shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So I''m thinking of actually really truly setting my spinel asscher (which I''m sure you''re all tired of hearing about). I priced what I really want, a trellis setting with traps, and it would end up being and eventually project. Also seeing the rings in RLG''s thread I wonder if my 5.3mm asscher is really just too small for a setting like that.

The lovely people at Dover think my stone will fit into this setting with minimal trouble.

But... that setting is nothing like what I would have thought I''d want. I''m not a blingy gal, but I really like the wide ribbon prongs and it looks to be a really nice piece. I contacted them on a whim expecting to hear that my stone wouldn''t work anyway, and lo and behold, here we are.

So whadday think? Would pave set off the stone, or detract? Is my inherent un-blingyness really a problem? Do you think it''ll complement the stone?

281x375.aspx

Thanks!
35.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
And the setting, for reference

195023_1_of_7.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be gorgeous in that setting. I like how the diamonds go up on the basket. I did not read the return policy, but can you return the setting if it doesn''t work?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think it will look great in that Dover setting.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think your stone would be too small for the ring you had in mind, but you (obviously) would have to find traps that are small enough (not larger than 4 mm at the longest part). You could also get baguettes or even emerald cuts and have them set in such a way so that they appear as though they''re traps (a skilled jeweller should have no problems doing that).

About the suggested setting - I think 34 full cut 2-pointers is a bit too much for a 5 mm step cut asscher. But you can downgrade them to frozen spit quality and "tone down" their brilliance
9.gif
Just kidding of course
2.gif
BTW, what caught my eye the most of all these photos, is the one that''s showing your e-ring; I know it''s not a colored stone, but it''s really something that suits my personal taste.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
So so far yeses?

CCN: I can interview the setting and return it for free if I don't like it in person. If I do like it, I can return it with the stone and they'll set it. So far the customer service at Dover has been aces.

Mr. ma re: I priced setting it with traps of the size that you're describing in the I/J eyecleanrange. I think I do want true traps rather than ECs or bags, and I could always move the spinel into that setting in a few years. Do you really think it's a bit much, or are you ribbing me?
2.gif
The spinel is actually quite brilliant in its own right and I'm tired of having it cooped up in the house all the time.

I will pass your compliments on my e-ring onto Mr. Merc, he did that all on his own, long before we found PS. It's not at all what I would have chosen for myself, but I love it and that's how all the best gifts should be, right? Thanks!

Any thoughts on the price/quality of the setting?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:55:08 PM
Author: mercoledi

Do you really think it''s a bit much, or are you ribbing me?
2.gif
I really do think it might be too much bling for the spinel. I might be wrong cause you never know how these diamonds will perform IRL untill you see them, but judging from the stats, they might be quite sparkly - and there''s over thirty of them.

Can''t spot any real problems with the quality of the setting, but I have a feeling the prongs might be a bit thick for the stone like yours (stone not overly big, and in a lighter shade of color). And I''m not talking about their width (which is fine IMO), but actual thickness. Lenght of the parts of prongs that folds over the stone also worries me; wouldn''t those cover too much of the stone? But I believe prong lenght is easy to adjust during the setting proces.

I''m not familiar enough with the prices of such settings in the States, so can''t comment on that.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your honest opinion. I'm a little worried about the size/width/depth of the prongs as well, I think I'll email them about that. Especially since it isn't really an asscher (no windmills)I don't want the prongs to hide the shape of the stone. Here's a not-necessarily-to-scale mock up. Too simple/common? I'm leaning toward interviewing the setting to find out. Since the stone is such a wicked shifter, I can't really find a picture that's representative of how it usually looks.

dovermockmerc.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um I think it''d look great Merco. Seriously. I''m digging that mockup photoshop (or whatever) job you did. I think if nothing else, it''s worth a look.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I adore your spinel!

I think it would look great in the setting you are thinking of.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 7:46:16 PM
Author: bling addict
I adore your spinel!

I think it would look great in the setting you are thinking of.
Me, too!

Lori

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think it would would gorgeous, merco. However, if this style is not YOU.. well, I would keep looking.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 10:31:25 PM
Author: icekid
I think it would would gorgeous, merco. However, if this style is not YOU.. well, I would keep looking.

I agree

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the setting is very pretty and it''s a good idea to take the setting for a spin first to see if it''s suitable for the stone.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look very pretty with your lovely stone.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ok, how about this one too? I originally liked this one better, but wasn''t sure it would work with my stone, and it has one feature that I despise, but I love the tapered bags, it''s a much more understated look. I''ll try out either this one or the one I originally posted.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this one. You''re right about the ribbon prongs hiding the clipped corners.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Oooh...me likes the deco one a lot - but then, me likes just about anything deco...a lot
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What part about it do you despise? The hearts? I think I like the baguettes too...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look better in the 2nd one. What part about it don''t you like?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the opinions! Sounds like the second one is preferred.

I love love love the look of the second setting, it''s similar to the Vera Wang EC E/W setting that I adore. It''s just so sleek and understated. I''m still waiting to hear if it''ll work with my stone. It has double prongs, and I despise the hearts. I doubt that they''re that obvious, but I wonder if it''ll always bother me. If they say it''ll accommodate my stone and can be resized, I think it''s worth a look in person.

Would it be silly to order them both?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s silly to order both at all! How else will you know which you like best right? Could you have something similar to the 2nd made w/out the hearts?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been looking for similar settings, but I''m not finding much. I have a feeling that custom is going to cost significantly more than this setting does.

Anyone seen any tapered bag settings recently? I didn''t find any at any of the usual suspects. Is custom at Singlstone fairly reasonable?

Thanks y''all!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ah, the joys of Pricescope. Someone purchased the Deco setting shortly after I posted it, so that''s out.

Here''s my new front runner. I like the way the bags are set, I''ve never seen anything quite like it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful stone. I am partial to settings where the ring tapers toward the stone, but I do share your concern about the size of those prongs.

Maybe someone with photoshop skills could set your stone into the new front runner and then we could vote?

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new frontrunner! I think it would showcase your stone beautifully.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Lovely!

And that forerunner is beautiful - as are a few others on that site. That''s given me some more ideas now, so thanks!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh...the front runner is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results