carat
color
clarity

Tipping at restaurants.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
choro72|1321037447|3059715 said:
I have a question for those who know how these things work. Do servers at fancy restaurants get paid more? When I eat their overpriced steaks, experience their 5 star service, soft lighting and music, and cushy seating, I'm psychologically inclined to tip more. But does that mean that these servers are paid more AND tipped more, whereas servers at Ruby's get paid less AND tipped less? And what about fastfood? Are they paid better since many people (including myself) don't tip at these places?
[/quote]

At high end places, it's a very nice job, and servers can easily make six figures.

Servers at Ruby's get paid less and tipped less. Fast food workers make minimum wage. Cooks don't get tipped either.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We always tip at least 20% of the total bill. I have never even thought about taking the tax off before I calculated the tip. Many times
we tip over 20% for great service. We also tip at places where you normally don't tip. Often we seek out the wait staff at those places to hand them the tip personally when they have been kind to us. I think waiting tables can be a really difficult job, and everyone likes to be appreciated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak|1320984440|3059300 said:
daintyG|1320983564|3059285 said:
Every time I think about tipping I think that it's a really clever idea... for restaurants. We pay for the food and we pay their employees for them, too. I think that servers deserve to be paid--that's not the point I'm making--but does anyone else think that their employers should pay them?? Or am I crazy.

Actually in many states these days waitstaff get more than a few dollars. It is often still lower than minimum wage, but for example in CA, they get a minimum of $8 per hour on top of their tips.

FEDERAL law only requires $2.13, but many states go above it these days.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Just FYI! :))

I just looked at the link NF provided here, and apparently in the state I just moved to, the minimum wage is the same for tipped and non-tipped employees. Unlike where I used to live, where the minimum wage for tipped employees is disgustingly low, those here aren't necessarily relying on tips to make up the wage gap. So...now I'm wondering if this should change the way I tip? I mean, good service certainly deserves to be rewarded, but when you take out the "guilt factor" in tipping and look purely at the service factor, would it make sense to tip 15% here where I might have tipped 20% on the same bill/level of service where I lived before? I'm not asking to be cheap, I really am interested in how much the analysis changes based on those two components of why we tip here in the US.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I have a question for the US PSers:

It seems that the prevailing thought is that tipping at restaurants is expected and justified because servers make minimum wage. What's the reason for tipping other people (e.g. hairdresser, beautician, etc.)? Are they making minimum wage too?

Can O Worms...

20% or more is what we normally tip. But if we have shitty service I have no problem doing less. I've found that the older we get we get better service. Weird...

Oh and I always tip after food, drinks, and tax is added.. I didn't know that people tipped before that. There are some people I won't go out to eat with anymore because even if the service is great, they tip like crap. I'm done upping my tip to cover theirs as well. It's just plain embarrassing.

OK, my question:

If you order a pizza for pick-up... how much do you tip? do you tip?

Let's say it was $26 .. what would you tip on a pizza pick-up for that?

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
JulieN, thanks for clarifying. Maybe I should rethink my tipping strategy. Do cooks expect to be tipped as well!?

Interested in knowing the answers to mayerling and bean's questions too!

Ah well, we rarely eat out anyway so this tipping thing is not an issue for me normally. I just want to make sure I'm not offending anyone if I want to return!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cooks don't expect to be tipped; they make more hourly than waitstaff, but the tips to the front of the house massively upends the hourly difference.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When I order take-out and go to pick it up, I just pay for the food and don't tip. Geez, is it common to leave a tip when picking up food? I hope my favorite Thai place doesn't hate me!

Mayerling--good question about why we tip hairstylists. Probably because we want to keep them happy so they don't butcher our hair :) Kidding--I don't know why it's so common, but I love my hairstylists and she's a super sweet girl who just bought a house this year and is getting married, so I tend to leave a hefty tip for her because I simply adore her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...

Answering some questions.

I round up too. Math is too complicated for me to sit there and fuss.

I don't tip for take out. I tip 10% at a buffet if it's more than just filling my water glass.

I also over tip on small things. If I am only ordering 8 bucks of food I'm not leaving a $1.60 tip unless it's warranted. I will tip 5 bucks or so. I tip the pizza/chinese delivery 5 bucks unless the order total is more then I will just do 15% or so.

The factor that influences me at 5 star restaurants is not the ambiance or the lighting-- most of these restaurants have IMPECCABLE service. I mean, just perfect across the board plus funny, personable, and make the experience of dining at that level really feel like something special. So yes, they do get bigger tips, but man, they EARN it. BUT on the flip side, if I'm paying that much for a meal and ambiance, a bad server sticks out like a sore thumb and will definitely get a complaint to the manager-- not just a lousy tip-- if they mess up and have a bad attitude. If they just mess up but are nice and friendly, no complaint to the manager about them. But you stick a bad attitude in there-- you are getting a complaint.

I am also try to be very clear on who is to blame for what. We dined at a restaurant where the kitchen was messing everything up and the poor server was trying their best and was funny and sincere despite it. We complained about the kitchen, but praised the server and gave them a good tip.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1321048268|3059838 said:
The factor that influences me at 5 star restaurants is not the ambiance or the lighting-- most of these restaurants have IMPECCABLE service. I mean, just perfect across the board plus funny, personable, and make the experience of dining at that level really feel like something special. So yes, they do get bigger tips, but man, they EARN it. BUT on the flip side, if I'm paying that much for a meal and ambiance, a bad server sticks out like a sore thumb and will definitely get a complaint to the manager-- not just a lousy tip-- if they mess up and have a bad attitude. If they just mess up but are nice and friendly, no complaint to the manager about them. But you stick a bad attitude in there-- you are getting a complaint.

I am also try to be very clear on who is to blame for what. We dined at a restaurant where the kitchen was messing everything up and the poor server was trying their best and was funny and sincere despite it. We complained about the kitchen, but praised the server and gave them a good tip.

Totally agree. We have never experienced poor service at the top restaurants and that is (one of the reasons) why I enjoy going there. The food is top notch but so is the service and it is worth the extra money. Could you imagine a bad server at Per Se or Le Bernardin? Wouldn't happen. And I agree-they totally earn their big tips.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
15% rounded to the nearest dollar.

I keep trying NOT to tip in tip jars at places though, everyone was putting them out and it's getting ridiculous.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty|1321053293|3059901 said:
I keep trying NOT to tip in tip jars at places though, everyone was putting them out and it's getting ridiculous.
I wonder if admin would mind if I put a Pay Pal Tip Jar in my sigline. :Up_to_something:

tip-jar.jpg

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
mayerling|1321043923|3059793 said:
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I have a question for the US PSers:

It seems that the prevailing thought is that tipping at restaurants is expected and justified because servers make minimum wage. What's the reason for tipping other people (e.g. hairdresser, beautician, etc.)? Are they making minimum wage too?

We typically tip at least 20% for good service at restaurants and 30%+ for exceptional service. I won't tip anything if service is especially bad, why should I? However, I also am the first to tell management if we get exceptional service and have done so many times.

As far as the salon industry, mayerling, I don't know what it's like in the US but where I am in Canada good stylists easily gross $60,000-$70,000 before tips.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1321035992|3059697 said:
I tip 20% on the total after tax. I tip food delivery people 20% on the total after tax as well. I'm on auto-pilot with tipping. 20% across the board-quick easy math, though with stellar service, I give more. I have no problem with the culture of restaurant tipping in the US, but I do wish service people were paid a *true* living hourly wage, so as not to have to rely on tips. I don't penalize the server for US business practices.

I do the same thing. It's absurd when people say that they don't tip or don't tip much because they disagree with how restaurants pay their employees. :rolleyes: I'm sure stiffing the server will make the restaurant industry change their practices!

Let's be real-that's just an excuse for being cheap.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1321000768|3059431 said:
Gypsy you're right, servers aren't exempt from minimum wage here, so when we tip, it's just a little extra to say thanks for good service, it is not to make up their salary. I find the culture shock of tipping very difficult to adjust to when I visit the US. I always freak out that I'm undertipping, or that I didn't tip someone I was supposed to, or tipped someone I wasn't supposed to and offended them... and then how do people always have so much change on them!? I'm scrambling around for the right change for a tip, do I ask them to break my ten and give me back $8 or

Porridge, I've lived in the US for most of my life and even I've been completely flustered by tipping. In NY everyone has their hand out. The hot dog guy to the 5 star restaurant. When I lived on the east coast I refused to go into NY because by the time I was done tipping everyone I had NO money left over. It is the MOST ridiculous city when it comes to tips. DC isn't as bad. But can be over tippy too. Same with SF. Las Vegas.

The big cities are tourist traps and you pay for it in tips. It's very annoying. Just living here you can avoid tipping everywhere. I tip my nail salon tech 5 bucks and my hair stylist about 5-10 and then stick to 20% for restuarants else. A few bucks over if I take a taxi and 5 bucks for valet parking.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
bean|1321044156|3059798 said:
OK, my question:

If you order a pizza for pick-up... how much do you tip? do you tip?

Let's say it was $26 .. what would you tip on a pizza pick-up for that?

I don't tip on take-out. My standard tip for delivery is $2, and my order is usually $10-20.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I pretty much always give 20%, unless the service is absolutely terrible and rude in which I would give 10-15. If service is bad and it's out of the server's controle (i.e. food issues as opposed to service problems) I still give a good tip. I know what it's lke to work hard to make money and servers rely on tips...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1321041375|3059754 said:
We always tip at least 20% of the total bill. I have never even thought about taking the tax off before I calculated the tip. Many times
we tip over 20% for great service. We also tip at places where you normally don't tip. Often we seek out the wait staff at those places to hand them the tip personally when they have been kind to us. I think waiting tables can be a really difficult job, and everyone likes to be appreciated.

totally agree. I always tip ON TOP OF tax, I don't bother to take off tax prior to figuring out the tip.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i do not tip on the tax.....only on the food/beverage bill.

i double the tax which in this area is 9.75%.....which gives me the amount i tip and add to the bill. i then round up or down as the situation warrants.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked in restaurants from 18-24, back of the house, serving tables, at a popular ice cream chain that actively tries to get tips for their employees.

I typically tip 20% (after tax) at a sit down restaurant. Tax doesn't make that big of a financial difference to me to try to calculate it before (for us, typically it'd be about a dollar or less). My husband depends on me to figure out the tip.

Sometimes I tip $1 per visit to the table.

I tip a minimum of $5 for sit down service. I'm mentioning this because our favorite neighborhood New Mexican restaurant leaves us with a $17 TOTAL ticket.

At our local cafe for counter service, I typically tip $1 or $2.

At Cold Stone Creamery (my former employer) I'll tip them a dollar. And tell them I DO NOT want them to sing.

For delivery service, I'll tip $2-$5ish depending on the total. They usually make a decent hourly wage, I figured I can at least cover their gas a little bit extra.

Drinks - $1.

I tip before coupons/discounts/freebies.

I have only never tipped once. Chili's. The guy (maybe 20-21) blatantly ignored us in favor of the table of cute girls that he was literally sitting down at their table with flirting and chatting. I wrote on the credit card receipt how terrible the service was and how I hoped he enjoyed talking to the girls. He made us miss a movie (which we had mentioned to him at the beginning), he didn't bring out our food, and we never got drink refills, which is my biggest pet peeve at a restaurant.

I have been known to tip excessively at times. I've had service that was absolutely amazing, where the server anticipated what we needed before we realized we were lacking at all. That was at Gramercy Tavern in NYC. I've never experienced anything like it since then...

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
For good servuce 20%--great service 25% and crummy service 2 cents. I'm not kidding. I don't tip for bad service. Just a couple of weeks ago my BFF and I were out for breakfast and the serice was BEYOND TERRIBLE. We had to repeatedly ask for everything, food and beverages were cold, we didn't get our toast...you get the idea. Then the check came. I told her I was leaving 2 cents by my plate, she should leave her tip by her plate and I didn't want her trying to cover me. I don't reward bad behavior. I also spoke to the manager before before we left and get this--he said she was on medication and that's why she was the way she was. It didn't move me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We tip on take out (they have to put together, forks, napkins, etc). I never have delivery service but if I were to then of course I would tip; I know those people rely on tips.

oh and tips are easy to figure out on 20%; just double the bill. $10 bill doubled is a $2 tip. Which is why I love tipping 20%; the other percents are more work. lol Also they deserve 20% I think unless service is super bad but I honestly haven't had crazy bad service. I will tip more for awesome service. Or if I am pay cash to leave the tip I will just round up instead of leaving a bunch of change.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually tip 20% on the total bill and then round it up to the next dollar. So, if the bill is $29.45, I just go with a $6.00 tip. (Mostly because it's easier for me... :cheeky: ) One than that really bugs me (for no good reason!) is when people tip with "change" to make the bill amount an even number. So, on the $29.45 bill someone who tips $6.55. Seriously--why do I care?!?

Interestingly enough, if I'm ordering drinks at a bar I typically leave about a buck a drink, regardless of what they cost. So beer is $5, I give $6. Wine is $14, I five $15. This is if I'm paying cash, however if I'm using a credit card I do the automatic 20% thing. Hmmm... wonder what my rationale is there??

I've never been a waitress for a living, but I was a bartender to earn some $ in law school, so it would never occur to me to leave nothing in a restaurant/bar situation unless something truly tragic happened. And even then, depending on the circumstance, if whatever it was was no fault of the server, I would still probably give him/her a tip.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to admit it, but we don't usually tip if we get take out. We do if we get something delivered though. If we eat at a restaurant, we tip 15-20%. We tip on the amount after taxes.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I'm fairly standard, I think - 20% give or take a little, pre-tax. In general, on $15 I'm tipping over 20% and the higher you go the percentage might creep down a bit to 18% or so. Almost always round numbers. I'll go up a bit if I only order water (which I do for health not money reasons). They're still putting in effort!

I will say the one thing I hate is having to tip 20% on bottles of wine, particularly when they are (1) overpriced and (2) just sitting on my table for me to serve myself. It rankles.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Mexican place here in town adds a tip to the bill for take out. I'm not sure about the other places. I've never been to a fancy 5 star place, about as fancy as we get around here is Texas Roadhouse. We've eaten there and had amazing service every single time..tho once I was ticked that they wouldn't give me my free onion blossom on my birthday since my printer didn't work and I couldn't print the dumb coupon, even tho I showed them my drivers license. I generally leave them $5. Here in town I leave a couple bucks, depending. There's only been a couple times we've not left a tip-one was just last weekend. We got there and waited about 5 minutes before getting menus, another family came in (*after* we got our menus), got menus, drinks, ordered and had their FOOD, and we were still sitting there looking around for our drinks. She never came back to the table to check on us, never smiled, actually looked like she was stoned off her gourd. My brother waved it off and said "Ehhh she's a kid, she doesn't want to be here on a weekend, it's not her fault" I'm not that nice or understanding.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1321000768|3059431 said:
Every time I think about tipping I think that it's a really clever idea... for restaurants. We pay for the food and we pay their employees for them, too. I think that servers deserve to be paid--that's not the point I'm making--but does anyone else think that their employers should pay them?? Or am I crazy.
You took the thoughts right out of my head, I ALWAYS think this. I have NO PROBLEM tipping someone for great service, but I do have a problem being expected *by the company* to pay their employees wages.

Gypsy you're right, servers aren't exempt from minimum wage here, so when we tip, it's just a little extra to say thanks for good service, it is not to make up their salary. I find the culture shock of tipping very difficult to adjust to when I visit the US. I always freak out that I'm undertipping, or that I didn't tip someone I was supposed to, or tipped someone I wasn't supposed to and offended them... and then how do people always have so much change on them!? I'm scrambling around for the right change for a tip, do I ask them to break my ten and give me back $8 or something...it's a minefield.

Aaaaaaaanyway. Back to the point. I agree with daintyG, I think the practice of tipping has gone too far, from a nice way to show appreciation for good service to full out expectation of covering someone's salary. I can not understand how it is allowed that the companies do not pay their employees for that service, because you can be damn sure they're charging me for it.

I agree with everything Porridge posted. When I'm in the US I always tip a minimum of 20% but I do think that it's gone too far. At home, we usually round up when we're paying in a restaurant so it will be a couple of euro and I always tip my hairdresser but that's about it.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I am an extremely good tipper - I always tip 20%-25% after tax for dine-in and when it comes to delivery I tip the same, but at least $3- so if a 20% tip would equal only $2 I add more. DH dries me crazy because he is an okay to decent tipper, he tips about 20% at restaurants but before tax, and only around 15% for delivery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results