shape
carat
color
clarity

Tilt windowing question about a yellow diamond I purchased

Rrolack

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

Recently, I purchased a yellow cushion cut diamond from Leibish, which I'm planning to have set into a ring.

Seeing the stone in person, something that surprised me about it was the amount of windowing when viewed at certain angles. By windowing, I'm talking about the ability to see directly through the stone.

From other threads on PriceScope, I've gathered that windowing when a diamond is tilted is completely normal, and that all diamonds will do this. What I'm wondering is whether this diamond exhibits windowing at much shallower angles than is typical.

To see what I'm referring to, below are three pictures of the diamond. The first picture shows the diamond head-on. The next two show the diamond held at a diagonal angle, which show the windowing phenomenon pretty clearly. Hopefully the pictures make the steepness of the angle at least somewhat clear, and please excuse the presence of my hand in the pictures :angel:

Any thoughts? If it helps, here is a link to Leibish's page on the diamond, including a video and the GIA cert:

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-26339

_37204.jpg

_37205.jpg

_37206.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Tilt windowing question about a yellow diamond I purchas

I do see what you do. But I think the stone is so stunning the color is so beautifully saturated and even, and the table is so tiny and the crown is nice and high. And I love the size and shape of it. And it's just the perfect shade of yellow. But I do understand your concern.

I would message the moderators and ask for this to be moved to colored stones, they are the experts on tilt windows. :wavey:

Rrolack

Rough_Rock

Any other thoughts based on the pictures?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ask. The. Moderators. To. Move. This. To. The. Colored. Stone. Forum.

They will help you there.

aftereffects15

Rough_Rock

It looks beautiful, I'd ask your jeweler to set it with a yellow gold basket

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First; thats a gorgeous stone. 2nd, I don't really consider that a tilt window. Yes you tilt it and see white but its on something white. I expect that will change drastically once the stone is set.

If you're buying for color and thats a great color. As said its nice and even and got the small table so you're getting that too.

If you're buying for optics, its ok, but you'd probably want to go with a round.

Depending on your timeline, you can certainly get all the things you want, but you'd have to be pretty patient.

If you were looking more for a colorless diamond, IMO I would say put the optics first. but colored diamonds are a bit different in that, they usually are cut more for color saturation first.

So with that, whats the plan to set it? many put gold cups under the stone to enhance the yellow color. You certainly could do that, you could also do gold head with a platinum body.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Honestly, I think that once you set that, you won't even notice the tilt window. I would set it in a yellow gold head and whatever you want on the shank. It's a gorgeous stone! :love: :love:

What are you thinking about for a setting? A halo will make the tilt disappear and an open solitaire will diminish it.

Fancy colored diamonds are cut for weight and color saturation, so sometimes optimal angles don't happen.

Amazing color! :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not a yellow stone fan but love everything about your diamond...the color and saturation is AMAZING :love: How does it look on your hand and can you show how the bottom is cut?

Like others, I think setting will likely negate or minimize the effect but can you put it out of your mind if it does? I know that once I see/worry about something, I often continue to "see" and obsess over it even if its not noticeable to others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results