shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for marathon training?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this section (actually I haven''t posted in a long time because PS sucks me in and I can''t get any work done...sigh). Anyway, I used to be very fit and healthy (borderline obsessed with diet and exercise) and in the past couple of years I''ve stopped exercising all together due to some life changes etc. I didn''t gain weight but I lost all my muscle tone and I''ve become depressed. I know that exercise was the key to preventing myself from falling into depression in the past, so I decided to sign up for a half marathon to motivate myself to get back into the routine of exercising. Problem is that I''m crazy and I signed up for a 1/2 marathon on October 4th...My sister, an avid marathon runner, convinced me that 8 weeks is plenty of time to train. I''m starting to doubt myself and her.

I just started running again about a week ago, but I can''t seem to run more than 3 miles without stopping. That being said, anyone have experience training for a marathon/1/2 marathon? Is 8 weeks enough time to train? I could use any tips/tricks/support I can get!

Thanks!
9.gif

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,
Congrats on the goal of a half marathon! I think it always helps to have a goal like that so you dont think of it as just exercise but a lifestyle change.

I started running half marathons 4 years ago. I''ve completed 13 so far. I had to stop earlier this year when I pulled my achilles really bad and ended up in a cast
7.gif
But I literally just started running two days ago again (Can only do about 4 minutes before I have to stop to make sure I''m not re-injuring myself). When I got injured many months ago I had registered for the Long Beach half which was my very first half marathon and one I do religiously each year, but sadly with me just getting back on my feet its too short of a time to do it.

That all being said 8 week is enough time to train to get better at a half marathon. But unless you were a previous lifetime runner you wont be able to run it all the way through but that shouldnt have to be your goal either. You have a few options really, either slow it down while you are training to get the conditioning under you or (after much stretching) do hill runs which equalize you very quick. I''ll be honest I did not train at my most more than 8 miles at a time (most people recommend you run over 13 miles before you do your first half. I dont believe thats neccessary) . I did alot of hill runs for just a couple miles at best but ultimately its just repetition to get you there. However, the general rule for running is take your total miles you do each week, and every week after that increase the mileage by 10%.

If you havent done any strength training make sure you do that. Your thighs need the strength and if you have a strong core that is where most of your breathing comes in to play (stomach exercises). I would recommend you develop a stretching and floor routine at home to stretch everything out, and get some weights to do your arms and do stomach exercises. Running is good for endurance, but you still need leg strength so to not kill your knees or increase mileage using an elliptical is good, as well as doing bike too.

It sounds like you have a support in your sister so she shoudl give you great advice about proper fueling and such, but I think if your goal is to complete it you can, just may mean you dont run the whole way but that is ok. Even some of the best marathoners stop at every other mile for even just 30 seconds to let their heart rate come down. And theres also been many a time where a speed walker has kicked my butt and I''m running the whole way.

Good Luck on your run! The adrenaline you feel at the starting line and mixed in between all those runners will help keep you going for miles. It''s going to be a blast!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
My best friend was just finishing her YMCA 5K and she trained 2 months for that. Hope this helps.

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
I think 8 weeks could be enough time to train, but that depends on a lot of things. Back when you used to exercise all the time, did you do any distance running? If you used to be a runner I''d venture to say you could get back into it quickly and complete a half-marathon. If you previously weren''t a runner, you still may be able to run/walk the half. Incorporating a short walking break will help bring your heart rate down which will allow you to continue running.

I''d pick one run a week to be your long run then each week try to add one mile to the total distance. Don''t worry if you have to walk part of the run, just try your best to complete the run. You don''t need to run 13 miles before the half-marathon. It would be nice, but it''s really not necessary. The race day atmosphere will give you lots of motivation and you''ll have the support of water/gatorade stops and fans.

If your sister is a marathoner she can give you some training plans and good advice. The training is very similar. Good luck!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
How many miles are you running a day/week?

If you are running 3-4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. 8 weeks is enough time. If not, you''re most likely going to be feeling an injury come around the 4-6th week. Good luck to you.

3-3-3-4 -- 8 weeks
3-4-3-5 -- 7 weeks
3-4-3-6 -- 6 weeks
3-5-3-8 -- 5 weeks
3-5-3-10 - 4 weeks
4-5-4-9 -- 3 weeks
3-4-3-8 --- 2 weeks
3-3-2-race the final week!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I know a girl who ran a half (and is training for a full marathon) and she said that they did a run x minutes, walk 1 minute pace (the more in shape you were, the longer you ran). So she started in a run 3 minutes, walk 1 and ran the half marathon at a run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute pace. She said that really made in managable for her (and she''s a huge runner). So maybe something like that would be workable for you?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monkey, have you checked out coolrunning.com? Great site. Good luck to you!!

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TripleG! Great tips, and yes I will have to do some strength training because my legs give out before I run out of breath...sad..
DiamondsforDee, I wasn''t a distance runner before but I did run about 5 miles a day regularly and cross-trained with swimming and spinning etc. Yes, my goal is to add one mile each week. In my head it sounds like no problem, but in my head i''m thinking "someone kill me now!" I really do think the adrenaline and cheering fans will help a lot!
Thanks for the plan tlh!
Princesss, I like the interval idea. Sounds like something i could do!
I will check out coolrunning.com monarch64. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I feel a little more confident that I can do this!

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You can do it, and you will have a blast I''m sure. Get some good music and remember to reward yourself! How about some beautiful bling when you finish your race :), They do have little jewlery stands at the expo''s the days leading up to the races and you can get some cute things, but now with this website I''m definitely thinking of getting myself some great bling items when I get ready to do my next race :) Definitely keeps you motivated.

Oh and btw, in case you werent aware there is a San Francisco Nike Womens marathon. Its a huge race and its awesome and benefits cancer. Instead of a medal at the end of the race... its a TIFFANY NECKLACE!!!

You should definitely do that one for the bling :)

Have Fun
36.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
If there is a local sports/running store in your neighborhood I''d see if they have any group running events. Sometimes having others to run with can be useful in learning to pace your breath and stride for distance. PLUS keeping you motivated when there isn''t a tiffany necklace waiting for you at the finish line
3.gif

MonkeyPants

Brilliant_Rock
Triple G, I will have to tell FI about the bling! haha...He would probably try to talk me out of running it if he had to buy me more jewelry for completing it! I think I''ll sign up for the SF Nike womens marathon next year...my sister loves that one (and I really do think that it might be for the bling at the end!)

Mayachel, all the running groups in my area run minimums of like 5 miles or something which scares the heeby jeebies out of me, but I think I will join when I feel like I can run 4-5 miles without dying!

After just a few weeks of running I feel like I''ve made so much progress as far as how I feel after running 3 miles (I feel like I can keep going instead of wanting to crawl up and die) woot!

TripleG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Way to go! Keep it up! I may do that one next year too. I''m trying to get in to New York for next year as well. Hope that lottery is good to me :)

Clover

Rough_Rock
Hi MonkeyPants,

I came across this thread tonight while looking for some 1/2 marathon tips. How did your race go??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results