shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ebay listing: AGS ideal solitaire

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Came across this AGS ideal solitaire on ebay. The cert is dated 2012 though and the listing says it was only worn for a month. Does that make any sense? Also the setting seems to have a lot of wear and tear in my opinion what do you guys think?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
No, doesn't make any sense.

Off topic a little...I met another seller trying to offload a 6-7 year old engagement ring and insisted that it is brand new and never worn before. She said that due to sad circumstance, she was unable to wear. However, her profile shows that she has kids and is happily married. I wonder what she meant by she was unable to wear the ring.

Reactions: Kya

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Came across this AGS ideal solitaire on ebay. The cert is dated 2012 though and the listing says it was only worn for a month. Does that make any sense? Also the setting seems to have a lot of wear and tear in my opinion what do you guys think?

What doesn't make sense? The report date doesn't mean anything. People hang onto rings for years before selling, that's not suspicious. The description sounds like the seller's friend is the guy and the ring was given back to him, and he hung onto it. I've had my friend's ring in my bank safe for like 4 years. She can't bear to look at it or sell it after her divorce... what can you do. It'll probably be there 10 years before she decides what to do with it. Anyway, the ebay ring looks really dirty with soap scum on the band and the crevices of the prongs, and medium scratches from regular wear. The dark patches look like stains, not scrapes. She probably wore it nonstop.

As for sad circumstances @La2020 , maybe the other seller was lying, or maybe her bf died without giving her the ring and she was given it afterwards. I just assume everything is used no matter what, and pay what's fair for used. I would guess a lot of the diamonds sold as new had previous owners and a few face lifts. Nobody would know if it was polished with a fresh GIA report.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you thinking of buying it? Seller has good feedback, anyway. Although no returns, sadly.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What doesn't make sense? The report date doesn't mean anything. People hang onto rings for years before selling, that's not suspicious. The description sounds like the seller's friend is the guy and the ring was given back to him, and he hung onto it. I've had my friend's ring in my bank safe for like 4 years. She can't bear to look at it or sell it after her divorce... what can you do. It'll probably be there 10 years before she decides what to do with it. Anyway, the ebay ring looks really dirty with soap scum on the band and the crevices of the prongs, and medium scratches from regular wear. The dark patches look like stains, not scrapes. She probably wore it nonstop.

As for sad circumstances @La2020 , maybe the other seller was lying, or maybe her bf died without giving her the ring and she was given it afterwards. I just assume everything is used no matter what, and pay what's fair for used. I would guess a lot of the diamonds sold as new had previous owners and a few face lifts. Nobody would know if it was polished with a fresh GIA report.

Totally agree

anon34985

Shiny_Rock

I agree with @ForteKitty, this doesn't seem suspicious at all to me? You could always ask what has caused the wear and tear on the setting? He could have gotten it second hand himself (the setting), or it could just need a good cleaning to be honest.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

The owner could have bought the ring recently but with the old certificate. The owner could have held onto the ring for years before they decided (were ready? forgot about it and found it?) to sell it. If she wore it nonstop, the gold get scratched easily so it has dings now. I don't see a problem, just a speculation.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unlike other posters, I can see why you are confused. Instead of speculating possible scenarios, I will address what you see as a discrepancy. It’s a big purchase and the pictures contradict the listing details. If it was in fact worn longer than a month, you are right to be concerned that an 8 year old certificate may no longer be accurate as in, did it get chipped, etc. That said, it’s a small ring so I don’t think it would be cost effective for the seller to recertify so if you really want it, you could get it appraised and if it’s not as described, request a refund. eBay sides with buyer in these cases. But you will invest appraisal fees in doing so—so consider that. Good luck!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Unlike other posters, I can see why you are confused. Instead of speculating possible scenarios, I will address what you see as a discrepancy. It’s a big purchase and the pictures contradict the listing details. If it was in fact worn longer than a month, you are right to be concerned that an 8 year old certificate may no longer be accurate as in, did it get chipped, etc. That said, it’s a small ring so I don’t think it would be cost effective for the seller to recertify so if you really want it, you could get it appraised and if it’s not as described, request a refund. eBay sides with buyer in these cases. But you will invest appraisal fees in doing so—so consider that. Good luck!

But a wearer can easily have chipped it on day 3 or day 230. Shorter wear length doesn't mean no damage. I agree it does need to be appraised and verified that the diamond isn't damaged, however, their asking price is near full retail. They'd have to consider a much lower offer to make it even worth buying used.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But a wearer can easily have chipped it on day 3 or day 230. Shorter wear length doesn't mean no damage. I agree it does need to be appraised and verified that the diamond isn't damaged, however, their asking price is near full retail. They'd have to consider a much lower offer to make it even worth buying used.

Absolutely

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I suppose I can see both sides of the situation. I just think that such an old certificate would warrant the seller specifying that the ring is in fact a lot older than the listing suggests. Much like if you were buying an 8 year old car which was only driven for a month, you would still take into account the acual age because you would need to consider how it was stored, has it been redipped in that time (the ring not the car haha! ) etc etc. I think I will just reach out and ask them. I guess I was confused if an actual new ring would ever be sold with a certificate dated 2012, I'm not too sure.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Are you thinking of buying it? Seller has good feedback, anyway. Although no returns, sadly.

Not too sure I was just surprised to see an AGS ideal stone on ebay. Being in Australia they are rare to come by and the seller is willing to post to here. I might consider if they come down on the price, the old certificate was just a bit confusing but I do see that it could just be that it has been held on to for a long time. We shall see! =)2

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Buying on eBay can be like the Wild West. You may be getting a great deal, but I tell people who buy on ebay to ask yourself the question would it be OK financially if you lost everything? I know there are more precautions built in now, but you take a chance.

I think if it fails the smell test and you are not sure, go by your gut.
Good luck.

Reactions: Kya

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Buying on eBay can be like the Wild West. You may be getting a great deal, but I tell people who buy on ebay to ask yourself the question would it be OK financially if you lost everything? I know there are more precautions built in now, but you take a chance.

I think if it fails the smell test and you are not sure, go by your gut.
Good luck.

So true thank you! Hubby and I call our ebay purchases throwaways, good value and won't be soul crushing if it all goes bad ;)2

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
I looked at the listing a little more carefully and it is really not a bad buy, or what I would say a good deal. I think the seller is flexible because they have “make offer”. I ran it thru the HCA and I come up with 1.4, so not to be rejected quickly. I guess you take a chance because no returns, what if the diamond is cracked, then you are SOL, but if you want to take a chance and get a really good price and that is the size you want, I am sure a jeweler can re-size for you, clean it up or put it in a new setting for you at that price point. There is an expression used here called “eye clean” and we cannot tell. Good luck.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Also, no harm in asking for more specific photos if you needed them. This seller is a long time seller with good feedback, and lots of listings. I don't think they would attempt a scam or a ripoff and risk getting their business shut down!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
OP
I looked at the listing a little more carefully and it is really not a bad buy, or what I would say a good deal. I think the seller is flexible because they have “make offer”. I ran it thru the HCA and I come up with 1.4, so not to be rejected quickly. I guess you take a chance because no returns, what if the diamond is cracked, then you are SOL, but if you want to take a chance and get a really good price and that is the size you want, I am sure a jeweler can re-size for you, clean it up or put it in a new setting for you at that price point. There is an expression used here called “eye clean” and we cannot tell. Good luck.

Thanks so much for looking into it, very kind of you :) I think I would consider getting it a a much more reduced price but I agree the issue of eye cleanliness is something I would need to think about first.

Also, no harm in asking for more specific photos if you needed them. This seller is a long time seller with good feedback, and lots of listings. I don't think they would attempt a scam or a ripoff and risk getting their business shut down!

Very true I think I might reach out to them later today just out of curiosity :)

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Keep us updated!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock

Yes. I speculated that it might be from an ex bf.. Or maybe an ex spouse.. I told her since she has been keeping it so long.. Might as well keep it for sedimental value. Btw she is offloading the diamond at the same or more expensive than the retail price. I contacted her since I wonder if she has listed wrongly.. Why would someone buy an old diamond sans the upgrade policy at the same price or more expensive than a new one?! But she insisted that the diamomd ring is new and justifies the price she is letting go.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I speculated that it might be from an ex bf.. Or maybe an ex spouse.. I told her since she has been keeping it so long.. Might as well keep it for sedimental value. Btw she is offloading the diamond at the same or more expensive than the retail price. I contacted her since I wonder if she has listed wrongly.. Why would someone buy an old diamond sans the upgrade policy at the same price or more expensive than a new one?! But she insisted that the diamomd ring is new and justifies the price she is letting go.

They can charge whatever they want. Doesn't mean anyone's gonna pay it. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results