shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this old mine cut?

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Hi!
My boyfriend and I have been looking online for an engagement ring and I knew from the beginning I wanted something antique cut (old mine), and something 3.5+ carat. I haven't felt super strongly around color (though I do like a bit of warmth), and clarity at least eye clean.

Recently we went and looked at a diamond, but I can't quite decide how I feel about it as it's tough to judge the cut on these older cuts. I would love to get any of your expert opinions on this! Some pics/videos I love it and then others I'm not sure.

Specs:
Carat: 4.23
Color: Q/R
Clarity: SI1 (mostly twinning wisps)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair
Flourescence: Medium Blue

Dimensions: 10.61 x 9.27 x 5.88 (63% depth)

Another alternative would be to get a lab grown from a place like distinctive gems, but not sure how we feel about paying the same amount for mmd (though objectively better stats). Also I kinda love the idea of an actual antique.

Thank you all!

FullSizeRender (1).jpeg IMG_5655.jpeg IMG_5657.jpeg IMG_5662.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5659.jpeg
    IMG_5659.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 9

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
My boyfriend and I have been looking online for an engagement ring and I knew from the beginning I wanted something antique cut (old mine), and something 3.5+ carat. I haven't felt super strongly around color (though I don't gravitate to the totally colorless), and clarity at least eye clean.

Recently we went and looked at a diamond, but I can't quite decide how I feel about it as it's tough to judge the cut on these older cuts. I would love to get any of your expert opinions on this! Some pics/videos I love it and then others I'm not sure.

Specs:
Carat: 4.23
Color: Q/R
Clarity: SI1 (mostly twinning wisps)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair
Flourescence: Medium Blue

Dimensions: 10.61 x 9.27 x 5.88 (63% depth)

Another alternative would be to get a lab grown from a place like distinctive gems, but not sure how we feel about paying the same amount for mmd (though objectively better stats)

Thank you all!

FullSizeRender (1).jpeg IMG_5655.jpeg IMG_5657.jpeg IMG_5662.jpeg

Ask admin to put this in Rocky Talk. You will get a lot more responses there!

Also, some close ups would help people analyze the cut.

diamondsinthesky21

Rough_Rock
Okay! How do I ask admin? Sorry, new here! @psadmin can you please move?

I don't have any personal close up shots that I took, but there are a few on the jewelers site, not sure if I'm allowed to post?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ssshhhhh
I think she’s gorgeous!
But agree with @lulu_ma

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your engagement!

- Obligatory not an expert -
If you aren’t smitten - that tells you something isn’t just right for this to be the one for you.

Key will be to find out if it’s the lower color paired with the mbf that you may not like in some environments, or maybe the facet pattern isn’t what you might like it to be? Just guessing?
I’d ask to see (probably will be closer to 3.5ct ) stones with less fluorescence in that same color range, and with more defined/sharper facet pattern than this one has. That probably would help you pinpoint what it is that you don’t enjoy in this one.
Also- I like wonk in old stones. Maybe I woukdnt like a wonky outline stone such as this one in a setting like this- that may accentuate as it does.
I hesitate to critique more, especially without seeing more and super sharp photos. But especially so because where I may choose to compromise on parameters for a budget, probably won’t be the same where someone else would choose to, or at all.

I agree if you are wanting super light performance/no leakage - it’d be much easier to go to newly precision cut route.

I would jump off of a cliff before wanting to see ASET images of my OEC

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a fan of the facet pattern. Mine cuts are hard to find these days, but OWD recently posted a few so suggest reaching out to Adam to see if he has anything that meets your specs.

C23C1DDF-1616-4A46-835D-512879603C19.jpeg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I love OMCs and may be biased here, but I think the size and shape looks perfect on your hand. It's hard to tell from the photos, but is the right side slightly flatter than the left? A small tweak may make a big difference here. And would you consider a reset? I bet you would change all the nays to yays with the right antique-inspired setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results