with lab diamonds (probably not in my lifetime) would that then be fashion jewelry?

For me it is about both the stone and the metal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to go by metal for the most part, but now that I think about it, I’d say quality and craftsmanship would be the deciding factors, followed by timelessness vs more trendy pieces.

I think it’s the complete picture vs one determining factor.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s the complete picture vs one determining factor.

I agree that it’s a whole picture thing.

Also that middle semi/demi fine category is a big one for me. I think I probably do consider sterling silver jewelry, even from Tiffany’s, to be semi-fine.

Edit: maybe on the poll I should have included an option for “depends on the designer”

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider all sterling silver fashion jewelry. Even Tiffany.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock

Hm. Interesting question. I consider Tiffany sterling silver jewelry to be fine fashion jewelry if that makes sense. Beautiful Craftsmanship in their own right

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Craftsmanship in their own right

I think MMDs can be anywhere between fashion jewelry, demi, to fine based on the longevity and care of how they are set and the rest of the jewelry piece. Some of the settings I've seen for studs look like they would break/be lost in approximately .5 seconds in my hands, so I hesitate to consider that fine jewelry, but I would gladly pick a MMD as a forever engagement ring as long as the setting had excellent craftmanship.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for semi/demi-fine jewellery, as I opted for 10K WG instead of higher gold content for the two pairs of earrings that I have purchased so far to keep the cost down.

DK :))

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I consider my MMD earrings fine jewelry, as I cannot imagine a situation where I would not consider high quality diamonds (regardless of origin) and platinum anything but.

Anything set in silver or other non-precious metals (including 10k gold because it is less than half precious metal content) automatically feels semi-fine or lower, even more so if the stone quality is low.

Someone mentioned Lightbox marketing lab grown as semi-fine or fashion jewelry as a way to undermine the rest of the industry so people associated them with more "just for fun" purchases, but since I do view diamonds as a luxury purchase, that turned me off from considering them (along with my desire to have ideal cut, certified diamonds).

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think fine quality diamonds, regardless, if it is mmd or earth mined, is considered fine jewelry when it is featured 18k, 20k, 22k, 24k or platinum. as long as fine quality diamonds are set into fine precious noble metal, to me it is fine jewelery. that is where i make the distinction, for myself.

i recognize and acknowledge, that some would also include 14k. personally, respectfully, i do not.

sterling silver, regardless of brand, i consider to be higher end, fashion jewelry.

i did not participate and contribute to this thread earlier because the title clearly states that it is reserved for "mmd owners/wearers". yet, i can see, non mmd owners and wearers posting.

so im hoping i may also offer my opinion

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
i think fine quality diamonds, regardless, if it is mmd or earth mined, is considered fine jewelry when it is featured 18k, 20k, 22k, 24k or platinum. as long as fine quality diamonds are set into fine precious noble metal, to me it is fine jewelery. that is where i make the distinction, for myself.

i recognize and acknowledge, that some would also include 14k. personally, respectfully, i do not.

sterling silver, regardless of brand, i consider to be higher end, fashion jewelry.

i did not participate and contribute to this thread earlier because the title clearly states that it is reserved for "mmd owners/wearers". yet, i can see, non mmd owners and wearers posting.

so im hoping i may also offer my opinion

I appreciate you sharing your perspective!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results