shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping the Wedding Officiant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I am assuming it's customary to tip the wedding officiant, but how much??? We are getting married on a beach in Kauai, just the two of us. The total cost for our package is $780 (inlcuding pictures, leis, bouquet, etc).

What do you all think is a fair tip???

Thanks in advance :)

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Twenty-two views and NO ONE has any ideas??? I leave in three days!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I originanlly came here to giggle about your how you said you leave in 3 days and how your name is "impatient one" but I thought that would be rude if I couldn''t at least give you some info!

So, even though I''m not even engaged I decided to look it up and this is what I found regarding tipping officiants:

"Wedding etiquette says that an officiant is "never tipped," but judges break that rule, because, in their cases, tipping actually takes the place of a fee for service rendered and is the only payment the officiant receives. Clergy persons may be comfortable accepting a donation for their organization. Years ago it was considered improper to ask a set fee for officiant services rendered. Today, you may find mention of a "suggested donation." The average gratuity starts at $75, more if travel time is involved or if you feel so inclined. Most couples rarely feel comfortable giving less than a hundred dollars for the wedding officiant. It''s appropriate for the donation to be given to the best man before the ceremony. Following the proceedings, it is appropriate for him to give the "fee" to the officiant. A civil officiant (e.g., judge, Justice of the Peace, City Clerk, etc.) is not allowed to accept a tip or donation for a wedding ceremony performed during court /office hours. After hours, they may accept a "donation'' (gratuity) of up to $75. To make sure you are within the legal guidelines of your locale, check with your officiant for specifics."

"I am a wedding officiant and I never expect a tip. The fee I charge is all I expect. About twice a year someone will tip but it is very rare. As far as the reception, some couples invite me and others don''t. Officiants for the most part do not expect an invitation. Sometimes if I am saying the blessing I will stay for the reception or it I have gotten to know the couple real well. Do not feel obligated to invite the officiant unless you really would want him there. God Bless and best wishes.
Deacon Bob Tousey "

"Officiant (Clergy, Priest, Minister etc) - Although officiants do not usually ask for financial recompense for their services they do expect you to make a donation to the church or their organization. As to the amount of the donation, traditionally they will suggest an amount when you finalize arrangements with them. The amount varies from a flat fee to an honorarium and can range from $50 up to $500. If you are expecting the officiant to travel outside of their local area then you should also compensate them for their travel costs. Do not directly offer a tip to an officiant. The nominated tip giver should pass the agreed amount to the officiant after the ceremony. If you are using the services of a civil servant, such as a judge, Justice of the Peace or a City Clerk, then you are allowed to tip them (although it should be called a “donation” rather than “tip”) provided you do not exceed $75 and you must ensure that it is paid to them outside of court/office hours."

I hope that helps a little bit???

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
WAIT!!!!!! Here is the answer to your question.
31.gif

Question

My wedding is this July 26 in Kauai. Just my fiance and I with no friends or family and we''ve hired a wedding coordinator. Do we need to plan to tip her or just our officiant? Our ceremony will last no more than 15 minutes. How much do we need to plan to tip? We''ll also have a photographer. That was part of the wedding package. How much do we need to tip or do we even need to?

Dear Visitor,

It is so nice to hear from you again! Kauai?! I love Kauai! Congratulations! No tip is expected. If you were planning, which I know you are not (FYI stuff), a reception, you would invite the officiant and feed the photographer and coordinator.

Warm regards,

Rebecca

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Luckystar!!! And yes, I am truly an impatient one!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting...I've read that an officiant IS tipped. I did tip the officiant even though she and her husband came to the reception and were fed, etc anyway. I tipped 20% (of the officiant's cost, which was $250 + $50 tip).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results