shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany-inspired ering questions

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
I've scoured every thread on this, but still would welcome input from Pricescopers. With a lot of help from people here, I found a beautiful diamond at Whiteflash. I want a setting that most closely resembles the classic Tiffany knife-edge (prongs, side view, & the look of the metal). Leaning toward Vatche U-113.

I have a Tiffany Embrace semi-eternity platinum wedding band, so I want the look of the ering metal to match the look of the genuine Tiffany band's metal. Previous posts listed 95 platinum/5 ruthenium or 90 platinum/10 iridium. Does anyone know what combo Tiffany uses now?

Also, if anyone has gotten this design by Vatche recently I'd love to know how you feel they did?

Thank you!

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Oh dear, do you mean the knife edge is typically too sharp?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, he means the exposed girdles of the diamonds in the band will cut into the engagement ring shank or prongs. You might need to do a very thin spacer to keep the rings separated.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
No, he means the exposed girdles of the diamonds in the band will cut into the engagement ring shank or prongs. You might need to do a very thin spacer to keep the rings separated.

I have this ring and confirmed I accidentally did Damage because of this issue…. I had a spacer and was playing with my rings at my desk and forgot to put it back on and the next day could see marks on my prongs. Super annoying so if I had to do it over, I would have send them my band and had them build up the base a bit higher. But it’s a gorgeous setting and I am very happy with it otherwise.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany championed standardizing a minimum of 950 PPT (parts per thousand) PGM (platinum group metals) in the US - and limiting use of the PT/PLAT/Platinum stamps without purity specified to 95% and higher.

Tiffany does not use 90% platinum alloys.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for clarifying. My original rings were pretty simple. I’ll talk to Whiteflash abt a spacer.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
I have this ring and confirmed I accidentally did Damage because of this issue…. I had a spacer and was playing with my rings at my desk and forgot to put it back on and the next day could see marks on my prongs. Super annoying so if I had to do it over, I would have send them my band and had them build up the base a bit higher. But it’s a gorgeous setting and I am very happy with it otherwise.

So if they have my band they can design the ering so it won’t be damaged? Thank you, this is all very helpful!

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Tiffany championed standardizing a minimum of 950 PPT (parts per thousand) PGM (platinum group metals) in the US - and limiting use of the PT/PLAT/Platinum stamps without purity specified to 95% and higher.

Thank you. Hopefully Whiteflash or Vatche can make the ering setting with 95% platinum. Do you know if it matters whether the other 5% is ruthenium or something else? I want it to match the Tiffany band. I really appreciate all of this help!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both WF and Vatche will use this platinum alloy if you ask :))

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if they have my band they can design the ering so it won’t be damaged? Thank you, this is all very helpful!

Ask them about this. The problem is that the girdles from the diamonds will eat or saw into any metal they are touching. Making a setting higher will protect the prongs but will then eat into the shank of the ring.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Ask them about this. The problem is that the girdles from the diamonds will eat or saw into any metal they are touching. Making a setting higher will protect the prongs but will then eat into the shank of the ring.

Thank you. Maybe a spacer will make more sense, and that’d be fine. I’ll ask my SA. I really appreciate the feedback!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Correction - the rest of the world uses 95% platinum so as a global business Tiffany uses the global standard.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
My Whiteflash SA said the Vatche U-113 (the setting I'm using) has 95% plat/5% ruthenium. And I decided to go ahead and order a 1mm spacer from Whiteflash. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on all of this!

I'll let my SA know tmrw if I want to request any modifications to the setting. If anyone has made changes to their Vatche setting to make it resemble more closely the Tiffany classic knife edge ering, I'd love to hear how that worked out.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear, do you mean the knife edge is typically too sharp?

Maybe not what he meant but this is what my spouse experienced with her (handmade) Tiffany replica. It's very pretty but not as comfortable as her $75 (?) 14K YG placeholder solitaire mounting that she wore for 20 years.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my take on this: Think about what would be most comfortable and most aesthetically pleasing for you - regardless of what Tiffany may or may not do. A Tiffany replica is exactly that - a replica. It’ll never be the original. But a ring doesn’t have to be a replica to be beautiful!!

I would suggest considering an exaggeratedly rounded comfort-fit band, for example. A deviation from the classic Tiffany solitaire, but one that might make a world of difference in terms of comfort!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, don't order a spacer yet!!! I have the Vatche U-113 and never had a problem with a band touching the prongs. What size diamonds does your Embrace band have? Tiffany makes the lowest set diamond bands and they usually work with no spacer!!!

I think someone ordered that setting in the last few months and was not happy with the prongs (set by WF) but WF fixed it for them. You just need to provide a photo of what you expect. It would be good if we could find the one on here. I would not request any alterations. Vatche's design is good. WF has a nice one, also.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have the Vatche U-113 and a Tiffany Embrace diamond wedding band? Because it matters a LOT what size diamonds are in your Embrace band. And if it is not a Tiffany band, most others have higher settings than Tiffany does. So just because one band caused a problem does not mean that hers would. But I just asked her what size stones her band has to have an idea of whether it will be a problem or not.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
You have the Vatche U-113 and a Tiffany Embrace diamond wedding band? Because it matters a LOT what size diamonds are in your Embrace band. And if it is not a Tiffany band, most others have higher settings than Tiffany does. So just because one band caused a problem does not mean that hers would. But I just asked her what size stones her band has to have an idea of whether it will be a problem or not.

Very fair point!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Whiteflash SA said the Vatche U-113 (the setting I'm using) has 95% plat/5% ruthenium. And I decided to go ahead and order a 1mm spacer from Whiteflash. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on all of this!
1mm may or may not work. My wife wear a 2mm spacer b/t her Vatche RC setting but her WF 5 stone band still come in contact against her Ering. Ask your WF SA for advise.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my take on this: Think about what would be most comfortable and most aesthetically pleasing for you - regardless of what Tiffany may or may not do. A Tiffany replica is exactly that - a replica. It’ll never be the original. But a ring doesn’t have to be a replica to be beautiful!!

I would suggest considering an exaggeratedly rounded comfort-fit band, for example. A deviation from the classic Tiffany solitaire, but one that might make a world of difference in terms of comfort!

@swingtime I've given you some thoughts on the Vatche in your other thread, but I would echo @yssie on her comments about the comfort fit band.

Being a guy, it's different for me, but once I slipped one of those bad boys on I knew instantly I would never own any other type of band. The comfort fit lives up to its name IMO. FWIW, I'm talking comfort fit on the INSIDE of the band.

The knife edge on the outside I can't comment on. Some ladies say they never notice it; however, my own thoughts are I'd want that softened a bit as I notice hard edges on tools, silverware, etc. Despite having callouses on my hands that are somewhat rough, I still notice those things so I'd think it'd be more noticeable for a woman with soft hands.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a Vatche U-113 for many years. It should sit at the same height as the wedding band. You never feel any kind of sharp edge. There is nothing uncomfortable about the ring. I doubt Tiffany would be selling a style for decades that is uncomfortable, either.

@swingtime I really hope you return and see my post above asking what Embrace band you have. Because you can likely cancel that spacer band unless your stones in the Embrace are very large.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your feedback!! I'm sorry I'm just now replying.

Diamondseeker, my Tiffany Embrace is the semi-eternity 2.2 mm band, with .27 carats. I think I could cancel the spacer, so welcome your thoughts. And I'm happy to hear that you're pleased with the Vatche-U113 as is. I know I've seen your posts and others' saying that. My DH votes for leaving it as is.

I love the look of the Tiffany set. While spending lots of time on this site, I've seen many photos of people's classic Tiffany erings, as well as the Vatche and Whiteflash versions, and I know that's the look I want!

Thank you to everyone for chiming in! I really appreciate any and all thoughts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can definitely cancel the spacer with the band you have! I know one member here who had that combination without a spacer. And I actually tried that band on with my Vatche setting when I had about a 1.6 ct diamond in it! If for any reason you find there's a height problem when you get the e-ring, we can help you find a spacer, but it is doubtful you'll need it.

9 stone .27cts.jpg

I just need to find the thread with pictures that show the prongs done correctly.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, showing you my tab prongs done by Vatche, and two different tab prong rings done my WF (when they set the stone, they obviously have to finish the prongs). I would suggest showing WF the pictures of theirs as an example of the tab prongs that you want. They are very similar to mine.

IMG_2916b.jpg

tab prongs.jpeg tab prongs2.jpeg

One other note regarding bands with this ring. I actually had the Tiffany Legacy band which is about 2mm in height and wore it for years with the Vatche ring with no rubbing issues at all.

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker, thank you so much for all of this information! I’m purchasing the Vatche setting through Whiteflash, so I assumed the tabs would be the same tabs I see on your Vatche setting (which is what I want). A picture is worth a thousand words, so thank you for finding & posting those photos. I can forward them to my Whiteflash SA, who’s been extremely helpful, to be thoroughly clear. I did cancel the spacer order. As you say, I can get one if I need it. I’m so grateful for all the help.

scarlettzzhang

Rough_Rock
I wear my U113 everyday and barely notice its existence! It’s very comfortable. The Knife edge is not sharp at all (not as shape as Tiffany’s, I did a close comparison w my friends Tiffany) I actually hoped the knife edge of my 113 could be sharper but it’s def comfortable and very good looking

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
That’s so great to hear! I did place my order for the U 113. Excited, can’t wait! Thank you so much for your feedback!

swingtime

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to help me with this process!! I wanted to share photos of my beautiful ring. I am over the moon!!

Also, in case it's helpful to other posters, I wanted to share the specs:

1.627 carat Whiteflash ACA diamond, G VS2
Vatche U-113 platinum setting, also purchased through Whiteflash (no alterations)

My Whiteflash SA was outstanding - always professional and responsive.

I am sooo grateful to the Pricescope community for sharing your knowledge so generously!

Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_66276_67120_ttr.jpg Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_66276_67120_top.jpg Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_66276_67120_g.jpg Vatche-6-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-from-Whiteflash_66276_67120_a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results