shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this idea (I'm already nervous)

Scruffy

Rough_Rock
I've been with my girlfriend a little over 3 years. We went to Boston for our 3rd anniversary and did a tour of the city. While there we thought about doing something similar in Philly, since we live in NJ.

On Saturday, we were thinking of doing a tour in the city of brotherly love. I planned on doing the tour and taking pictures at the various landmarks throughout the day (including love park), then go to capital grille for dinner. At dinner, I hoped to arrange for the waiter to bring flowers before dessert along with a love letter that I wrote (she's been asking me to write her a letter for a while now). Once she sees the letter, I would come over and read it to her, with the last line asking her to marry me.

Does this seem like a reasonable request for the restaurant?
Do you think she would like it?
Should I propose earlier in the day, maybe at love park?

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks

Scruffy

Rough_Rock
Here's the other option I gave a little thought to....

We would tour Philly. Grab dinner and then head home.

When we got home, I would bring her family and friends in through google hangout (group video chat). She's very close to them, but her family and closest friends are all in TX. I would also include my parents on the chat.

*They will all be shown on the TV through chromecast

Once it was all set up, I would call her down, read her the letter and propose with everyone there to see.

Any opinions on either option?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure the restaurant would be fine with it, however I would make sure she is ok with a 'public' proposal. Some women would prefer it to more intimate. Keep this in mind for the park one as well. Out of the two, I prefer the park, because you can find a little corner or place out of view of EVERYONE, where as in a restaurant you cannot. If she likes more attention and you think is ok with a public proposal then do the restaurant.

For the family, would she be suspicious if she saw them all? Again, for me personally I wouldnt want this. What I might do is tell everyone together AFTER, which is actually really smart and saves a bunch of separate phone calls! But if she is that close with them, it might be really special to her that you wanted everyone to be in on it. You might have to plan this ahead of time so everyone is available (and make sure they dont blab!)

But overall you know her way better than I do :D

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Scruffy|1411007879|3752907 said:
then go to capital grille for dinner. At dinner, I hoped to arrange for the waiter to bring flowers before dessert along with a love letter that I wrote (she's been asking me to write her a letter for a while now). Once she sees the letter, I would come over and read it to her, with the last line asking her to marry me.

Does this seem like a reasonable request for the restaurant?

One thing is that the main dining room of the Capital Grille in downtown Philly can be quite loud, so the environment may not be as romantic as you think (if you were envisioning sharing a quiet moment with your intended). However, you could look into renting one of their private dining rooms:
https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/pages/private-dining/?id=8013

Nonetheless, this restaurant is very accommodating of special requests. We had an anniversary dinner there once, and I had a florist deliver flowers to the restaurant ahead of time, which the restaurant staff had placed on our reserved table when we were seated. Also, the hostess and waiter personally wished us a happy anniversary, and they brought us a special complimentary dessert at the end of our meal (on their initiative, not something I had made arrangements for myself).

So, overall, I'd say it's an idea that could work; give them a call and discuss it.

Good luck!

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Privacy would be advisable here.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep public proposals are a total no-no for me. I'd want it private and without all the embarassment of people staring! A quiet spot in the park (away from other people) sounds like a nice idea then go for dinner to celebrate afterwards...

Kasumi_Goto

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't want a public proposal either. Don't mean to sound rude too but if your girlfriend asked you to write her a letter and you do it then why would you want later on for everyone to hear it? Shouldn't that be special for her and you? I'd go for something more private with proposal and have dinner afterwards.

almazguru

Rough_Rock
I'm starting to get the feeling that most women prefer a quiet and private proposal. My wife definitely did - speaking to her now, she says that she would've probably run away if I proposed in public!

You know your lady better than anyone here so make a judgement call, does she love public shows of affection or does she push back a little?

I like the idea of doing it privately and then telling everyone together. It gives both of you more control over the whole situation and reduces any risk of unplanned events happening and ruining the whole experience :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results