shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone with 1 old cut

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Me again! Still trying to figure out what to do with my inherited 1ct old cut. I really want to put it in a ring, maybe a RHR. I will leave the larger diamond for a later project as it is too big for me at the moment.

i have been thinking of setting it into a 3 stone. However, do they all have to be old cuts?

I wear a signet ring on my right hand pinky. Any opinions on wearing a 3 stone next to it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course they don't all have to be old cuts - any ring can be however you want. However in my opinion it will certainly look better if the sidestones are old cuts.

If you want something that sort of matches a signet ring stylewise, have you thought of a gypsy ring?

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Hmm interesting, it is beautiful but I’m not sure it is my style.
I suppose what I meant is, why would different cuts look funny next to each other? I was thinking of putting .4-.5ct stones next to it, but I am not a diamond expert so am not sure why this would look odd. Thank you!!! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm interesting, it is beautiful but I’m not sure it is my style.
I suppose what I meant is, why would different cuts look funny next to each other? I was thinking of putting .4-.5ct stones next to it, but I am not a diamond expert so am not sure why this would look odd. Thank you!!! :)

I agree with @distracts but everyone has different preferences. The reason it might look “funny” is because they have different facet patterns and different ways of handling light so their sparkle is different and the overall appearance might not be harmonious. However you might enjoy the difference. Just speaking from our point of view I agree with distracts. I’d prefer seeing old cuts next to your old cut. The .5 carat stones while small and might not demonstrate as big a difference as larger stones would still might show enough of a difference to bother some.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an antique-style cushion diamond (ideal-cut AVC) center stone paired with two BGD signature H&A MRBs - I find the combo very pleasing to my eyes - YMMV.

upload_2019-10-6_12-29-7.jpeg

OP, I think your inherited diamonds are rounds and actual antique-cuts, yes? IMO the performance of your old-cut center stone will dictate the size/type of sidestones; you don't want the sidestones to be so lively as to overwhelm the center stone. Perhaps you'll prefer smaller ideal-cut MRBs or a well-cut pair of GIA XXX MRBs. Certainly you could take your inherited stone to a jewelry store to check it out next to various diamonds to see what your eyes like.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me:
Depends on the flavor of antique center-stone.
Depends on the flavor of newly cut sides.
And greatly depends on the style of the setting.
Many, many factors that are TBD for me to say if I’d like the outcome or not.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_dachsie has a great thread on searching for the right side stones for her old cut center. I believe she was able to find modern round brilliant diamonds that had a small table.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire/ruby sidestones?

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Thank you!! Yes marymm they are rounds. Quite old.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I paired modern rounds with my early ideal cut. But my old cut stone has basically the same proportions of a modern round, it just has fatter arrows and a few other small differences. The size difference between my center and sides overwhelms any slight differences in cut style, making them look complimentary. I am happy with my choice.

marymm's ring above works for the opposite reason -- the faceting, shape, and color of the center and sides are so different that it is an obvious choice to mix cut.

But I would not pair a classic OEC with modern rounds generally speaking, unless the side stones were so small that their faceting was not apparent to the eye. This is mostly an aesthetic choice for me.

What does your old cut look like?

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Dreamer, I am not sure how I would describe it honestly! I have tried to take pictures but it is so hard to get an accurate pic of it. It is not rectangular/cushion shaped. It is round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results