shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these proposal ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mutombo

Rough_Rock
Hey gang,

I''ve picked out the ring and should be getting it within the next week or two. I''ve just been struggling with how I want to pop the question, and I''ve narrowed it down to two ideas.

I want my proposal to be unique, heartfelt, a total surprise, and above all, I do NOT want it to be cheesy/tacky.

A little background...we''ve been dating about a year and a half. My birthday is coming up at the end of Feb, and hers is in early March. We are planning a trip out of town on her birthday weekend to visit her sister and her best friend. I want to ask her before our trip (preferably the night before) so that when we go out of town that weekend she can surprise her sister and her friend with the news.

Option 1: For this plan to work it will have to be on or around my birthday, which is a little earlier than I wanted but I think it''s still a good option. I come home from work with a UPS box addressed to me, but with no sender info. I open the box to find a present wrapped in wrapping paper. The present has no card, so I mention that it must be a birthday present for me. I open the present in front of her to find another wrapped present. This one has a card on it that says, "To, XXXX, open immediately." Confused, I hand her the present and tell her it''s for her. She opens the present, finds the ring, and I propose.

I like this option because I think it will really take her by surprise, especially since it''s on my birthday and she will not be expecting to receive anything from me. The only downsides that I see are (1) I might not have the ring yet, it''s still being finished by Mark Morrell, and (2) I liked the idea of proposing the night before our trip.

Option 2: I was thinking about making a scrapbook with pictures from all the fun/important events that we''ve had together. For each different section of the scrapbook I would have little captions describing the pictures. I was planning on using a different font/color for the first letter of each description, and by the end of the scrapbook, the different colored "first letters" would combine to spell "WILL YOU MARRY ME." I would give her the scrapbook and we''d look at it together, then I''d pop the question at the end. I think I could do it subtly enough that she wouldn''t realize what was happening until the end of the book. (She''s smart as hell, but not very perceptive so I don''t think she''d put it all together).

The second option was my initial idea. I like that we''d have something to mark the occasion and she could go back through the scrapbook and remember not only those memories but also our engagement night. I could also give it to her the night before her birthday, and the night before we leave to go out of town. I''m just afraid that this method might be a little cheesy, so I wanted other people''s opinions.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to do this right. Any comments or favorite ideas are appreciated.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
My original message got deleted. boooo. here is the gist.

I like both options but I like option 2 much more. The effort that you put into the scrapbook will make your engagement that much more special and give you something tangible to look at in the future.

Regarding timing, I think your engagement should have its own special day. I personally wouldn''t want to schedule it on a birthday or too close to it (unless there was some deeper meaning associated with the date).

Mutombo

Rough_Rock
njseeker, thanks for the comments. I''m not too concerned with proposing around her birthday, there is a special meaning in our relationship to that time of the year. Besides, I know she''s anxious to get engaged so I think she''d be mad if she later found out I postponed the date just to avoid it landing around her birthday
9.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My gut instinct said to go with #1 because it will totally surprise her.

Though, after reading what njseeker had to say I am sold on #2. It would be great to the scrabook as a memento of the moment!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Both are cute ideas! As someone who was proposed to on her BDay, I can say that it didn''t bother me at all, I loved it.
I was trying to figure out if you could combine the ideas. Maybe the scrapbook is in the UPS box...
It''s a neat idea to have a momento of that moment. I would always cherish a book like that.

Mutombo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments. I''ve ordered prints of all the photos I''m going to be using, just waiting for them to be printed so I can start putting together the scrapbook.

Cheers!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Why not combine the two? put the scrabbook inside the present?

I recall someone here got engaged on her BFs birthday - she made him a nice dinner then he popped the question. It sounded really really great you know, she was surprised, it was romantic, and he got a nice dinner out of it too - after all the girl gets the expensive diamond - surely the guy should at least get a meal!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
oopps just realised crooked rock already had that idea
21.gif
and now i think about it maybe it was crooked rock who had that proposal im thinking of?!
36.gif

Mutombo

Rough_Rock
I finished up the picture book this week and it looks really great. Just finished asking for her father''s blessing and everything is a go! The big date is tomorrow, so after the weekend I''ll report back in with a story and more pictures of the ring. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 8:33:09 PM
Author: Mutombo
I finished up the picture book this week and it looks really great. Just finished asking for her father''s blessing and everything is a go! The big date is tomorrow, so after the weekend I''ll report back in with a story and more pictures of the ring. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me!
I LOVE this approach! Great job, buddy! Keep us posted!
3.gif

wilee-coyote

Rough_Rock
I for one love the first option. Here is another ide for you that I did with my fiance. Isent her flowers on my birthday that said "Heres to the best part of my birthday". This was not part of a proposal but she had to answer the question all day long "What did you get the flowers for?". when she replied "Because it''s his birthday". The smile was priceless.

Go with Option 1....

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results