shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on heart shaped spinel

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts on the stone below? I’m a bit inexperienced. Totally in love with the shape and how the heart is a bit wider than it is long. The stone is 1.86 ct with no treatments. The bright is lovely but its a little purpley in regular lighting...

Asking is $2,200 with shipping. I noticed something that looked like a crack in the video with the bright lighting when the stone is being flipped. Would love any opinions on the stone or anything mentioned above!

If you have any settings you think would like nice with this, please let me know! :)

Bright lighting

Natural lighting

Crack?
7BE93E6B-095D-4FC9-9B2D-3F8729C4A77F.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful and would capture my heart, too. By crack, you mean that line near the tip of the heart extending down from the top tweezer in the still shot? It could be an inclusion as well, like a rutile inclusion.

I would think about how I would want to set the stone, and whether the inclusion would affect that. I personally wouldn't feel safe setting that stone in a bezel with the inclusion so near the girdle, but it'd probably be safe to set with prongs. Would you love this spinel in a prong setting? Answers would vary by individual.

Only if I am confident I would be happy setting it with prongs, would I ask the vendor about the crack or inclusion, as a bargaining point. If you haven't come to terms with how you'd feel about an inclusion that (let's face it, doesn't detract from the beauty face up) might limit the risks you're willing to take with setting the spinel, then you might end up wasting both your time and the vendor's time.

voce

Ideal_Rock
BB42FC9E-3606-4534-A370-EE3C27DC765F.jpeg
Is this what you are talking about?
If so - don’t put too much stock into what I say, but I think it looks like weird reflections of the tweezers

I agree that what you circled are just reflections. I think what the OP is referring to is the diagonal line above the left circle, that looks like it extends to the girdle near the tip of the heart.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the bright light video, but the natural light one is underwhelming IMHO. I think most often it will look darker/more grey than the bright light video shows, so I would think about whether that's acceptable to you or not.

Edit. Also there's a window in the middle, which would personally bother me unless it closed once set. Just another consideration.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty. From my experience that purple/pink color will look a bit dark in outdoor sunlight but in no way unattractive. If you are going to wear it in office lighting it will look closer to the pink in the first video. In outdoor bright lighting or dim lighting it is going to be darker and closer to the second video.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was never crazy about hearts but that is one of the prettiest I've seen. I really like it. Nice proportions and the silhouette is a real heart and not a hokey imposter.

Tricky part will be siting the prongs so that they do not disrupt the lovely outline -- and others here could help. I know the tendency is to put a fat one right between the "cheeks" and maybe that's what I don't like...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty!

DK :kiss2:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color and the proportions. It’s definitely a winner to me!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I agree that what you circled are just reflections. I think what the OP is referring to is the diagonal line above the left circle, that looks like it extends to the girdle near the tip of the heart.
I saw you addressed that already and I figured I’d just be thorough. lol.
Thank you both!! I was actually referring to the reflections, lol! But I did ask the seller about what you had mentioned and she assured me it wasn't a crack.

It's pretty. From my experience that purple/pink color will look a bit dark in outdoor sunlight but in no way unattractive. If you are going to wear it in office lighting it will look closer to the pink in the first video. In outdoor bright lighting or dim lighting it is going to be darker and closer to the second video.
This is good to know because I'll be staring at it while im at work. LOL!

I was never crazy about hearts but that is one of the prettiest I've seen. I really like it. Nice proportions and the silhouette is a real heart and not a hokey imposter.

Tricky part will be siting the prongs so that they do not disrupt the lovely outline -- and others here could help. I know the tendency is to put a fat one right between the "cheeks" and maybe that's what I don't like...
Thank you! I feel the same way. I love the shape! Do you have any suggestions on prongs/settings? Would love your help since we both want to keep the shape of the heart.

It's pretty!

DK :kiss2:
Thank you! :)

I love the color and the proportions. It’s definitely a winner to me!
Thank you!! :)

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I love the bright light video, but the natural light one is underwhelming IMHO. I think most often it will look darker/more grey than the bright light video shows, so I would think about whether that's acceptable to you or not.

Edit. Also there's a window in the middle, which would personally bother me unless it closed once set. Just another consideration.

Thank you so much for your input! I've been reading through forums and the guide to first time colored stone buyers, but having a hard time figuring out what a window is. Would you be able to explain further please? I'm sort of confused whether its a window or the reflection of the middle of the heart? Sorry hope this makes sense!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate all of your feedback so much!! :wavey:

Any suggestions on settings?
I was thinking a pave, but open to suggestions. I have plain taste but the main things I like in a setting is shine. If anyone has suggestions as to the prong type and style I really need help with that too! I want to keep the shape of the heart as true to the gem as possible.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I find the proportions of that spinel particularly lovely as I prefer a chubby lobed wider heart.
I'm probably no help on setting as I lean hard into the antique. I immediately thought Edwardian. There are some lovely heart shaped rings with threads on PS though, really beautiful stuff!
HeartShapedDiamondRing_1024x1024.jpg

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone! :wavey:

I can't wait for the stone to get here so I can share photos! In the meantime, I have some questions about possible settings.

I wanted to do the heart with an eternity pave band. However, do you think I would need a halo around my spinel for protection? What would you all recommend?

Also looking for recommendations on trusted jewelers to set my precious. lol. I'm not sure if anyone in Hawaii has worked with this type of stone but I am looking around. I'm open to the idea of sending the stone out to another jeweler off island as well. I pretty much know what I am looking for, but needing input on the best person to do it. Like I had mentioned I want prongs that are not as pronounced and wont take away from the shape of the stone. Any other tips or suggestions are totally welcome!

In terms of cost would anyone be able to let me know a rough estimate? For a plain option i've been quoted $1,800 for the setting (in white gold), and $3,500 for the halo (in platinum)

Here is what I am wanting:
heart1.jpg

For a halo I was thinking something like this. 13AE0CDF-A764-447C-8769-72F253C75D05.jpeg

:angel:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Want to do something like this but of course with the colors swapped.

Anyone have feedback on this company? Couldn’t find anything on PS about them.

7AA3088C-AE2A-42CD-981F-C10E96AE48F3.png

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyone have feedback on this company? Couldn’t find anything on PS about them.

OMG! Some of her pieces are dreamy! I don't know her, but I believe she's Hong Kong-based. I'm guessing she's probably pretty pricey because of her clientele and they'll pay what she asks.

That being said, the setting is nothing unusual, so use it for inspiration and start asking around. You might want to start with DanielM, who is competitively priced.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
OMG! Some of her pieces are dreamy! I don't know her, but I believe she's Hong Kong-based. I'm guessing she's probably pretty pricey because of her clientele and they'll pay what she asks.

That being said, the setting is nothing unusual, so use it for inspiration and start asking around. You might want to start with DanielM, who is competitively priced.

Hi MrsKMB!

Thank you for your reply! I love her pieces as well... Not sure how I feel about sending my stones BACK to HK when I just got them from there lol!

Many many thanks for the rec! I will definitely check him out. Love the ring in your profile pic, btw! So beautiful and whimsical. One day I want to make a ring like yours but with pink stones so they are cherry blossoms!

I'm contemplating if after this I will continue doing custom pieces. It's fun but soo stressful!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
If anyone is interested, here she is in all her glory!!

Would like to extend a huge MAHALO (thank you) to everyone who has helped educate me on this thread! This is the first time I have ever done something like this so I’m thankful to have had the opinions of the experts! So much to learn and I’m already dreaming of my next project...

I now understand the struggle people have with taking accurate colored photos. Much to my surprise (and absolute delight) she pulls a nice red toned pink in darker/overcast lighting. Very hard to capture. She looks dark in these photos as well. It’s quite gloomy today but I’ll be sure to take more pics when it’s sunny out!
View attachment 819124 View attachment 819124

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It's a gorgeous spinel and I love the ring design! Perfect with the nails ;-)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome. Love the prong placement, too!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out so lovely! What a precious ring!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
What a beauty!!! I just love her! More pics pretty please!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

Would like to extend a huge MAHALO (thank you) to everyone who has helped educate me on this thread! This is the first time I have ever done something like this so I’m thankful to have had the opinions of the experts! So much to learn and I’m already dreaming of my next project...

I now understand the struggle people have with taking accurate colored photos. Much to my surprise (and absolute delight) she pulls a nice red toned pink in darker/overcast lighting. Very hard to capture. She looks dark in these photos as well. It’s quite gloomy today but I’ll be sure to take more pics when it’s sunny out!

She is adorable and may I say that is the most perfect heart shape I have ever seen in my life! It’s the way the bottom curves in ever so slightly, when most cutters go for a regular trillion point there. I love that you went for a simple setting that really showcases how amazing the shape is.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock

I think I deleted my photos! 2C9A4FDE-FF42-416E-A87E-E444115AA5E6.jpeg BE826726-6251-4D5D-B7AB-D57B7712AFA4.jpeg 8376A4E5-B8A6-4396-9AB4-B6AF03ADA9BD.jpeg 632A1676-1DCB-4EA6-B47F-1C47CBD7ADAF.jpeg

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
She is adorable and may I say that is the most perfect heart shape I have ever seen in my life! It’s the way the bottom curves in ever so slightly, when most cutters go for a regular trillion point there. I love that you went for a simple setting that really showcases how amazing the shape is.

That means soooo much coming from you! I’ve seen some of your pieces and they are seriously works of art!

I’m really happy with the setting! I made it really clear to the jeweler that I hate the look of prongs and gave him examples I liked lol. He called these petite, which I agree with. I also told him I need the shape to stay as true to the original as possible. He also did a comfort fit style to help me avoid the finger muffin top look! Sooo good!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
E1FD75EA-8226-46A5-882B-309C75BFC396.jpeg
The cutest undercarriage!

F0B3EF8E-62E0-4461-A7B5-27AA4554B0B7.jpeg
Side profile, rounded edges for “comfort fit”. When she’s on I don’t even feel like I’m wearing anything! Asked for something like this because I really don’t like the scalloped side profile view of regular eternity bands.

DC21ADA0-89CA-4B91-B67E-94733E1C1AB2.jpeg
Very delicate pave eternity band. Can barely see the prongs/setting itself, she just looks like pure sparkle. This is the reason why I fell in love with this jeweler! Looks tapered but it is not.

Sorry for the picture overload! I’m just soooo happy with how it turned out! Hope my “notes” help someone in the future!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
She turned out lovely! I also love the little heart donut detail, it's just adorable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results