shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 2.19 ct sapphire?

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to replace the sapphire that is currently in my engagement ring and after a lot of looking around I found this stone that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for! I'm hoping to get this forum's opinion on the stone and whether or not it has any apparent defects or red flags. I've read up on colored gemstones but I'm far from an expert so I highly value the trained eyes of you folks! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Etsy listing:

Youtube video:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
To me the red flag is the price. Too good!

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
To me the red flag is the price. Too good!

I had this thought too! Glad it isn't just me. Do you think the low price could mean it's inauthentic?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
And the video was made on October 26, 2017, another red flag.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Why is an older video date a bad sign?

I don't know the story of this stone but to me it looks like no one wanted it for a long time. Other PSers will explain much better what is wrong with the stone. I myself am looking for a good blue sapphire too!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this vendor used to be a PSer, but correct me if I am wrong. I think it looks good, but worry that it won't fit your setting. EDIT: is this the color you want? It is fairly light (which is of course fine, but a personal preference).

This stone is gorgeous and much closer to "ideal" color, but you might think it's too dark. This is what I would expect to pay for a 7x5 stone of high quality: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1335

Last edited:

kirkpatrickel

Rough_Rock
Just jumping in to say that, I’m in the same boat and I just bought a stone from Gemfix. Laura and Andrew were super helpful and communicative. If you can I’d browse their site for options. Sharing picks of what I bought. 28AB1DCD-95C8-4C3E-80AB-0C5B6748A501.jpeg A47648A8-3F48-40DD-B1FD-FFAD1C27A495.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just love that color! Beautiful!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Why is an older video date a bad sign?

It's not necessarily.

Gemstones aren't vegetables, they don't go bad with age or 'expire'. :wink2: They don't go out of style and need to be cycled in and out quickly (unless a dealer is starving). In fact, the longer you hang on to some of them (nicer ones), the more valuable they sometimes become. So an older video is really not in and of itself a red flag, particularly if a stone is expensive. This one... is not.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Just jumping in to say that, I’m in the same boat and I just bought a stone from Gemfix. Laura and Andrew were super helpful and communicative. If you can I’d browse their site for options. Sharing picks of what I bought. 28AB1DCD-95C8-4C3E-80AB-0C5B6748A501.jpeg A47648A8-3F48-40DD-B1FD-FFAD1C27A495.jpeg

I am hoping you will make a thread to show some different lighting shots as I love pictures of pretty stones. Need more pictures!

opulentopossum

Rough_Rock
And here's a much lighter option in case you prefer lighter tones (which would be good for your wallet since they are much cheaper haha)

lovedogs, I just wanted to say thank you so much for linking me to that beautiful stone! It's exactly what I was looking for, I just ordered it and I couldn't be more excited.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs, I just wanted to say thank you so much for linking me to that beautiful stone! It's exactly what I was looking for, I just ordered it and I couldn't be more excited.

Aww yay!! Can't wait to see pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results