shape
carat
color
clarity

To engrave his watch or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls - as you saw in my previous post, I am now sitting waiting anxiously for my setting from Signed Pieces to arrive so that we can get it checked out and then set our 1.12 ct G SI1 diamond in it (which means I can concentrate on nothing...which is definitely not a good situation). As I also mentioned, the bf picked out a watch for his engagement present and it is currently residing in a secret location in the apartment, to be given when I get the ring. Now, I had planned to get it engraved with something, although I hadn''t decided what yet, when he mentions over dinner last night that it would be nice to get it engraved. Trying not to show that I had already thought of this idea, I asked him what he would want it engraved with, and he said he thought the engagement date would be nice. I pointed out to him that since he is planning the proposal I don''t know what that date is, at which point he said that he supposed we could take it in afterwards to get it engraved but he wasn''t sure he would want to be without it for long enough to engrave it. So, the dilemma is this - should I get something engraved and leave room for the date, or just not get it engraved at all? I''m really disappointed that he ruined my surprise, and if you girls have any suggestions about other ways to surprise I would really appreciate them. (Any suggestions for how to concentrate on the real world when my brain is in ring-land would be good too, but I think it may just be hopeless and I will spend the next week and a half looking at PS forums and the Knot 24/7...
9.gif
)

Thanks!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Amber! That''s a hard call. I would start with both of your names and leave space for the actual date. It sounds wonderful. I hope that you get your sparkly ring soon!

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
You could have your face(s?) engraved on it? THAT would be surprising, er shocking! Ok, I''m just kidding. BUT, I did see that in a jewelry store in Chicago and have to admit that it was a tad odd. Please don''t be offended anyone who has done that!!!
11.gif
I can definitely see the sentiment behind it...?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
How about, ''Nobody Puts Baby In the Corner"

ask GingerBCookie first, she may not want to share it
2.gif

If it were me, I would put "To my Oni" (honey) Love Always

That way it could have been engraved before ''he'' suggested it.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
that rat! spoiling your surprise!!!!
3.gif

I would look for a short quote, phrase (even if it is something silly) or even a graphic design that he wouldn''t expect and then add the date later. I know that a jeweler I spoke to said he could engrave a small plate that covers the back of the Tag watch I want to get my bf with this Edgar Allen Poe quote: we loved with a love that was more than love (bf is a horror writer!)
but I''ve decided to save that for his titanium wedding band & to instead get the watch engraved with "To My Puppety-Oddball" (a Mr. Show reference) only he would appreciate that!!!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
You could have a phrase engraved that would work well preceeding a date, like:
"From this moment on..."
or
"Time stood still..."
or
"My answer is YES!!!"
9.gif

or
"Our special moment..."

And leave room for the date to be engraved later.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls - very good ideas everyone. Thanks for feeding my obsession with ring- and engagement-land...Totals this morning:
time spent working: 1 hour
12.gif

time spent in transit and eating breakfast: 45 minutes
time spent on PS: 1.5 hours
11.gif

hmm....

Erin - if the watch were being given to my best friend that would be perfect - she used to come over to my house in high school almost every weekend and I swear we watched that movie 100 times! Maybe I will get her something with that on it for a BM present when the time comes...and I will be sure to ask ginger''s permission first
2.gif

Fountainfairfax: I wish I was original and creative to come up with some kind of meaningful special quote that only the two of us would "get." Unfortunately, I''ve never been good at that...And yes, I was very annoyed that he ruined MY suprise
6.gif

Buena Girl: I''m glad you thought of the "YES" thing - I was actually thinking of something like that. I was trying to decide between just "YES" (maybe too ambiguous), or "YES I want to marry you" but I think I might like your version better...

So what do you guys think of this:
1st line: "My answer is YES"
2nd line: "His name+my name"
3rd line: blank, to have date filled in later (but hopefully not too much later!!)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
put something like"I will love you until the end of time" and then maybe put his nickname and your nickname, if y''all have pet names for each other.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 1
6.gif
8:11 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

So what do you guys think of this:
1st line: ''My answer is YES''
2nd line: ''His name+my name''
3rd line: blank, to have date filled in later (but hopefully not too much later!!)
I LOVE it!!! But then again I''m probably a little biased
9.gif

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I would do both sets of initials. Later you could add your engagement date or wedding date.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Just thought I would share that I gave my fiance a watch and had wanted to engrave it beforehand, but I wanted to give him the option to exchange it if it wasn''t exactly what he wanted. Well, it was, but now I can''t pry the thing off his wrist to get it engraved!! Argh! So I guess for now it will remain unengraved
20.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get his watch engraved?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey Buena - after all that, it was kind of anticlimactic - I took it to get engraved only to notice (silly me for not checking earlier) that it had a bunch of stuff on the back already which didn''t leave much room. So I just got "J+R" (our initials) and I think there might be room for the date if he wants. I also got him a sapphire stud to wear (he has one ear pierced) for special occasions, and I am going to get him a certificate for this really fancy coffee that I know he loves, so hopefully that will make him feel like he got something nice out of the deal
2.gif

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
1st line: "My answer is YES"
2nd line: "His name+my name"

"My answer is YES" is adorable! Love it.

Edited to add - oops should have read the last post. The initials is great too. My grandparents left me something with their initials and it means a lot to me. You can save "the answer is yes" for something else...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results