shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to take the step... Really need your help!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
JohnnyBoon,

It was webdiva who said she didn't like surprises, not me. That said, I wouldn't like a surprise, either.

My SO has VERY different taste in jewelry than I do. He got his feelings hurt one Christmas when he gave me a beautiful ruby pendant and earring set and I exchanged it for a simple bezel-set diamond pendant. I wouldn't have worn the rubies much, if at all (don't often dress to wear that sort of thing), but I wear the diamond pendant 24/7/365. It wasn't that I didn't like the rubies, it was that they'd sit in the jewelry box, like a pretty bracelet he got me that is too fancy to wear every day and I don't dress up often enough to wear it more than once or twice a year, if that. If he's going to spend that kind of money, it should be on something that I can wear a lot.

Propose with the ring you have or a goofy ring of some sort, then shop for the setting. It will be best if you can choose one she likes together and order it the right size, especially if there are diamonds on the shank.

liz

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock
Johnny, I saw this and thought of you. A bit out of your price range but they are taking offers and it could be a great deal?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SweetAsscher|1333423748|3162227 said:
Johnny, I saw this and thought of you. A bit out of your price range but they are taking offers and it could be a great deal?
Link missing honey.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SweetAsscher|1333428110|3162250 said:
Gypsy|1333426906|3162245 said:
SweetAsscher|1333423748|3162227 said:
Link missing honey.

Oops! Thanks Gypsy. I guess I'm a little distracted :oops:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300690556190?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619[/quote

If I understand the terminology this guy is using. She doesn't want a solitaire with a metal shank showing. I could be wrong though... I'm still unclear on the whole "frame' thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JohnyBoon|1333345386|3161564 said:
Liz - the reason we like to surprise you with the design is that this is the only way to surprise you. If I tell you to go ring shopping, then you know that it's coming. Well, in my case, she definitely knows that it's coming, and we did go ring shopping so I have a very good idea of what she likes, but work took a weird twist and the whole thing was delayed so by now I have regained the "surprise element".

This is incorrect. Sorry.

You can still surprise her with the date and time of your proposal. You can make it really public (at a family or sports event) or really private (just the two of you alone).

You can propose day or night.

You have lots control and a lot of surprises that give you the opportunity to be thoughtful.

You don't have to pick the ring, which you don't have to wear. You can get her input on the ring, thank her and tell her the rest is a surprise and follow though with that.

It's all about perspective. So, yes... it is all in your head

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
That "Beethoven" wedding set from Helzberg is spec'd with I2 clarity diamonds! They don't even mention color in their specs. Center stone is about 60 pts.

I'm thinking it may be better to head down to the LA jewelry district with the existing ring and see what's available and negotiate a deal. Too bad the OP is not in my state. My bench has some beautiful semi-mounts... under $1000 including setting the center stone.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little confused why he should be considering ebay or craigslist for engagement rings when he has a diamond...he only needs a setting, right? There has got to be settings with diamond accents that is within the price range?

Here are some I found:
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER5412W44JJ
http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER6444W44JJ
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Marguerite-Diamond-Solitaire-with-Diamond-Accents-by-Eternity-%28.17-ctw.%29-137.htm
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Gwen-Diamond-Ring-with-Split-Shank-%28.32-ctw.%29-122.htm

I honestly don't think you'll be able to get an identical setting to the original one you posted, but you can still pick something vintage in style for around $1000.

If you up your budget a little, here are some options:
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Three-Stone-Halo-Ring-With-Split-Shank-513.htm

http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Zora-diamond-ring-with-diamond-accents-and-diamond-studded-band-by-Eternity-%28.40-ctw.%29-257.htm

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER5705W44JJ

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I think the point was to get something substantially close to the setting his gf liked, so second hand would be the way to go (other than Lord of the Gem Rings/Ebay).

JohnyBoon

Rough_Rock
You guys are amazing.. I was really surprised to see that there is a forum like this one, where people actually try to help (instead of "pitching" their products/services). I cannot even explain how appreciative I am for all your help and advice.

OcnGypZ - it is too bad I am not in your State... Meeting up with someone like yourself who actually knows the industry would be so great.. And beautiful semi-mounts... under $1000 including setting the center stone sounds super :)

mandasand - Ebay/CL came up due to the fact that a pre-owned ring would be substantially cheaper than a new one. Definitely a lot of value for money in those 2. Having said that, I went through the rings you suggested, and some of them were pretty close to what I am looking for. The problem is that I have found many designs that are close to ideal, but none of them that are just right yet. Maybe my standards are too high after seeing that one RB ring. It really looked perfect on her and I could see her eyes light up when she put it on.

If I saw that everything within my budget looked way off what I am hoping for, then I would propose with what I have. If there is anything that I would like to avoid is spending my tight budget on something that she doesn't like.. But I see that we are so close. That makes me think that the right ring is just waiting to be found!

webdiva - Exactly.

Now, the reason I haven't posted here for a few days is that I have been looking non stop. Only online so far.. I am so busy with work and the little free time that I have I spent it with my gf so it's very hard to actually go out ring shopping. I haven't even had a chance to go get the stone actually appraised and measured.

Having said that, I think I stumbled upon something that looks VERY promising. To my inexperienced eyes, it seems as if it's EXACTLY what I was looking for, with the perfect "flaws" to bring the price down and make it fit my limited budget. Here is what I am talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLAMOROUS-DIAMOND-18K-WHITE-GOLD-MICROPAVE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-MOUNT-/230763829724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba9899dc

The design is very similar to the one that she likes. Full of micropave diamonds to cover the whole band/frame.. With the sidestones that she likes.. The thin band that she likes... And the design is missing my stone (hopefully)!

Now, here are the flaws and issues that I am aware of:

1) Some small stones missing. Any ideas on how much it would cost to replace those?

2) The setting is intended for a round center stone measuring about 6.3mm- 6.5mm. From what we established here, my stone is 5mm - I will double check but chances are that it will be smaller than the intended size. Does that mean that I cannot use this ring or do you think that I can get someone to slightly alter it so that my stone works?

3) The current size is 6.75. I have to triple check, but I am pretty sure that my gf's size is 7-7.5 - does that mean that we will need more small stones or would we probably be able to resize it since the difference is not that big?

And here are some possible issues that I would need your advice on:

1) stones are SI1-SI2 in clarity with HI color - is that good, average, or bad?
2) The seller has a huge number of positive feedback.. however, he is still an ebay seller.. While I am a relatively experienced ebay buyer, I have never bought (and never thought I would ever buy) jewelry off of ebay. I don't know what I should watch out for. Do you see anything that would stop you from buying this?
3) An extension of the previous question - is the price good?

In other words, I need to establish if this is as good of a price as it seems, and whether it would be possible to use my stone with that setting. I then also need to figure out how much it would cost for me to set my stone on this ring, replace the missing small stones, and make it look brand new and shiny :)

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance once again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've bought from this seller before and they are really accurate in their listings. And they have a return policy. I would tell you that it's a good fit and to give it a shot, take it to a GREAT local bench and see about the repair/sizing issues. Except for one thing-- the center stone issue. It is bigger than yours is.

But... would you consider a sapphire as a 'temporary' center stone for this setting? If you would we can help you find a lovely one. The royals are doing it, why not you?

And then later on, for an anniversary you can replace it with a diamond, or just keep the sapphire.

I bought my friend a sapphire for his engagement ring. His now wife is thrilled with her ring. He was on a budget and it was the nicest set, but NO ONE knows that it was a budget set. It totally doesn't look it. I posted about it here with pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/[/URL]

totheleft

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1334226188|3169137 said:
I bought my friend a sapphire for his engagement ring. His now wife is thrilled with her ring. He was on a budget and it was the nicest set, but NO ONE knows that it was a budget set. It totally doesn't look it. I posted about it here with pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-friends-beautiful-engagement-and-wedding-rings.171767/[/URL]

WOW Gypsy. That's BEAUTIFUL - and I want you in my corner if I ever need another ring :)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Another option is to head to downtown LA with the stone and find a setting. Fortekitty has worked with David Klass, and I see reviews online saying he is reasonable - so you may want to try there first. She's posted some very pretty settings similar to what you want.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Just found David Klass's ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Klass-Jewelry

I hear he only has some stuff in there - so definitely worth a trip downtown.
607 S. Hill St. Arcade 1, Los Angeles CA 90014 (213)489-4569

That's the main jewelry district building and sounds like it's inside, when you pass the lobby elevators. Corner of Hill and 6th.

JohnyBoon

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - Thank you for your input. The ring that you made for your friend looks stunning. But I wouldn't want to get a sapphire in this case for 2 reasons. 1) I had already brought the idea up and she didn't like it - she said better to be smaller but a diamond, and 2) I already have the stone and from what I understand, selling it would be a waste since I would get only a small fraction of the cost.

webdiva - beautiful ring. Thank you for digging that one up! The ONLY issue with it is that it has the oval "holes" on each side and the band is a little thicker.. Then again, this also looks like it needs a bigger stone, right? So, is it possible to use a smaller stone for a setting intended for a larger one? If so, is there something about the ebay listing that I found that made you look elsewhere?

I will do my best to go to downtown one of the next couple of days to meet with David Klass and a few others over there and see what happens. I got to say that I am a little bit "afraid" of going there without someone who knows about diamonds, but I will do my best to restrain myself from making any impulse purchases, and that I take notes and pics so that I can show you experts and you can help me decide :)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
JohnyBoon|1334264730|3169543 said:
Gypsy - Thank you for your input. The ring that you made for your friend looks stunning. But I wouldn't want to get a sapphire in this case for 2 reasons. 1) I had already brought the idea up and she didn't like it - she said better to be smaller but a diamond, and 2) I already have the stone and from what I understand, selling it would be a waste since I would get only a small fraction of the cost.

webdiva - beautiful ring. Thank you for digging that one up! The ONLY issue with it is that it has the oval "holes" on each side and the band is a little thicker.. Then again, this also looks like it needs a bigger stone, right? So, is it possible to use a smaller stone for a setting intended for a larger one? If so, is there something about the ebay listing that I found that made you look elsewhere?

I will do my best to go to downtown one of the next couple of days to meet with David Klass and a few others over there and see what happens. I got to say that I am a little bit "afraid" of going there without someone who knows about diamonds, but I will do my best to restrain myself from making any impulse purchases, and that I take notes and pics so that I can show you experts and you can help me decide :)

The ring I posted can be modified, LOGR frequently does this. They post up an example of the ring, but you can ask for white gold, yellow gold, red gold, modifications, etc. Message them asking the cost to modify it to fit your stone. And ask if he has another setting similar without the "holes".

Definitely go downtown and just go look. Even leave your wallet at home. ;-) It'll be better for you to see rings in person since you've seen the original one your gf liked. You'll feel so much more confident once you've done some research and seen rings in person. Definitely take notes - and have the jeweler right down your choices on a card with prices so you can remember which you liked. And yes, take picturse if you can. Good luck!

JohnyBoon

Rough_Rock
webdiva - I just stumbled upon your thread with reviews on Los Angeles jewelers... You are the just the right person to help me with this.. a local diamond enthusiast :) I understand that asking you to join me in my downtown adventure would probably be too much... but I would truly appreciate a "roadmap" of the stores that you think I should visit. I am sure you know that parking down there is a real mess.. so if you have any ideas about that, I would truly appreciate hearing them too :)

Basically, I will try to figure out a way to go there tomorrow for at least a few hours in the morning. Either tomorrow or Monday. I want to get there, park, go around a few different stores (with my ring... and possibly a credit card that I will TRYYYY not to use) and see what's out there. Can you tell me if there is a specific area where I should go so that I can park around there, and then a few stores that I should visit while on foot?

Also, in your previous post you said that the ring that you posted can be modified. Does that mean that the ring that I posted can be modified as well so that my stone works with it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JohnyBoon|1334302778|3169987 said:
Also, in your previous post you said that the ring that you posted can be modified. Does that mean that the ring that I posted can be modified as well so that my stone works with it?

No. She meant that they can order you a completely new one, but modified for your stone-- so it would be created to actually fit your stone size. I think you are on the right track with David Klass. I'd look there for sure considering the design and the budget.

And maybe if WD is feeling generous she might agree to help you out.

JohnyBoon

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1334303198|3169989 said:

No. She meant that they can order you a completely new one, but modified for your stone-- so it would be created to actually fit your stone size. I think you are on the right track with David Klass. I'd look there for sure considering the design and the budget.

And maybe if WD is feeling generous she might agree to help you out.

Thanks for clarifying Gypsy. And a second vote for David Klass... Ok, I am definitely visiting him then :)

Really hope that WD will help out..

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
webdiva - I just stumbled upon your thread with reviews on Los Angeles jewelers... You are the just the right person to help me with this.. a local diamond enthusiast :) I understand that asking you to join me in my downtown adventure would probably be too much... but I would truly appreciate a "roadmap" of the stores that you think I should visit. I am sure you know that parking down there is a real mess.. so if you have any ideas about that, I would truly appreciate hearing them too :)

Basically, I will try to figure out a way to go there tomorrow for at least a few hours in the morning. Either tomorrow or Monday. I want to get there, park, go around a few different stores (with my ring... and possibly a credit card that I will TRYYYY not to use) and see what's out there. Can you tell me if there is a specific area where I should go so that I can park around there, and then a few stores that I should visit while on foot?

Happy to give advice! I posted this on the previous page when we talked about Gabriel & CO:
"Johny,

Two places in downtown LA carry Gabriel & Co:

OSCARS DESIGN
550 S HILL ST, SUITE 725
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90013
213-622-1200

BRIDAL INC
550 SOUTH HILL ST
SUITE 620
LOS ANGELES, CA 90013
(213) 627-7620

Make an appt and go look. Before you go, go on the Gabriel & Co website - not the ones you like that are approx 20% above your budget (you can bargain or try idjewelry) and bring your stone. These are reputable jewelers, but don't make a hasty decision either. Ask them to see those setting that you can afford. Note the price, then talk to idjewelry to get a comparison. You'll save shipping to NY to idjewelry, but you'll save tax if you buy from NY.

BTW, parking is pricey, there's a place just before eight street, on Hill, on the east side (right side). Parking is only $3 (vs $18). It's underground. Have fun! "

Eli's Jewelry also has Beverley K and possibly some budget options. http://www.yelp.com/biz/elis-jewelry-los-angeles

And definitely make an appt with David Klass.

Your best bet is to make an appointment with all - Saturday is the busiest day and some may not even have time for you without an appointment. These aren't huge stores - it's more like small offices with jewelry displays. If you go Monday, you'll still want to make an appt. Take your diamond and a picture of the ring your gf liked with you - and give them your budget (remind that it includes tax and modificiations and ask for options. Try to bargain if it's close to your budget. Also ask if they'll pay you for the scrap gold in the current ring (check scrap gold prices online). If they won't - the Golden Ice guy will be there at 11:30 tomorrow and I gave his address one page back.

Best of luck!!

JohnyBoon

Rough_Rock
Amazing! Thank you very much WD!! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go today due to the heavy rain.. but Monday it is! I will call them all and make appointments :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results