shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this stone please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Hi Triggerfish... just wish to add a few points if I'm not already too late..

1) about low HCA scores... I got a 0.84ct for my engagement ring to my fiancee with a HCA of 0.7 and it looks great...

2) about size difference... the same 0.84ct also looked as large as (if not larger) than a 0.97ct we saw in a B&M store.. but then, my 0.84ct is what we call "a tat shallow" and hence came with a bigger diameter dimension... well.. just a little...
3.gif

3) about buying from James Allen... I did not buy the 0.84ct from JA but I did bought a pendant and necklace to go with the 0.84ct as a Valentine's Day present that was from JA and I definitely think they provide good and professional service...

4) about the original diamond being held by another person... a lurker who saw your thread maybe? it happens sometimes, coz if the people here recommend a stone you can be sure its a winner, so do place these diamonds you want on hold before someone else does..

5) all the best to you and your ring quest...

21.gif

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I do really like this diamond for some reason! I''d been looking at D-F and SI-SI2 stones, so I was pleasantly suprised to find a VS1 in my price range that still had the other specs I was looking for! I''ve looked at SOOOOOOO many diamonds, that I can''t for the life of me remember what the price was of this particular one. LOL. I emailed JA back this morning to get a price on it, since it''s listed as "no longer available" now on their site. I believe this stone is being held for ME, which is a good thing. I''m gonna need to sleep on it tonight though. I''m still pretty nervous about buying online. I know, I know....I need to get over it, right?

So, if I do purchase this diamond, would it be a good idea to have it sent to a local appraiser PRIOR to purchase? Does JA allow you to do that? Thanks again! You all have been a tremendous help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 7:51:15 AM
Author: Triggerfish
Thanks everyone! I do really like this diamond for some reason! I''d been looking at D-F and SI-SI2 stones, so I was pleasantly suprised to find a VS1 in my price range that still had the other specs I was looking for! I''ve looked at SOOOOOOO many diamonds, that I can''t for the life of me remember what the price was of this particular one. LOL. I emailed JA back this morning to get a price on it, since it''s listed as ''no longer available'' now on their site. I believe this stone is being held for ME, which is a good thing. I''m gonna need to sleep on it tonight though. I''m still pretty nervous about buying online. I know, I know....I need to get over it, right?

So, if I do purchase this diamond, would it be a good idea to have it sent to a local appraiser PRIOR to purchase? Does JA allow you to do that? Thanks again! You all have been a tremendous help!
You would need to ask JA about that, you can use the return period to get an appraisal if you wish. It is natural to be a bit nervous, this is after all a big purchase!! But rest assured JA are a great company with an excellent rep and you can have every confidence!

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
I checked with JA this morning regarding having it sent to a local independent appraiser, and they do allow that. I would be responsible for shipping charges, and of course any charges from the appraiser. So, I think I''d feel better about it if I did that. Which, unfortunately, leads me to yet another question.

I was kinda planning on buying the setting from JA as well. So, I guess I''d have to have just the diamond sent to my local appraiser, and if i decide to purchase, it would have to be sent back to JA to be set, and then FINALLY sent to me. Do you think having an appraiser look at it prior to purchase is worth the hassle?? Or would I be better off just purchasing it, with the setting, and then taking it to an appraiser?? I guess I''m just trying to get an idea as to what "standard procedure" is for buying diamonds online.

Also, I remember finding a list somewhere of reputable local appraisers, but it''s been awhile and I can''t remember where I saw it. Any idea what site that might have been?

Just for the record, I did request that they extend the "hold" on this diamond for me, which they did without any fuss. i have to admit that thus far, JA has been extremely pleasant to deal with! I''m starting to feel a little better about the whole online thing I think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 10:50:12 AM
I checked with JA this morning regarding having it sent to a local independent appraiser, and they do allow that. I would be responsible for shipping charges, and of course any charges from the appraiser. So, I think I''d feel better about it if I did that. Which, unfortunately, leads me to yet another question.

I was kinda planning on buying the setting from JA as well. So, I guess I''d have to have just the diamond sent to my local appraiser, and if i decide to purchase, it would have to be sent back to JA to be set, and then FINALLY sent to me. Do you think having an appraiser look at it prior to purchase is worth the hassle?? Or would I be better off just purchasing it, with the setting, and then taking it to an appraiser?? I guess I''m just trying to get an idea as to what ''standard procedure'' is for buying diamonds online.

Also, I remember finding a list somewhere of reputable local appraisers, but it''s been awhile and I can''t remember where I saw it. Any idea what site that might have been?

Just for the record, I did request that they extend the ''hold'' on this diamond for me, which they did without any fuss. i have to admit that thus far, JA has been extremely pleasant to deal with! I''m starting to feel a little better about the whole online thing I think.
Heres the appraiser list

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

It depends on you, you could have the diamond appraised, have it set then get the appraiser to inspect the whole ring and value it, alternatively you could have the diamond sent to the appraiser and you could view it there.

I am glad you are having such a positive experience with JA, they are a good company!

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Wow! Just got an email from JA regarding this diamond (the one we''ve been discussing), and he quoted me a price of $3,190 with Price Scope discount! That''s insane! It was originally $4,090 I''m kinda thinking it might have been a mistake actually, but I have it saved in my email......right there in black and white. I REALLY hope they actually honor this price, but I have a feeling they''re gonna try to back out of it.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/18/2009 5:25:37 PM
Wow! Just got an email from JA regarding this diamond (the one we''ve been discussing), and he quoted me a price of $3,190 with Price Scope discount! That''s insane! It was originally $4,090 I''m kinda thinking it might have been a mistake actually, but I have it saved in my email......right there in black and white. I REALLY hope they actually honor this price, but I have a feeling they''re gonna try to back out of it.

Your comment is really uncalled for and unfair to the vendor. If they should try to back out, then perhaps it would be appropriate. If it is a mistake they would certainly have the right to correct it, but to be called on the carpet before doing so is certainly unfair in my opiion.

Wink

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Triggerfish,

I don't know anything specific about the stone in question, but if the diamond was $4,090 a few days ago and $3,190 today that sure sounds like a mistake to me. I'll check in the morning, however, and see what I can do to offer you the best price possible.

All the best,

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Regarding your reluctance to purchase from an online vendor: I bought my first online diamond last week from James Allen. I wanted an eye-clean SI2, the sales associate at JA told me that the diamond I was considering was eye-clean, and now that I have seen it I can confirm that it definitely is. In addition, it is a beautiful diamond and was a great value. I highly recommend them.

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:08:34 PM
Author: Wink

Your comment is really uncalled for and unfair to the vendor. If they should try to back out, then perhaps it would be appropriate. If it is a mistake they would certainly have the right to correct it, but to be called on the carpet before doing so is certainly unfair in my opiion.

Wink

Relax man! I stated above that I had a feeling it was a mistake and they''d probably want to correct it!! Of course, I wouldn''t put up a fight or anything, so all this talk about about "calling on the carpet"?! What the heck are you talking about?! I was just shocked that he quoted that price, that''s all. No need to get your feathers ruffled. I''ve never purchased online before, and I have no idea what kind of discount PriceScope members typically get, etc. Really, no offense, but what does this have ANYTHING to do with you anyway?

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:22:20 PM
Author: James Allen Schultz
Triggerfish,

I don''t know anything specific about the stone in question, but if the diamond was $4,090 a few days ago and $3,190 today that sure sounds like a mistake to me. I''ll check in the morning, however, and see what I can do to offer you the best price possible.

All the best,
Sounds good! Like I said, it kinda sounded like a mistake, but hey....it sounded good to me!
1.gif

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Ok.....so I re-read my post a few times, and I guess I can see how it could have been misinterpreted. I apologize if this post offended anyone. I wasn''t saying that I was going to try to make anyone honor the quote I was sent. I was just suprised, and I guess in my excitement I didn''t choose my words very carefully.
I''ve looked at so many stones lately, that I''d forgotten the price of this particular one and was pleasantly suprised by the quote. I''ve replied to the email from the sales person I was dealing with, asking for him to double-check on the price.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry that I jumped the gun. As a vendor I am very sensitive to the damage that a few words can do, even when being done to a competitor. I do not even know James personally, so it was really an issue with my sense of fairness.

In light of your comments I can see also what you were trying to say and I apologize for not understanding.

Wink

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 9:10:32 AM
Sorry that I jumped the gun. As a vendor I am very sensitive to the damage that a few words can do, even when being done to a competitor. I do not even know James personally, so it was really an issue with my sense of fairness.

In light of your comments I can see also what you were trying to say and I apologize for not understanding.

Wink

Don''t even know James personally? Doesn''t that beer in Vegas a few years ago count for anything?

Seriously, though, I''m in the office this morning and it looks like the price on that diamond was incorrect. We''re working to get the correct pricing in the system and will be contacting Triggerfish soon to clear up the confusion.

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:50:32 AM

Wink

Don't even know James personally? Doesn't that beer in Vegas a few years ago count for anything?

Seriously, though, I'm in the office this morning and it looks like the price on that diamond was incorrect. We're working to get the correct pricing in the system and will be contacting Triggerfish soon to clear up the confusion.

Thanks Jim! I hope you weren't offended either by my post. I guess I could have worded it better. My apologies.

Make it a good price for me!
2.gif
I'll be in touch tomorrow if I don't hear from you before then, since I believe it's only being held through Friday. Thanks again!

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock

Wink
No problem Wink! I apologize for getting a bit defensive as well. I guess when I first read your post i was just a little confused. No worries.....

Triggerfish

Rough_Rock
I had a very nice conversation with Jim today. Jared Allen has really been great to deal with.

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with me Jim! I truly appreciate it!
21.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2009 10:50:32 AM

Wink

Don''t even know James personally? Doesn''t that beer in Vegas a few years ago count for anything?

Seriously, though, I''m in the office this morning and it looks like the price on that diamond was incorrect. We''re working to get the correct pricing in the system and will be contacting Triggerfish soon to clear up the confusion.

Beer? We had a beer? Dang dude, we better have another one then, this old mind is needing reinforcement. Sigh...

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results