shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Asscher

KEJinSC

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I've been scanning some of the advice here for a few weeks as I search for a ring and stone. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I'm shopping online for a stone and ring because the more I shop in person the more I'm seeing a HUGE price difference from store to store for what I consider comparable items. However, I'm still trying to find some comfort in making such a purchase without laying eyes on the items.

I've been looking at asscher cuts. I'd like to get opinions on the following stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1275885.asp

There are 2 specs in the center but I'm trying to get an idea of how likely they are to be seen in person. This pic is much larger than the actual stone and they don't seem bad to me. Can anyone offer an opinion?

I'm looking at placing the stone in this ring:
http://www.since1910.com/engagement/henri-daussi/henri-daussi-micropave-diamond-engagement-ring-cws-ps301.aspx#

Thoughts on this are appreciated also.

Thanks,
Keith

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I personally think that you could do better. Some of the steps are too dark.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lil Misfit|1317330690|3029026 said:
I personally think that you could do better. Some of the steps are too dark.
I agree

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are going to get an asscher... it's hard to to that on a budget and stay over 1 carat. I would drop the expensive setting if that's an option (unless she adores it and that's her pick) and spend more on the stone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1317345417|3029272 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1332782.asp A bit deep but another option?
I like that one so far, worth getting an ASET and crown height on.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

KEJinSC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to stay around $4800-$5200. For a stone that I don't have an image for is there any indication as to how dark it will look? Would depth % be an indicator of that?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
KEJinSC|1317348294|3029313 said:
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to stay around $4800-$5200. For a stone that I don't have an image for is there any indication as to how dark it will look? Would depth % be an indicator of that?

no, and with an asscher I would definitely recommend images.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just to let you know, it takes some patience to find a good asscher at the right price. However, your budget is a bit low for a 1 ct asscher.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1317349966|3029342 said:
Just to let you know, it takes some patience to find a good asscher at the right price. However, your budget is a bit low for a 1 ct asscher.
Very low.

Have you considered a cushion? With asschers you need higher clarity. With a cushion you can go down to and SI1 and be okay. Also they won't show color quite as much.

Does she just want square... or step cut square?

KEJinSC

Rough_Rock
I'm just starting to notice that I can drop below 1ct and the size still be the same as some of the deeper stones I've seen in my price range.

She really prefers the asscher. We started looking at square cuts but she likes the cleanness of the asscher. I realize I need to get better color and clarity. I didn't think about darkness. jamesallen.com is about the only place I've found with good images. I was planning toy buy from since1910 because of the ring. Are there other sites with high quality images of stones?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1317345785|3029278 said:
I know you didn't ask but that setting is an accident waiting to happen. No support under the halo PLUS a huge airline. I wouldn't buy that for everyday wear at all.

That setting is very pretty, but for the life of me I can't figure out what's holding the diamond in there based on the pics!

Is that your total budget or just for the center stone?

KEJinSC

Rough_Rock
That's my budget for the stone. I can go higher, if needed. But that's just where I've settled based on what I had been seeing. I don't need the best stone out there but I would like something I'm proud for her to wear. I know asschers tend to be smaller from the surface view than other cuts.

She likes the halo/pave settings. I saw this one at a local store but they told me they didn't do much with asscher stones. So, I came online and started looking. She also prefers a thinner band. Maybe I'm just looking for something that is hard to find?

As I expect is usually the case, I knew/know very little about shopping for a stone and ring since it's been a lot of years since I've had a reason to. It's overwhelming which is why I've come here for help.

KEJinSC

Rough_Rock
Something else I'm looking for in a ring is one that has the stone up enough so that a straight band can be used and will fit close to the ring.

What does "airline" refer to as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Airline is the space between the halo and the girdle of the stone in that pic.

You aren't searching for a needle in a haystack. But the majority of asschers out there are, frankly, dogs. I highly suggest following up on that G asscher. If you can increase your budget, I would do so since you want a beautiful asscher for her to be proud of.

I normally never advocate rasing a budget but with what you want... I would for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results