shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this 1.5 Carat RB

dexterchach

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody,

I know people are not really a fan of Robbins Bros, but their 0% for 18 mos financing is so tempting! Please check out the attached IGI certificate. They're offering me this diamond for $8900. It's a RB, 1.5 carat, J color, SI2, Ideal cut. It's exactly the type of specs I'm looking for. The stone has a tiny tiny showing of carbon that can be seen with the naked eye ... Thoughts?

Screen%20shot%202011-07-25%20at%209.42.06%20PM.png

dexterchach

Rough_Rock
interesting. thanks for the input!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people, me included, consider eye-visible carbon spots to be the least-acceptable type of inclusion in a diamond -- only you can decide if you are okay with it. If you run a search for comparable stones on the PS search function, a number of GIA excellent or ideal cut 1.5ct RB "J" stones come up with VS clarity at apx $10,000 -- just slightly higher than your $8,900 figure. However, if your circumstances dictate you require the financing available at Robbins, it might be worth it to see if they can find an eye-clean J-SI1 for you. Another option might be to go with a smaller eye-clean stone which is affordable to you without financing, and purchase from a vendor with a 100% upgrade policy so you can reach the 1.5ct mark in the future.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI is not reliable grading. You have no idea what the true grading is, therefore, you can't determine if the price is reasonable. But you can assume that the color and clarity are lower than stated or else the stone would have been sent to GIA in the first place.

GIA and AGS are the two reliable labs. I wouldn't consider anything else.

dexterchach

Rough_Rock
are there any reliable online vendors with a 100% upgrade policy? i know Bluenile doesnt allow upgrades unless you purchase their "Signature Ideal"....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from Good Old Gold, WhiteFlash, and Brian Gavin. They all allow 100% toward trade-in on their signature/superior stones and some of their next level quality (select/expert selection etc.). All are great vendors with excellent reputations. I stopped looking for jewelry locally once I realized I could get better quality at better prices from places like these.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1311694376|2977068 said:
IGI is not reliable grading. You have no idea what the true grading is, therefore, you can't determine if the price is reasonable. But you can assume that the color and clarity are lower than stated or else the stone would have been sent to GIA in the first place.

GIA and AGS are the two reliable labs. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Ditto this and DS's recommendations below for vendors.

I think GOG has financing, and maybe WF as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results