shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for bringing home second baby/gift for a two year old?

simurgh

Rough_Rock
My son just turned two, and we're just about to have a second kid. We'd like to give our fist son something really fun from the second kid (our friends have all recommended this as a good way to introduce the new baby). He doesn't watch tv, is really tall for his age and pretty verbal. Any help would be great, and we're always looking for any other tips to help with the transition to being a big brother. Thank you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Tips for bringing home second baby/gift for a two year o

Firstborns now need a gift from a subsequent sibling? Hmm. Silver spoon seems appropriate here. :???: And perhaps a soft place to land after being knocked off that pedestal.

:saint:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about a book about being a big brother? Maybe something where he share about his new sibling or draw pictures, you know kind of like a baby book but more of a memory book type idea. He can tell you what he wants you to write and it will be a really interactive fun family activity that you can keep and look back on.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I have never heard of this. I'm curious why a gift would be needed for an introduction and what your friends said was the reasoning behind it? Isn't the meeting itself special enough? Personally, I'm not a fan of this idea so I don't have any gift suggestions to offer.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We did it the other way round- first son gave second son a lovely soft teddy, which he still has 12 years later! First son was also 2, he was fascinated by the baby but was otherwise neither up nor down at the transition.

Q

Queenie60

How about an "I'm a Big Brother" shirt! This is what we gave to my son when our daughter was born. However, it wasn't from the Baby it was just a gift to help him to feel included in the process as a family member. And we did not present it as a gift, just something standard so he can participate.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1471188775|4065865 said:
I have never heard of this. I'm curious why a gift would be needed for an introduction and what your friends said was the reasoning behind it? Isn't the meeting itself special enough? Personally, I'm not a fan of this idea so I don't have any gift suggestions to offer.

I am kind of like this but maybe this is new? I was 5 when my sister was born and my mom brought her to my kindergarten class for show and tell. :lol: After that she was just a PITA for 13 years.

I have twins and they are the only ones so I did not have this as a thing. I can see where someone would want to include the older sibling because they would not be the center of attention any longer.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^Not being the center of attention is actually a good thing ;-)

I suppose there is no harm in a gift and I don't have an issue with it (other than I don't get the concept). I don't buy into push presents either, but if others do, then again I have no issues with it. It's just not my thing =)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1471191918|4065894 said:
^Not being the center of attention is actually a good thing ;-)

Not from that kid's POV, but that will actually help them later. :D I think we are in agreement.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We did this, but kept it simple.

Daughter #2 "arrived" with two little stuffed bunnies. When #1 came to visit, I told her there was one for each of then, would she please put one in the baby's bed and take care of one, too? After that, two little matchbox cars came out of Mommy's bag, and she got to play cars with Daddy, then take them home.

The whole thing might have cost $15 at the time. The babies are nearly 21 and 18 now. Those bunnies are still around somewhere.

Oh, I also think there was a book at home about being a big sister/brother, that we got to read, but I don't' remember if I had shared that with her before or waited until after. I do remember that grandparents, aunties, all remembered big sis, when it came to gifts, and they were VERY careful to be sure to say hello to her FIRST, before going to the baby.

simurgh

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone, thanks for (most of :) ) the comments. I was hoping for some thoughtful answers - the baby book is a lovely idea we'd never thought of, as is the t shirt, which I had thought of and immediately forgot (much like everything else I've thought of while pregnant). The book could be particularly funny because the kinds of things that seem to capture his attention these days are likely to be pretty entertaining as memories When everyone is older.

I hadn't thought that a gift would be so controversial, and it had been so uniformly recommended from sensible parents that we didn't think too much about it. That said, even after thinking about it further, I can't see how we're setting him up for future issues with a single gift (e.g., I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually understand gifts at the moment), and for those who are extrapolating a larger approach to parenting or his existence (e.g., that he's currently the center of attention, or that we're compensating for some change in his level of centrality regardless of what it is) from a single Internet comment and instance, all I'll say is you're way off base for both us and our friends.

For those asking why do this, part of it was to mark a special moment ... Why do we give birthday gifts? Anniversary gifts? Part was given he's so little (i.e. doesn't get presents) it was more in the spirit of inclusion in the process that one of the posters mentioned.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never heard of the parents buying something for the older child. I watched my brothers children while their wives were giving birth to the 2nd child. I would spend the day trying to keep them occupied as they wanted to be at the hospital in the worst way. We would go to Toys R Us and my nieces picked out a gift for them to give the new baby. They told every person they came in contact with that day that they were getting a brother or sister. They were so excited to meet their sibling and give them the toy they picked out for them.
I also let my nieces pick out a baby doll so they could take care if their baby while mom was taking care of the new baby.

I've always brought a gift for the older child when friends of mine have had children. Just so they didn't feel left out when the baby was getting a present.

I guess I recommend books or a toy that you know would keep them occupied.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I don't think there's a controversy :lol: As I said before, there's probably no harm in a gift, but it's not something that I personally feel is needed. If others do, I have no issue with it =) Thank you for explaining your reasoning. I guess that I view the baby itself as a gift of sorts, but again, there's probably no harm in a small gift.
A book is a nice idea.
Congrats on the new addition to your family! I hope all goes well for you and your growing family.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1471196504|4065914 said:
I don't think there's a controversy :lol: As I said before, there's probably no harm in a gift, but it's not something that I personally feel is needed. If others do, I have no issue with it =) Thank you for explaining your reasoning. I guess that I view the baby itself as a gift of sorts, but again, there's probably no harm in a small gift.
A book is a nice idea.
Congrats on the new addition to your family! I hope all goes well for you and your growing family.

Like Mom Happy stated above, I also don't think there is a controversy. I just haven't heard of parents getting the older child a gift.
Congratulations on the new baby.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Likewise for me. Congrats on the new baby! :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can get them what I got my nephew, and my evil tw@t of a SIL put in the garage since it didn't match their fugly decor - Domo toaster
http://www.spencersonline.com/product/domo-toaster/1004.uts?Extid=sf_froogle&utm_campaign=RKG_-_Shopping_-_Home_%26_Dorm&utm_medium=paid&utm_source=google&utm_term=180148921028product_type_l1home_%26_dorm%26product_type_l2lighting%26product_type_l3&utm_content=Lighting&utm_inex=e&adpos=1o1&creative=113052620108&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=02467686&gclid=CPrBzOqAws4CFYgfhgodg0sLCg

I want one now... lolol... good morning have you had your coffee yet dear? ROAR!!! right back atcha toast ROAR!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

monarch64|1471188074|4065858 said:
Firstborns now need a gift from a subsequent sibling? Hmm. Silver spoon seems appropriate here. :???: And perhaps a soft place to land after being knocked off that pedestal.

:saint:

I gotta agree with this. As an only child the new sibling IS the gift. They get the gift of being a big brother, or having someone by their side while they grown up and into adult hood who they will have a truly unique relationship with.

I wouldn't bribe the existing kiddo with anything. Just tell them the joys of being a brother.

ETA: read others responses. No controversy. If you do go the gift route I suggest MATCHING outfits, a T-shirt that says "Big Brother" and a onesie that says, "Little X" X being whatever sex. I also like the Big Brother Book idea. But that's about it.

Having a sibling is TRULY a gift. A huge one. And I would do my best (I know the kid is 2) to just keep the whole occasion focused on that.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

More than once, when a friend had a "second" I've given both a baby gift and a "big brother/big sister" gift. I usually make double-sided flannel baby blankets as gifts for newborns, and bundle them with a board book (Goodnight Gorilla being my favorite). For the "big brother" or "big sister" gift I make a larger blanket using flannels with prints more appropriate to an older boy or girl, and then add a more "grown up" picture book. Most kids under five still appreciate a blanket that they can sleep with (not necessarily under) and wrap up in when Mom or Dad reads to them. The parents always appreciate the tandem gifts!

I think it's perfectly understandable that an older child might feel a bit forgotten in the hubub when a new baby arrives, and if something that says "you're still important" and "you're now a big brother!" helps, I'm more than happy to provide that. But then again, I was the oldest in my family... ;))

Wombats

Shiny_Rock

When our new baby arrived, we did the following:

Our twins were almost three.

We gave each of them a you're going to be a big brother/ sister book and read it nightly.

They were given the job of selecting the new baby's comfort toy. They each have their own comfort toy and took this pretty seriously. They then gave it to the baby at the hospital.

The baby gave them each some new big kid duplo, play dough toys and puzzles. And they picked out some of their baby toys and redistributed them for the baby.

We also created a special box of activities at home which were only pulled out during the sometimes lengthy feeds. Google Busy Boxes for ideas.

Good Luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

NTave

Shiny_Rock

This is common practice where we are from, and I see it often as I used to be in hospitals. Usually it's a small toy and its from the baby, wrapped, it's to ease the tensions of the baby getting gifts and attention. I did it with my first born years ago, she got a small toy, which was long enough ago that I don't remember what but it was no big deal. I don't think kids under 2 "get" the present from sibling idea, but 3-4 years do. I'm sure I wouldn't do it with an older child but it really is a nice gesture to ease transition.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results