shape
carat
color
clarity

To Amsale or not to that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee

Rough_Rock
I have a dilemma... There are two gowns that I love; however one that I am totally head over heels with. I love the Amsale Serena; however I really like another gown by Joli Bridal (see below). The picture of the Joli dress does not do it justice because it really is beautiful and the fabric is lovely too.

The problem is I could buy 4 Joli gowns for the price of one Amsale. What to do??? Basically, it comes down to price. Like I said, both are beautiful on and the fit is great for both; however I''m perplexed. What would you do???

By the way, my wedding is in July 2010 and I''m also wondering if I should wait a little bit or if I should be finalizing my decisions soon. Help ladies!!!

Amsale Serena
http://www.amsale.com/bridal/amsalecollection/081226/serena.shtml

Joli Bridal (style 4067)
http://www.jolibridal.com/pages/collection.html

Busy Bee
18.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I like them both!! Do you have pictures of them on you? That would help us a lot!!
2.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
The Amsale one is pretty special! I think your post answers your own question. If you can, go for it! I ditto the pics of you in it though, it''s hard to tell otherwise.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, the amsale is TDF...stunning. Since you have time, I wonder if you could find it second hand or discounted? A friend of mine just bout a Vera Wang at 80% off at a Saks sale.

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
AMSALE!!!!!!!!!!

It is worth every penny!!!! I''m wearing Amsale (i did get a heck of a deal). Maybe wait to see if you can find a sample or trunk show so you can get a discount.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on the Amsale. I am sure you could find a deal on the dress before your wedding
36.gif

Good Luck

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
I think I actually like the cut of the Joli better- I'm drawn to the slimmer skirt. The Joli just looks more sophisticated, whereas the high waist and big skirt on the Amsale is "cute", if that makes any sense.

Does one go with your venue and/or feel of your wedding better?

In terms of the money, is there something else special that you could get with the money you save on the Joli gown (i.e. an upgraded honeymoon, savings towards a new car) that your and your FI will both enjoy (and for more than one day)? Did you have an original budget for your wedding gown? Is the Amsale over that?

And, just so it's easier for others to see the Joli (instead of searching through the collection), here's the picture of it on the model.

bee jolie.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I hate to be an enabler, but . . . The Joli dress is pretty, but the Amsale dress is breathtaking! I can see why you are in love with it. That said, I would suggest you wait. Mainly so you can see if it is possible to find a better price. The top designers set the trends, so you might find a cheaper line mimicking the Amsale style in the next season.

They are different shapes, too, so I would want to see you in them to make the final call as to which one is really better for you. The Amsale dress is so gorgeous that it might be hard to stop seeing the dress and evaluate how it looks on you versus just how it looks (does this make sense). But, looking at it, I would imagine it would make anyone look amazing.

bee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ladies!!! I don''t have pictures of me in the Joli; however I will try to post pictures of me in the Amsale gown tomorrow. Of course the Amsale is over budget; however it seems to be a bit more whimsical and less "everyday" or ordinary. The idea of purchasing a more fabulous honeymoon, computer, or a new television with the money that would be spent on the Amsale is tempting.

The issue is-- both are extremely different shapes but that''s what I love about them. The wedding will be in the summer heat in Atlanta on July 2, 2010. The ceremony will be outside in the evening(6:30 pm) and reception to follow in a restaurant. My location is www.villachristina.com.

Is this really a hard decision or am I making this harder than it needs to be. FI seems to think so and Pricescope is the only forum that I think will really understand this dilemma. Although the dress is only for 8 hours, it''s an important decision.

Thanks so much for listening/reading!!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here comes the Enabler II . . . I would go with the Amsale. It looks really spectacular.

Can''t wait to see the pics of it on you!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
There is a shop outside of Boston that has some gorgeous designer gowns. You may find what you are looking for here.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Both are beautiful, if your close to a sample size I would call up Saks I know Thing2 got an amazing deal on her Amsale gown there :).

bee

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I''ve tried all of the pre-owned dress sites that I know. The Amsale is so new (current season), I''m not sure it''ll be pre-owned just yet. I did attend the trunk show in my area and the dress is marked down about $700 and I''ve found other retailers to price match; however I''m still on the fence, given the difference in styles between the two.

Thanks again so much, Ladies. Keep the comments coming and I''ll try to post a pic tomorrow.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... I dunno. I also think the Amsale is just stunning, but I guess it depends on where your dress ranks in your list of priorities. If it''s really high on the list and you have the budget, go for it.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer the Joli, it''s timeless and something you won''t ever doubt in pics in years to come, not that the other gown isn''t nice, but the Joli one is elegant

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
ENABLER III, checking in...

I had a similar dilemma: I fell in love with both a Reem Acra and the second-runner up was a Pronovias that was literally less than half the price. It was THAT big of a gulf between the two price points. I agonized over the decision, but in the end I went for the Reem Acra.

I''m happy I did, and I don''t regret it.

In fact, it may have been a blessing in disguise, because it made it easier to prioritize and focus the rest of the budget, and make more thoughtful choices about what was truly important to me (for instance: photography was still very important, but spending $1500 on only 50 invites was suddenly not as important, and so I got a better deal on those).

So, you may surprise yourself by getting the Amsale: you may find it much easier to make decisions about details that seemingly had endless possibilities before the dress purchase. It took a lot of stress off to discover how quickly things fell into perfect alignment once that big choie was taken care of.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ENABLER IV

They are both pretty, but I find the Amsale more of a head turner. Like Mediterranean, the Pronovias I was thinking about was also half the amount of my lacy dream from Junko Yoshioka. It helped that the alterations were thrown in (which would have been a fortune on the type of dress I purchased), but I knew that I would just always be thinking, what if...

We just decided to cut back in different areas - if I had found a dress for a bargain price, I was going to go all out and blow $$$ on some fancy shoes. That''s not the case now, especially since I want everyone to focus on the dress. We also are DYI''ing invites, programs, menus, etc, to save costs, and friends and family have provided some wedding stuff that we won''t need to worry about.

Besides, you''re getting married in 2010! You have a good amount of time to spread the costs out and prioritize saving for other things that you really need/want.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Amsale dress
30.gif
30.gif
Can you cut something else out of your budget to make room for it? It''s fab.

diamondgirl4382

Shiny_Rock
Personally I love the Joli. I think it would be much more figure-flattering than the Amsale. However, I think you should buy the one that makes you feel the most fabulous, (as long as you can fit it within your budget!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results