shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond? 2.47c H VS2 @ ~35k

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
Hello

I received an offer to buy this diamond. It's a 2.47c H VS2 Excellent cut/polish/sym for just under $35k which seems like a stellar deal to me. However it seems to have some inclusions in the table.

Any options?

Thanks!

2.47c H VS2.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would reject it because it scores 3.1 on the HCA.
Bad cut is never a deal IMHO.
Why spend $35K on something that should look and perform better?

3.1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good cut is much more important than color or clarity for a diamond to look beautiful and perform well with light.

Here's how to select a well-cut round diamond.
Get the following four numbers from the lab report and enter them into the HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor):

Depth %
Table %
Crown angle in degrees
Pavilion angle in degrees

Here's a link to the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Reject rounds that score over 2.0.
If it scores under 2.0 the next step is to get an Idealscope image. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

Compare it to this reference chart: http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart.asp

is.jpg

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info! I think I'm going to pass on that one based on your advice.

I think I found another one I might buy. My budget just apparently went up but it seems like a nice stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Numbers are fine - could be a nice one IRL, could not be, we'd have to have more info/pics to judge. This is because GIA rounds then averages numbers before printing them on the report. HCA specifically takes four of those inputs and tells you whether or not a stone is "likely worth pursuing further" or not - but it's a blunt weeding tool, not a precision tool, and some beauties slip through the cracks. High optical symmetry (again, no way to know from just the report) realistically means that HCA cutoff of 2 is bumped up somewhat

IMO numbers are nice, it's a super hard to find weight, you say price is good.. who is the vendor? Can you get a scan/photos, or see it if it's local? If not, but you're interested, I'd consider have it shipped out to you to inspect in-person - it'll cost a couple hundred in shipping, probably, but I really think you should have *any* stone shipped out loose to look at before getting it set, to make sure you love it, so this becomes one of those inevitable costs..

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1310154838|2964918 said:
IMO numbers are nice, it's a super hard to find weight, you say price is good.. who is the vendor? Can you get a scan/photos, or see it if it's local? If not, but you're interested, I'd consider have it shipped out to you to inspect in-person - it'll cost a couple hundred in shipping, probably, but I really think you should have *any* stone shipped out loose to look at before getting it set, to make sure you love it, so this becomes one of those inevitable costs..

That's sort of the problem. The stone came through a friend's uncle who is a jeweler. One of his brokers sent it to me but with no pictures and the broker it's from is an older gentleman who is unlikely to send any photos. There is no real return policy or evaluation period. I'm of the opinion I'd rather pay extra for some security rather than putting 35k into something I'm not happy with.

RayEarth

Rough_Rock
IbrahimSS|1310403772|2966553 said:
That's sort of the problem. The stone came through a friend's uncle who is a jeweler. One of his brokers sent it to me but with no pictures and the broker it's from is an older gentleman who is unlikely to send any photos. There is no real return policy or evaluation period. I'm of the opinion I'd rather pay extra for some security rather than putting 35k into something I'm not happy with.

Please please do not buy from a friend or any variants thereof - there are too many stories here that starts of with a "great deal" from a friend's jeweler....

IbrahimSS

Rough_Rock
RayEarth|1310427727|2966837 said:
Please please do not buy from a friend or any variants thereof - there are too many stories here that starts of with a "great deal" from a friend's jeweler....

I'm not. Don't worry ;)) . Wire to GOG is on the way. Frankly it's once again all the positive things that people have said about GOG and the fact that they provide IS images, etc and how friendly they were on the phone that swayed me. Plus it seems like a nice rock so I hope she's happy with it!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results