shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co. Charm Leaving Tarnish Mark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I read something about this on this forum but can''t find the thread!

I recently purchased my first Tiffany & Co. charm and I LOVE IT! I polish it everyday morning before I put it on. But after a few hours of wear - I have a black tarnish heart mark on my neck
7.gif
What''s up with that?

I''ve worn James Avery jewerly daily and it never left any tarnish on my skin - never.

I don''t want to continue to buy T&C pieces if I''m going to branded everytime. Any else have this problem and better yet - a solution.

Thank you!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are you using to polish it?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metro, I got the Tiffany''s Xs and Ox ring in silver about 10 years ago and within an hour my finger was greenish black where the ring sat. The salesperson at Tiffany''s told me that some people have a more acidic reation to silver (which was obviously my case) and their suggestion was to coat the inside of the ring with clear nail polish. I had no real desire to do that so I ended up exchanging the ring for the yellow gold version. It might also be possible to have the charm rhodium plated?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I use my polishing cloth on all my gold and silver and it works great! Never had any issues with any other piece of jewelery tarnishing they way it does. I'm talking a few hours and there's a mark on my skin.
38.gif

I think you are on to something DeeJay. I was told by a friend that T&CO silver isn't rhodium plated and that that is why the silver reacts to my skin the way it does. If that's true then JA is rhodium plated. Hmmm...interesting.....

ETA: I just called James Avery headquarters and they said that they do not rhodium plate their jewelry.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
What if you try not polishing your charm one day and see if you have the same problem? Maybe the polish chemical is reacting in some way.

I have a few Tiffany silver pieces and have not had that problem... odd! Can you exchange it for another one (same style) to see if you have the same problem?

If not, I''d say rhodium plating might be the way to go.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 11:24:55 AM
Author: gailrmv
What if you try not polishing your charm one day and see if you have the same problem? Maybe the polish chemical is reacting in some way.

I have a few Tiffany silver pieces and have not had that problem... odd! Can you exchange it for another one (same style) to see if you have the same problem?

If not, I''d say rhodium plating might be the way to go.

I won''t polish it for a few days to see if that helps.

I had the back of the charm engraved. I need to check their return/exchange policy.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Update - I just spoke with T&Co. Customer Care and was advised that after some wear and routine cleanings, the tarnish will not to appear on my neck. We’ll see!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeez, with all the money those things cost you''d think they wouldn''t leave marks on your skin!! How dissappointing

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 1:40:48 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Jeez, with all the money those things cost you''d think they wouldn''t leave marks on your skin!! How dissappointing
Tell me about it! My husband is rather angry about it. The charm was a gift from he and my daughter on Mother''s Day.

What I don''t understand is why my JA doesn''t react this way - nor does any of my other 925 silver.
20.gif
I''m just going to wait it out for another week or see and see if it doesn''t get better. I''m keeping my fingers crossed cuz I already have my eye on a Tiffany''s bracelet!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results