shape
carat
color
clarity

timing - how the heck does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Greetings all,

Having never done it before, I''m not sure how this whole proposal thing works. I know each person has his or her way, but how does the timing usually work with regard to asking the magic words and giving the ring. Do I say "will you marry me" and hand her the ring at the same exact time that I am asking? Or do I ask, await the answer, and then hand her the ring? Or do I hand her the ring and then ask the magic question? Man alive this stuff is hard!
23.gif

I appreciate any help you folks could offer.
1.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I guess everyone probably has a different answer to this question, but I''d say it would be best if you say what you want to say first (things you love about her & your relationship, what you mean to her, etc., leading up to the big question), then present the ring. It seems that once she sees the ring, she''ll likely stop accepting new information, if you know what I mean!
2.gif
I think it''s romantic if you''re the one to slip it on her finger for the first time too. Do you plan to go down on one knee?

Good luck & congratulations on finding the one!
9.gif

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Hi Brightspot,

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I do plan on doing the whole one knee thing, and that is part of why I can''t figure out the whole timing thing. I go to one knee and say "will you marry me?" but when do I actually give the ring? As I am saying it, after I say it, or just before I start the "will you marry me" question?

I really appreciate your help.

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/15/2005 3:39:43 PM
Author: CountryBoy
Yes, I do plan on doing the whole one knee thing, and that is part of why I can''t figure out the whole timing thing. I go to one knee and say ''will you marry me?'' but when do I actually give the ring? As I am saying it, after I say it, or just before I start the ''will you marry me'' question?
i''m not sure about other people, but this is the order i did it in:

1. told her why i love her and why i couldn''t live without her
2. got on my knee and pulled out the ring box at the same time
3. opened the ring box and asked her to marry me.
4. when she said yes, i slipped the ring on her finger...

best of luck to you.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2005 3:51:34 PM
Author: bopitaddict

Yes, I do plan on doing the whole one knee thing, and that is part of why I can''t figure out the whole timing thing. I go to one knee and say ''will you marry me?'' but when do I actually give the ring? As I am saying it, after I say it, or just before I start the ''will you marry me'' question?
i''m not sure about other people, but this is the order i did it in:

1. told her why i love her and why i couldn''t live without her

best of luck to you.
That sounds like a perfect plan to me!
36.gif

Good luck, CountryBoy & don''t forget to post your story &, most importantly, ring pics!
9.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
The timing of these things isn''t terribly important. I have heard of it done all different ways - Love you, ring, will you marry me, knee, ring on finger; Love you, knee, wymm, ring, love you, wymm, knee, ring, etc etc etc. Do it the way it feels comfortable for you.
1.gif
Good luck!!! Just relax (although she might think your nervousness is endearing!)

By the way, my husband put the ring on my finger while he was on his knee.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone''s given good advice. All I can add is, as soon as she actually sees the ring, all she''s going to hear from that point is, "BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA."

Say all the good stuff before she sees the ring.
2.gif
9.gif

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Firegoddess your post literally made me laugh out loud. It will still be about three months before I ask her, but I am the type of guy who likes to work out the rough edges well ahead of time. This timing thing is just something I didn''t understand, but I think I might understand it now. I think I will probably tell her why I can''t live without her, drop to one knee, ask her the big question as I am reaching for the ring, and as she answers I will present it to her. If she says no, I will put it back in my pocket without her having ever seen it
31.gif

But she won''t say no
25.gif

I''m nervous about trying to slip it on her finger because I''m not completely sure I got her size right. My plan is to hand her the closed ring box and watch her face as she opens it. I''m planning a sunset beach proposal and the ring will be in a very nice ring box with a small internal light that illuminates the ring.

Thanks again for all who chimed in and I am still interested to hear the opinions of others.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2005 3:51:34 PM
Author: bopitaddict

1. told her why i love her and why i couldn't live without her

best of luck to you.

Pretty much the same here. :}

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the advice that you''ve been given. I like that you will give her the box closed so you can see her expression when she opens it and sees the ring.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2005 9:43:44 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Firegoddess your post literally made me laugh out loud.
Just callin' it like I remember it...
2.gif
hehehe

I like the idea of giving her the open box, but once she opens it, ask her if she'd like you to put it on her. I know she's going to say yes. It's just more romantic that way. I opened the box when my husband asked me, but I asked him to put it on me. The ring was a size too big, but I didn't care. I wanted to wear it and after a few days, returned it to the store to be sized.

Good luck!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results