shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany laser inscription hidden under prong?

ptsheep

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a second hand Tiffany six prong diamond ring. The seller isn't able to find a laser inscription on the diamond. Is it possible that the original Tiffany jeweler covered the inscription with a prong? I feel like that's something they would consciously try to avoid, but was just wondering if anyone's heard of something like this from Tiffany & Co specifically. :confused:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They'll probably need a microscope - at least 30x, to view any laser inscription. Note that only since November 2004, Tiffany has been inscribing on a crown facet (not on the girdle). If this ring was made prior to 2004, the diamond wouldn't necessarily have an inscription. Is the carat weight of the diamond stamped inside the band?

Every ring should be stamped Tiffany & Co. Pt950 or Tiffany & Co. 750 Pt 950. Occasionally a very old ring might be stamped Tiffany & Co Pt900 IRID or just T & Co. The signature might be worn and depending on the age the letter might look slightly different. The Tiffany & Co. 750 Pt 950 ring has an older version of the signature. Notice how the font is slightly different to the newer Tiffany & Co. Pt950

In around 2000 Tiffany & Co. started placing serial numbers on their rings. In the early days they began with a letter, later on an eight digit number began to be used.

If a ring was purchased in the UK it will feature UK hallmarks. These are very small embossed stamps which help authenticate the piece. The assay office who carry out all UK hallmarking will only stamp items with the T & Co. maker's mark is they actually come from Tiffany & Co!

Certificates are sometimes available with second hand Tiffany & Co. engagement rings. The certificate will either come in a Tiffany blue paper wallet or a black leather look wallet. The certificate itself used to be laminated, but now is not. The certificate details the principal diamond/s in the ring. It contains all the information about the cut, color and clarity as well as precise measurements which basically amount to a diamond passport. No two diamonds in the world are the same and no two diamond certificates are either. The certificate should have a raised stamp. The newer (blue wallet) certificates feature a watermark in the center of the page.

ptsheep

Rough_Rock
Based on my internet Tiffany ring degree, everything about the ring seems legit. The markings and serial are all present, in the correct typeface, and proper location. Inner and outer box are present. The only things amiss are A) there's no documentation and B) laser inscription on diamond can't be located.

I know there have been cases of the inscription being hidden by the prongs, but I can't find any reported instances of that happening with a Tiffany ring. Is inscription placement something a Tiffany jeweler checks for when the stone is being mounted, or is it just hit or miss?

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
It is highly doubtful that Tiffany would cover the inscription with a prong. The engagement rings I've viewed in the Tiffany store all had the inscription uncovered. Like ringo865 said, the inscription will be on a crown facet. From my experience, it is extremely difficult to locate even under high magnification.

However, I would definitely want to confirm the inscription before purchasing. I think they would make a conscious decision not to cover it since all of their stones have to be purchased preset in a setting and there would be no other way to identify it other than taking it out.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it is made prior to 2004 when they didn't inscribe. I think they did put the dia weight in the band tho, so if it says 1.02, but the stone measures off (larger or smaller), the stone could have been swapped out.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - you need to take it to someone who has much more powerful equipment that what you probably have. The diamond is valuable on it's own, of course, but the premium is for the Tiffany stone to be IN the aTiffany setting - I'm betting it hasn't been swapped. You'll want peace of mind tho.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember loupes used for clarity are only 10x magnification, you can get higher magnification like 20x which means you have to hold the item up to the loupe very close to your eye. A microscope will be needed for this if folk say it takes 30x. I have very good sight for seeing the smallest of things but could not find the stamp on a crown facet one time (a different brand whom I knew had it and the ring was
brandd new) but thought I may as my sight is so good at minute things, so I personally feel you cannot see it with a loupe. I have seen things with the loupe before that others could not so take it to a microscope if you have not already. Also the ink on girdle laser inscriptions washes off and there is just the indentation but I don't know if they use ink on crown facet stamps. I can easily with a loupe at 10x see the laser inscription on my diamond on the girdle but the black ink is all still there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results