shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond?

swell

Rough_Rock
Could anyone give me their thoughts on this diamond?

1.02 carat
Color:H
Clarity: VVS2
Excellent cut
Medium Fluorescence
GIA lab

Thanks! Also is it best to have a small, large, or no culet?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have the GIA report number?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have the GIA certificate information you will be better able to assess the cut quality of the stone as GIA excellent can encompass a wide range.

swell

Rough_Rock
I don't have the specific GIA # on me, but the dimensions are 6.56-6.53 X 3.97 -- DP %62.6, Table 58%, Very Small Culet.

Thanks

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
do you have the crown and pavillion angles?

swell

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I am new at this. 33 for crown and 41.6 for pavilion I believe.

Medium faceted girdle (3.0 %). There is another percentage that Ihave down as 75%. I think it was for the bottom portion of the diamond. I wrote down all of the dimensions but forgot the GIA number. The number is inscribed in the diamond as well.

Thanks.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the HCA scoring for this stone:

Holloway Cut Adviser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected: 62.6% depth, 58% table, 33° crown angle, 41.6° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish
HCA scores were adjusted Dec. 15, 2001 and Feb. 6, 2003.

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 4.5 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

You didn't give us an idea of the cost of this stone- but I ran a search on the pricescope search engine and here are the comparables....Only one stone came up and it isnt exactly the same specs, but you can try to gauge your pricing on this...

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-..._country=US&l_region=NJ&type_search=1&all=all

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Culet does not matter.

The proportions are not what I would like to see, the crown and pavilion are not particularly compatible.

But GIA Ex cut grade is not going to be a total dog. Will you see it in person or is it online?

swell

Rough_Rock
I have seen it in person. It is very shiny and sparkly. I need to get the GIA number and report. Could I possibly have some of the dimensions mixed up?

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
swell|1308370237|2948810 said:
I have seen it in person. It is very shiny and sparkly. I need to get the GIA number and report. Could I possibly have some of the dimensions mixed up?

May not be news to you, but it took me a while to realize that jewelry store lighting makes just about everything look shiny and sparkly. So the conditions you saw the stone in might not have been the best indicator of actual light performance. I could barely tell a fair cut from an excellent cut when I was in-store, no matter how many times I asked for comparisons.

This could be beside the point though, a GIA excellent cut probably won't ever look "bad", but those angles do seem outside the norm for a supposedly ideal cut stone.

swell

Rough_Rock
Thanks, the diamond looks great outside and shines beautifully. I am getting a good deal on it and it fits in my budget so I think I will go forward with it. What dimensions make it a little odd?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
HCA penalizes the steep pavilion. I would try to compare this diamond to some with HCA under 2, or an AGS0 and see what you prefer (just so you have covered all of your bases). You could drop clarity to VS and not see any difference with naked eye, and go up in cut.

Also, 'getting a good deal' is often not--you can search comparable stones on PS search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results