shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Trillion Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loko007

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I'm finally down to a diamond that I like. It is a trillion .60 Carat VS1 D. The GIA report stats that clarity: feather, chip. Finish: Good, Good. Floresence = none. I am enclosing the reports I received on them as well. I was just getting the opinions on this diamond from people on here. I'm still in the learning process of diamons and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Loko,

I think I know which vendor has the diamond, do they give it the thumbs up?

loko007

Rough_Rock
They didn''t mention when they sent me the info. I replied back asking if it passed thier guidelines.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know much about trillions....but I don''t think I''d want to buy a diamond that came with a chip???
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 9:24:52 AM
Author: vslover
I don''t know much about trillions....but I don''t think I''d want to buy a diamond that came with a chip???
32.gif
Shouldn''t be a problem in VS1 clarity.

loko007

Rough_Rock
Looking at the images, I don''t see the chip. I know a chip isn''t a good thing for a anything let alone a diamond. Would this be a deal breaker due to that?

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
As a colored stone cutter, I usually inhabit other parts of this forum, but I noticed your post and thought I''d pipe in -- Unfortunately, I can''t see your pictures (no .jpg extensions on the files?) so I can only give you some generalities:

I generally agree with Lorelei -- A chip is not a good thing for any gemstone, but I don''t think it''s necessarily a deal-breaker for you (unless it bugs you on a personal level, then it''s a deal breaker!).

Much depends on where the chip is located, how large it is and if it threatens the stone in any way. Keep in mind that the grading labs will describe everything they see -- and they may see more than you do and maybe describe things you don''t really have to worry about.

For example, if the chip is a small nick off of the point of one corner of the trill that doesn''t leave a sharp edge, that might be o.k. It will likely be hidden under a prong and you''ll never see it. In fact, it might even be a good lever for price negotiation. (Chips are common on trills with sharp corners, also on classic princess shapes -- which is why I don''t usually leave sharp corners on my stones unless specifically asked to...) You could also have a tiny chip on the side of the stone only visible on the pavilion side. I''d be o.k. with that depending on the price.

On the other hand, if the chip is dead-center on the culet or on the crown near the table or anywhere it would be visible face-up, it''s definitely a deal breaker (and impossible to have a VS grade). Similarly, if the chip is confined to a corner, but has created a sharp edge that will chip again later, I''d reject the stone because it''ll probably chip more in setting.

Good luck!

peter

loko007

Rough_Rock
I can't personally see the chip in the pictures. I am going to put the links in again in this message with jpg extentions. I am waiting one the reply back from the vendor to see what they say about the diamond. Is it alright to name names on this forum?

I am worried about this chip, it looks like a good diamond except for that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 10:45:30 AM
Author: ptorraca
As a colored stone cutter, I usually inhabit other parts of this forum, but I noticed your post and thought I''d pipe in -- Unfortunately, I can''t see your pictures (no .jpg extensions on the files?) so I can only give you some generalities:

I generally agree with Lorelei -- A chip is not a good thing for any gemstone, but I don''t think it''s necessarily a deal-breaker for you (unless it bugs you on a personal level, then it''s a deal breaker!).

Much depends on where the chip is located, how large it is and if it threatens the stone in any way. Keep in mind that the grading labs will describe everything they see -- and they may see more than you do and maybe describe things you don''t really have to worry about.

For example, if the chip is a small nick off of the point of one corner of the trill that doesn''t leave a sharp edge, that might be o.k. It will likely be hidden under a prong and you''ll never see it. In fact, it might even be a good lever for price negotiation. (Chips are common on trills with sharp corners, also on classic princess shapes -- which is why I don''t usually leave sharp corners on my stones unless specifically asked to...) You could also have a tiny chip on the side of the stone only visible on the pavilion side. I''d be o.k. with that depending on the price.

On the other hand, if the chip is dead-center on the culet or on the crown near the table or anywhere it would be visible face-up, it''s definitely a deal breaker (and impossible to have a VS grade). Similarly, if the chip is confined to a corner, but has created a sharp edge that will chip again later, I''d reject the stone because it''ll probably chip more in setting.

Good luck!

peter
Great post Peter - thank you!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the ASET

locoaset.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
40x

Talk to your vendor when they have the diamond in hand about the stone overall and the chip.
It looks like it is from whiteflash so you would want to talk to Brian.

locodi40x.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS image

btw there are some files there with them you might want to protect better as anyone can download them and they will show up on google.

lokois.jpg

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I just want to say GOOD LUCK! I
30.gif
trillions and hope to receive one someday! Please post pics when its done!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 2:36:24 PM
Author: trillionaire
35.gif
I just want to say GOOD LUCK! I
30.gif
trillions and hope to receive one someday! Please post pics when its done!
36.gif
Ditto, I love trillions and can''t wait to see this!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the pictures, there is something that doesn''t seem right in the shape/symmetry of this trillion...I thought most trillions were equilateral triangles, but this seems more isosceles. The angles in the corners also seem a little off, and it may just be me, but I think the table is also rotated with respect to the edges of the stone. This makes the stone a lot less visually appealing to me. The trillions I''m used to seeing are more like this one. I would keep looking if I were you!

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
Now that I can see the images, I'd agree with jstarfireb -- there is something up with the symmetry of this stone. I suspect the cutters were doing the best they could with the rough available. This is usually the situation where cutters take the most liberties with shape. I'm willing to bet the outline of the stone followed the shape of the rough pretty closely.

I suspect the chip is small and of no consequence -- but I'd reserve final judgment until I saw the stone in person.

This one comes down to personal preference. If you like the shape of this stone, and the price is right, go for it. It'll sparkle and flash and you'll enjoy it. You'll also have something unique -- I suspect there you'd have a very hard time finding a match for it. But if you prefer a more classic look, or have reservations about the shape/symmetry/price, I suggest you keep hunting...

As a side note, trillions are usually more equilateral triangles. As I recall, the name "Trillion" was a trademarked name for a specific kind of triangular diamond. But in common usage in the gem trade, the names "trillion" and "trilliant" now refer to any triangular gem -- thus, it's important to at least get a picture of the stone to know what kind of "trillion" the dealer is offering.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 9:00:56 PM
Author: ptorraca
Now that I can see the images, I''d agree with jstarfireb -- there is something up with the symmetry of this stone. I suspect the cutters were doing the best they could with the rough available. This is usually the situation where cutters take the most liberties with shape. I''m willing to bet the outline of the stone followed the shape of the rough pretty closely.

I suspect the chip is small and of no consequence -- but I''d reserve final judgment until I saw the stone in person.

This one comes down to personal preference. If you like the shape of this stone, and the price is right, go for it. It''ll sparkle and flash and you''ll enjoy it. You''ll also have something unique -- I suspect there you''d have a very hard time finding a match for it. But if you prefer a more classic look, or have reservations about the shape/symmetry/price, I suggest you keep hunting...

As a side note, trillions are usually more equilateral triangles. As I recall, the name ''Trillion'' was a trademarked name for a specific kind of triangular diamond. But in common usage in the gem trade, the names ''trillion'' and ''trilliant'' now refer to any triangular gem -- thus, it''s important to at least get a picture of the stone to know what kind of ''trillion'' the dealer is offering.

Ideally, a trillion should be cut with a 1:1 L/W ratio.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that the shape of that stone looks very wonky (to use a highly technical terms). None of the three sides match, throwing all other angles off. The whole shape seems distorted.

If you decide to go for that diamond, I would also bet that it will require a custom setting to accomodate the shape.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not liking the shape either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results