shape
carat
color
clarity

Sold Tiffany & Co. Elsa Peretti DBTY Long Necklace?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
I don't wear this necklace very often. Any Interest?
Also, what is the safest way to sell?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
What is the length, carat weight, etc? Platinum?

nkc

Shiny_Rock
38" long
4.32 tcw
Yes, platinum

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like a lovely piece!
I am sure others will chime in but lots of folks here use diamondbistro or loupetroop for selling.
A piece this expensive may be a good candidate for jewels by grace as well.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply. I have not used diamondbistro or looptroop before so would appreciate it if others could educate me on their seller's protection and other rules. Jewels by Grace offered me close to nothing for the piece which makes it not worth selling. I don't have to sell but will do for what I think is a reasonable price.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
any suggestions on a reasonable asking price? Retail price is $27,500.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany's prices are so high on those, and that will be the difficulty getting a good price. I had Whiteflash make a 36" one for me in platinum, but my total weight was less than yours. But it was MUCH less than Tiffany and they used superideal cut diamonds. How many stones does yours have, and are they all the same size? I can make a better guess as to value if I know the diamond specs.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
4.32 TCW and it has 24 stones of the same size and equally spaced. So, if I do the math, they would be 0.18 carat each.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine has fewer stones and they are 14 points each. Making a guess based on the cost of mine, I think you probably could have that custom made new in equal quality for about $10-13k. The Tiffany brand should add some value, but it may take awhile to find a buyer. That's a great classic item, though!

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your help. I will probably consider selling it for $13K - $14K excluding any other costs (for example shipping cost, insurance, etc.). Otherwise, I would prefer to keep. It is a little too long for me though and I prefer 30" - 32" long necklaces because I'm short. For some reason, I feel it is too much bling if I wear it in 2 layers:mrgreen2:
What would be the safest/ best place to list in your opinion? What have you used in the past?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the price suggested to you by Grace the consignment price or was it an offer from her to buy the necklace outright? If you are not in a hurry, the consignment option might yield a higher return than selling it directly to a retailer who will at best offer you wholesale pricing.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Was the price suggested to you by Grace the consignment price or was it an offer from her to buy the necklace outright? If you are not in a hurry, the consignment option might yield a higher return than selling it directly to a retailer who will at best offer you wholesale pricing.
Hi mochiko41 and thank you for your suggestion. I don't like consignment because I think I'm better off selling it myself. I think it is a popular necklace and I wouldn't mind keeping it if I don't find an interested buyer who would make a reasonable offer. Grace did offer to buy it... for close to nothing so I thanked her for the offer and that was the end of it.

Last edited:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mochiko41 and thank you for your suggestion. I don't like consignment because I think I'm better off selling it myself. I think it is a popular necklace and I wouldn't mind keeping it if I don't find an interested seller. However, Grace did offer to buy it... for close to nothing so I thanked her for the offer and that was the end of it.

Ah, OK, got it. I agree, the T&Co name does carry value and you have a higher chance of selling it yourself than for a non branded DBTY. (It sounds like my dream necklace so I can understand how you might prefer to keep it if you don't get a reasonable offer for it!)

LT and DB are listing sites only, they don't provide much support for either the buyer or seller - I believe the only protection you would have would be via the payment vendor (Paypal or credit card). I would not recommend LT or DB for your necklace due to the high transaction value. I know some other PSers have sold their items on Ebay (a bit riskier but has more support than LT/DB?) or you can look into "I do, now I don't" which provides an additional layer of security. Although, IDNID charge commission similar to the same rate that Grace would charge in consignment fees. You could also try Lang Antiques, which is a reputable retailer https://www.langantiques.com/selling-your-jewelry

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for providing this information. I did not know that LT and DB don't provide much protection and I'm glad that you told me. I will look into the other options you mentioned. PayPal Claim they provide seller protection so I hope they do. However, I read some reviews that sometimes they don't provide much protection for sellers.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Are you near any vendors who sell on First Dibs? Perhaps you could reach out to one of them to see if they'd be interesting in purchasing outright. You could take the piece there. Like Eragems or Dover or Oakgem or Betterridge or Beladora.

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

nkc

Shiny_Rock
You could have the necklace shortened to your desired length and use the excess for a bracelet!
I thought about that but not sure if it will lose its value if altered. Also, I already have the 32" necklace but don't have a bracelet.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
HI:

Are you near any vendors who sell on First Dibs? Perhaps you could reach out to one of them to see if they'd be interesting in purchasing outright. You could take the piece there. Like Eragems or Dover or Oakgem or Betterridge or Beladora.

cheers--Sharon
Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't heard of First Dibs before but will try to find out. My concern is that they will offer close to nothing but it is worth a try.

Q

Queenie60

Have you tried Erica at LoveAffairdiamonds? She takes consignment pieces.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw your question to me. The way to handle a private sale on your own for a valuable item is to use an appraiser (I used Neil Beatty who is well known here for a purchase before). You send the item to Neil once you have a buyer. He will provide an appraisal for the buyer and the buyer will pay him for that and the shipping to them. He holds the item until you receive payment (either wire or wait for a bank check to clear) and then you can release it to be shipped to the buyer. The other payment option is to use his escrow service which will cost a couple or few hundred dollars for an item of that value.

I honestly think you have about as good a chance of selling yourself as you would consigning. I think a lot of people look at DB and LT. You may get more for it than you would from a reseller, too. Can't hurt to try!

nkc

Shiny_Rock
DS - I will definitely consider Neil in the future. I did not know that he offers this service.
I sold the necklace recently.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
How do I report that this as SOLD?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question ...

Perhaps ask to heve this thread removed ?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do I report that this as SOLD?

Report the thread as sold to the moderators. They will mark it sold for you. Congratulations on selling it!

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Report the thread as sold to the moderators. They will mark it sold for you. Congratulations on selling it!
Will do. Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your sale! You just click "report concern" on the posting box and write item sold.

nkc

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your sale! You just click "report concern" on the posting box and write item sold.
I reported it sold about two weeks ago but for some reason it is not marked as sold yet:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results