shape
carat
color
clarity

To Bouquet or NOT to Bouquet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
Ok, ladies, here's one of those questions that I need to ask other girls. FI is not good with this one! :)

FI and I are having our "weddingmoon" next summer. Basically, we are doing a planned elopement to Fiji for our wedding ceremony. The biggest reasons for this were the following: neither of us particularly likes being the center of attention, we wanted the ceremony to be extremely intimate and just us, I have a bit of a strained relationship with my mom and I wanted to avoid unnecessary drama with her, and finally we really wanted to be able to take an amazing honeymoon and this allowed for that.

However, we do have a small group (around 50) of friends and family who wanted to be involved in the festivities, so we are doing an at home celebratory dinner 10 days after we return from Fiji. We are hosting the dinner at a nicer, fun restaurant in downtown Chicago. We will be borrowing some traditional wedding elements- we'll be having a sit down dinner, open bar, wedding cake and a photographer. However, we're also doing a mojito class instead of a dj and going out on the town after to celebrate with more drinks and some music/dancing.

The pictures were always important to me so we've booked an amazing photographer for 4 hours- 2 hours of urban city "photoshoot" for FI and I; the kind of quality of photographs that we won't have in Fiji- fun, artistic, beautiful and the exact opposite landscape of Fiji., 2 hours of the reception. What I can't decide is should I get a bouquet?

Our cake needs some phaelaenopsis orchids. We can have handmade sugar orchids done by our baker for $100. I contacted a florist that is recommended by some girls on the knot and she's got some really great ideas. I figured I might be able to get the orchids plus a very small bouquet for around $100...obviously I had no clue how much the orchids cost! Anyhow, she just quoted me $80-100 for the cake orchids, $125-150 for the bouquet, plus $13 for a bout for FI. Here's her description:

"Your Bouquet: Full & bright (roundish shape with slight dangle, hand-tied with cool handle wrap technique) bouquet with shades of purple, magenta, yellow and orange to go with Carnivale's bright decor. Flowers including base of purple hydrangea, different types of orchids including mini cymbidium orchids, Phalaenopsis orchids, mokara orchids, violet purple Vanda orchids, oncidium orchids, and also possibly roses/sweetheart roses, lisianthus, freesia, and stock, etc. Price range for bouquet: $125-$150 depending on flowers used. This will be unforgettable, full, showy, textural, and just AWESOME."

FI thinks a bouquet is absolutely silly. Part of me agrees; these won't be the flowers we'll be using in the wedding ceremony, but I do wonder if the Chicago pictures would look better with the pop of color. I think $150 is way more than I was hoping to spend (I really just wanted a smallllllll bouquet) but I am a little nervous that if I tell her I want to stay around $150 total, she won't want to work with me when she could easily take someone else. She's talking about doing lots of different types of orchids, which I know are causing the high price. I just feel silly- our "simple" reception dinner seems to be growing bit by bit. Am I silly to kind of want flowers? Do you think pictures will look better with a bridal bouquet or is it a waste of money? I need your honest opinions here! I feel like I'm being a little crazy about this...

I'm going to see if I can attach the Inspiration Board so you can get an idea of what we're looking at. Thanks in advance!

Carnivale-Weddingps.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I can tell you that bouquets like that are pricey in big cities. I spent about your quote for a smallish bouquet similar to the ones you posted with some, but not all, of the flowers being orchids.

I think you should have one if you want one but that being said I think that if you aren''t willing to spend the $ you probably don''t want one enough, KWIM? If it''s important you should make it happen even if it means talking to a different florist.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I had a weddingmoon in Maui, and did have a bouquet, but it was included in the overall cost of the package, so I'm not sure how much it broke down to individually. That said I seem to remember them having an a la carte menu, and that the prices were similar to your quote (they were also orchids). Honestly, I didn't do a darn thing with it other than hold it in maybe 20 shots. It died a lonely death in our hotel room. I do like the pictures in which the bouquet is seen though... Up to you. I'm not sure what your budget it is, but if you could get one for about $100, I would, because it does make for a good prop in photos. My DH did not have a boutonniere. He said "no way", and I could have cared less lol.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you want the bouquet, you should go for it and not shy away from talking to your florist about going a bit cheaper, if that''s your wish. I say that from my experience: our florist told us right off the bat, that if we wanted to change something as far as style, price, fullness, etc. that she would work with our budget. We do have a sizable floral budget (my bouquet will cost $170), but I still think that if you''re not comfortable paying the price quoted, that you should speak up and just see what the florist says.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how much it means to you - if it means that much get it if not don''t bother - the flowers sound pretty if it were me I would do the bouquet just for fun :)

dani2142

Shiny_Rock

I am having a weddingmoon in Jamaica in February and had a silk bouquet made back in March. I think you should do it :0) but it''s totally up to you of course! Here is my bouquet! :)

danielleluvsherbouquet.jpg

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
You're not being silly at all for wanting a bouquet! Since you're paying for a photographer, I do think you'll be even more pleased with your pictures if you have a bouquet. Just be very clear about what size you want - you said you want very small and she quoted you for a full bouquet. Also, don't be afraid to communicate your budget to her. She will likely be taking on many projects, both large and small, on the same day as your celebration, so don't worry about her dropping you. Talk to a different florist if this one can't work within your needs and budget.

I'm attaching some pics from my wedding because we had 3 different size bouquets, all in very different price ranges. My bouquet (cymbidium orchids, peonies, and roses) was $175 and I thought it was huge. All of the other bouquets were just peonies and green cymbidium orchids, no filler. The mothers bouquets were only $50 each - they were small but still a very nice splash of color and the moms loved them. The bridesmaid bouquets (a nice medium size) were $100. [ETA - sorry the pic on the left is so grainy].

inannasbouquets1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results