shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts with Aussie PS''ers..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to send my dust and thoughts to any Victorian PS'ers who may be affected by the dreadful bushfires..the most recent count is 50 dead and many many homes and towns destroyed..
7.gif

Also, to those facing fires in NSW and floods in QLD - I hope you are all ok and staying safe.
Of course, these thoughts extend to all Australians who have been affected, not just on PS..

cheers
AJ .

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
it is really sad thinking of all the animals and peoples lives and livelihoods lost...absolute tragedy. Sending a ton of dust and prayers to all affected in Vic, QLD & NSW.

I called my niece this morning to make sure they were all safe, thankfully the fires are nowhere near them. The sad thing is they are saying it looks like arson, if thats the case what a f'nut loser face tool to do something so stupid
38.gif

I hope all our Aussie PS'er friends are staying safe and are out of harms way.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
...sending dust and prayers as well.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I know Dee, I can''t comprehend why someone would start something so terrible on purpose?!
14.gif

If it is arson, and they catch them, Fi and I were discussing this - they should be charged with manslaughter amongst the property crimes. Why not? It is their fault people lost their lives..
38.gif

I have no idea on the legality of this argument, but it is my opinion.

Anyway, I am glad your family are safe.
Please check in other Aussies in harms way!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your kinda then I AJ as far as I am concerned it is murder, and they should be put away for a very long time whether they meant to hurt people or not, the whole thing is just so terrible and sad
7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 3:25:47 AM
Author: Deelight
Your kinda then I AJ as far as I am concerned it is murder, and they should be put away for a very long time whether they meant to hurt people or not, the whole thing is just so terrible and sad
7.gif
ya, ditto
38.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
It is utterly devastating. I can''t imagine how those who''ve lost their homes, or family are feeling. 66 are now confirmed dead here in Victoria and that number is expected to eventually exceed 100.

I''m just in shock that it came within a couple of kilometers of my house. And it''s not over yet.

I agree it is sickening to think that some of this is the result of arson. I simply cannot comprehend how anyone could take it into their heads to do such a thing knowing the amount of destruction and devastation they are causing.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
It''s horrendous here in Vic at the moment. My cousin lost everything, house, clothes, everything. Her and her husband literally grabbed their baby and one plaque off the wall next to the front door on the way out and left. They have only the clothes on their backs. DFs cousin lost everything too. DF''s Mum''s area is very close to the fires, but it''s not moving in their direction at the moment. You just can''t comprehend the total and utter loss.

This is a warning to those in rural areas, make a fire plan and stick to it. DO NOT WAIT TOO LONG TO LEAVE!! Most of the people who died lost their lives as they left too late.

To think some of these fires are a result of arson just makes me feel numb. How could anyone do this?

To all the VIC PSers, may you and your family stay safe through this terrible time. It''s truly Hell on Earth.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
The death toll just keeps rising
7.gif
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/5306498/victorian-bushfires-toll-climbs-76/ up to 76 and counting. There are even reports of people trying to re-light fires
38.gif

Softly So glad to hear your okay, that is really scary
7.gif

honey22 My heart goes out to your and your FI''s cousins and families, thankfully they all got out unharmed which is awesome news despite everything. Sending dust your FI''s mums way that the fires don''t come her way.

It is terrible to lose everything just in case fire does come near here is a little tip I learned from visting Canberra on university fellowship just after they had the massive fires down there a lot of people who lost everything started to pack a small backpack with their most precious possesions near a doorway/exit so in the case of event of another fire they could grab it as they left. It is terrible to think like that but it is terrible to lose memories as well.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My uncle has been fighting the fires here in Vic and is completely numb given what he has seen in the last 48 hours. The news reports are ghastly to watch, it's still all way out of control. It's so tragic and surreal, like something out of the worst nightmare-inducing movies. The sky over us was dark and tinged with red yesterday, it was so spine chilling, thinking about how close it is, and even worse to think what the people caught in the midst of it all are going through.

honey my thoughts are with your cousin and your DFs cousin and families, what a nightmare for them. Thank goodness they are all alive.

aj, I agree about the manslaughter charges, they are intentionally causing the devestation they created, so they should pay accordingly. Dad is a school teacher, and one of his students died at age 17 in the Linton fires three years back. He feels that the arsonists should be driven out to the scene of a raging bushfire and left there to fend for themselves. One of the most nauseating parts of all this is that a few convicted arsons have been firefighters themselves. UGH.

softly, so glad you are OK!! How utterly terrifying for you and your family.

Deelight, friends of ours live in a very rural area, thankfully unaffected by the fires this time, but they have a fire plan in place, which they've had to put into action a few times over the years. A trunk lives in their front hall with wedding and baby photos in it, and a few precious keepsakes, and of course food for the kitty, as they are the two things they grab first in the event of an evacuation! Terrible to have to think about but unfortunately necessary
15.gif
It makes me sick to think of being in that situation, what to save and when to leave. Horrible horrible.

Our thoughts are also with those caught up in the fires and floods up north, please take care all and stay safe.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
84 dead at last count, every time I recheck the news site, it goes up.

For anyone who doesn''t know, this is about an hour out of Melbourne, Australia''s 2nd largest city.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
This is so utterly devastating. I have been away and just caught the late news coverage. So many people killed many of them children. Over 700 homes lost and more to come.
Our country is beautiful but so so harsh
7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:54:40 AM
Author: DandiAndi
My uncle has been fighting the fires here in Vic and is completely numb given what he has seen in the last 48 hours. The news reports are ghastly to watch, it's still all way out of control. It's so tragic and surreal, like something out of the worst nightmare-inducing movies. The sky over us was dark and tinged with red yesterday, it was so spine chilling, thinking about how close it is, and even worse to think what the people caught in the midst of it all are going through.

honey my thoughts are with your cousin and your DFs cousin and families, what a nightmare for them. Thank goodness they are all alive.

aj, I agree about the manslaughter charges, they are intentionally causing the devestation they created, so they should pay accordingly. Dad is a school teacher, and one of his students died at age 17 in the Linton fires three years back. He feels that the arsonists should be driven out to the scene of a raging bushfire and left there to fend for themselves. One of the most nauseating parts of all this is that a few convicted arsons have been firefighters themselves. UGH.
Hi Dandi,

Oh I feel for your uncle, they must have seen some ghastly things. Thats what many ppl are saying, that the scenes are very apocolyptic
40.gif

Ditto to Honey - my thoughts go out to your families, how literally terrible for them.
Honey I was thinking about you, are you not in QLD at the moment ? (floods)..?

I have to admit it does feel very surreal, pretty much the whole eastern side of the nation is in various states of emergency and natural disasters..One has to wonder how much this has to do with global warming?
7.gif

Dandi, I think your dad's idea for a punishment is quite suitable
38.gif

I have heard that too that often arsonists will become volunteer firemen, and I do not think this is something specific to Australia - sickos, totally.
29.gif

Softly, glad to hear you are ok and your home was saved - I hope you continue to stay safe.

Kate - so very true, we do have a home of extremes..

***I would also like to take the chance to Thank all the emergency services workers and especially the firemen who are risking their own lives to help residents. Keep up the good work ***

*If anybody would like to contribute to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal fund, they can phone the red cross on 1800 811 700.*

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting the number AJ, I missed it and was going to ask if someone remembered it. I just also wanted to add that they are currently looking to replenish blood supplies at the red cross as well so if you can/want to donate blood please do so.

Dandi My sister, FI and your dad have like the same thought what these people did is terrible and so stupid, I am so sad for the poor familes having to deal with this.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto! If you can give blood today in Australia, then please do so.

The death toll is rising as we speak. At 7am this morning, it''s up to 108 people, and that number is going to rise when they can access to the areas devastated and find the many people who perished as the firefront passed over their houses.

I sit here this morning at work reading the paper and just crying. I can''t begin to understand who could do such a thing. To light these fires and be responsible for over 100 deaths. They should be dropped into the fire zone and left to suffer. Sorry, but that''s just how I feel.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for all of the losses mentioned. My prayers to all.
7.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prayers outgoing and so sorry for your loss.

Rock Your Socks

Shiny_Rock
i''m from queensland but the news now has the death toll now at 108 and could expect to rise to aropund 200. It''s gut wrenching to think in this modern day that this could happen, it''s incomprehensable. Entire towns and generations of families have been killed. I could''nt even begin to imagine how anyone could live on knowing they have lost their entire family. Apparently other than arsonists deliberately lighting a great numbers of the fires, alot of them are being attributed to mindless smokers throwing their cigarette butts out the windows in 40 plus degree heats.
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif
May all our prayers and well wishes be with all australians in the affected areas right now...
39.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
im so sorry for everyone who has lost loved ones and homes.

my family''s home hasnt been threatened yet. my brother in law is a cop and was called back from holidays to help identify bodies
39.gif

its just so awful and i hate being away from home while this is happening.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I was away for a few days without TV or newspaper, and last night I hear about this terrible tragedy. I`m still having trouble accepting the extent of lives lost and destruction. I truly hope they get the arsonists.

Prayers and well wishes to all those affected in Victoria.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of our Aussie friends and your countrymen and women.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
The latest figures are 128 dead, but police are warning it could rise to 230. I'm finding it hard to comprehend. Reading and watching the coverage is so heartbreaking. So many people just did not have time to flee. Whole towns razed to the ground.

E.T.A If any are wondering what exactly we are talking about, I've included the following links.

www.theage.com.au

www.theaustralian.com.au

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:18:08 PM
Author: softly softly
The latest figures are 128 dead, but police are warning it could rise to 230. I''m finding it hard to comprehend. Reading and watching the coverage is so heartbreaking. So many people just did not have time to flee. Whole towns razed to the ground.

E.T.A If any are wondering what exactly we are talking about, I''ve included the following links.

www.theage.com.au

www.theaustralian.com.au

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I agree, it is so beyond sad especially when you hear the suvivors talking as well many not knowing if their families and SO''s are safe, K-Rudd is even calling this a mass murder which for a pollie is fairly harsh words.

honey22 No need to be sorry I think a lot of people feel the way you feel, I have no sympathy whatso ever for the jerks that did this
29.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so awful. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

TGuy''s brother in law''s parents live out in country Victoria. We''re not sure where exactly though, but I am sure we would have heard from TGuy''s family if they were not OK.

It''s being covered in the U.S. press. The LA times ran a pretty intense story about Australian''s fire fighting philosophy, which is quite different from American''s I guess. Very interesting article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-wildfires3-2008aug03,0,1422284.story

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Words seem inadequate in the face of something so awful.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:50:18 PM
Author: TravelingGal
This is so awful. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

TGuy''s brother in law''s parents live out in country Victoria. We''re not sure where exactly though, but I am sure we would have heard from TGuy''s family if they were not OK.

It''s being covered in the U.S. press. The LA times ran a pretty intense story about Australian''s fire fighting philosophy, which is quite different from American''s I guess. Very interesting article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-wildfires3-2008aug03,0,1422284.story
Interesting article Tgal. The Victoria Premier has said the policy of ''stay or fight'' will need to be reviewed now. I think the fire front was so intense and moved so fast that many people just didn''t have time to go.

Reading the local paper today it would seem that most residents here were caught completely unawares.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to all who are affected by the fires.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 12:37:38 AM
Author: coatimundi
So sorry to all who are affected by the fires.
Ditto! I''ve been thinking about my Aussie PS friends and their loved ones.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
everyone is in my thoughts down there.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please add me to the people who are following the news with great sadness. It is natural, that, being a Pricescoper, my thoughts would turn to the Australian members of Pricscope at such a time. My heart is with you and your countrymen. I feel for you in your time of great tragedy.

With love,
Deborah
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results